Chapter 20

Katherine

I rolled my eyes. Well no duh, of course we're in terrible danger. I've nearly died like ten million times by now. There's an army of crazy monsters led by a crazy lord who wants to take over the world coming after us. Of course we're in danger. We didn't need to be told of this.

"I know you all already know this, but I need to tell you one last time," Madeline continued, choosing to ignore my eye roll. I'm actually surprised she hasn't killed me or turned me into a frog yet, given the way I'd been acting towards her. I suppose a little courtesy wouldn't hurt. After all, she is the most powerful sorceress in all of Crystallea...

"Lord Victor is a ruthless, evil man. He would stop at nothing to find you seven and kill you all. He would stop at nothing to achieve his goal of world domination. You need to be careful."

"But we don't even have a perfect plan. Our plan right now is to reach his stronghold by winter and destroy his source of power, which is the only thing keeping the Evils alive. Is there anything useful that you know that might help us?" Indigo asked.

"Mmmm." Madeline tapped a finger against her chin. "Nothing that you all already don't know...Oh! I can tell you for sure, that his source of power is a crystal ball."

"A crystal ball?!" I exchanged glances with Aaron.

"No, not the purple swirl-y kind fortune tellers use," Madeline rolled her eyes at us. "It's big enough to fit snugly in one cupped hand. It glows yellow and I think there's like sparkles in it or something. Anyway, to destroy it, you have to shatter the glass and release the power stored inside. It's like magic trapped inside a glass orb. Once released, Lord Victor will lose his power, and we would've won."

"So all we do is get the ball and drop it on the floor?" Lucian asked incredulously. "Seems kinda easy." I agreed.

"Well there is a catch. The ball contains good magic, but it's been possessed by evil. So, it's not going to listen to you, if that makes sense," Madeline tried to explain. "If it is aware that you're trying to take it away from its master, it will fight you."

"The ball is alive?" Ashley asked.

"No, not alive. Magic." Madeline said. "Only a person with a pure and true heart can successfully near it and take it. Because the ball contains immense power. It will taunt you. It will corrupt your soul and turn you evil. It will make you want to keep the ball for yourself." Her green eyes shone with warning. "It will show you illusions and twist your mind. You must be careful. Remember, only a person with true and just intentions can approach and override the evil influence the ball's gained over the years."

"Only that person can?" Rachel asked. "But how do we know who has the purest and the truest heart?"

"There's even a prophecy for it," Madeline said. "Here, listen:

"A hoard of magic dost contain

Of the magical mythical orb

Crafted of good and tainted evil

Its powers have turned from the light

Only one with the purest of minds and truest of heart--

A heart with fire, true bravery, and good--

Only that one may approach safely

And set free what was good to the light