Chapter 68

Indigo

I watched Lord Victor topple to the ground. Blood formed a puddle around him immediately. Mere inches away from Lord Victor's head was Katherine, who looked up at me with a mixture of shock and relief. "Indigo!"

"Sorry I'm a little late to the party," I said as I carefully walked around Lord Victor and helped Katherine to her feet. "I hope I'm not too late."

The two of us ran over to Aaron and pulled him up as well. Aaron's entire side was soaked with blood, and a dagger was still stabbed between his ribs. Katherine carefully pulled it out and immediately placed her hand over the wound. Blue healing magic danced from her fingers to Aaron's ribs. There was also a bootprint on the side of Aaron's face, which I gingerly tried to wipe away, along with any blood. "Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere else?"

"I'm alright, just a little bruised." Aaron mustered a smile. "How are you, Indigo? You gave Kath and me a heart attack when we first found you."

"It's all thanks to Katherine's healing magic. I feel so much better than before. At least I'm not bleeding anymore, and I'm conscious." I smiled gratefully at Katherine, who returned the smile. Sure, my body still hurt all over, and I was covered with cuts and bruises as well, but it beat being unconscious and chained in midair.

"How long have you been conscious?" Katherine asked. "We've been so occupied with Lord Victor; neither of us checked on you."

"I've been conscious for a while now. I sort of heard you guys talking when Katherine was healing me. I tried to tell you guys that the orb was fake, but I'm not sure if I managed to say anything." I thought back. "Hearing Katherine scream was what really brought me back. That was before Lord Victor showed the memories. I watched the whole thing. It's...tragic."

Katherine and Aaron nodded gravely. Although there was no forgiving what Lord Victor has done, we all sympathized with the boy who watched his best friends and girlfriend die in front of him. I felt that if we had met Lord Victor when he was still a schoolboy, we might've actually become friends.

"Aaron's sword was on the ground near me. I had to wait until Lord Victor's back was turned to pick up the sword. He was busy shouting at Aaron, so I thought perhaps I could sneak up on him," I continued to explain. "I was so scared that he would turn around and see me creeping up to him. Fortunately, both of you kept him distracted."

"I saw you," Aaron said, a grin appearing on his face. "When Lord Victor was asking us questions, I saw you pick up my sword and slowly move towards us. That's why I tried to make him mad so that his focus would entirely be on me."

"Oh my gosh, was that why? I thought you had gone crazy," Katherine exclaimed, taking her hand off Aaron's ribs. "I kept gesturing for you to stop talking, and you just ignored me."

"You got his foot off my face, Kath, so thank you for that. I thought my skull was going to crack," Aaron joked. Both Katherine and I looked at him exasperatedly.

"Don't you ever do that again! What if Lord Victor got so angry he killed you?" I jabbed a finger at him.

"Don't do what?" Aaron pouted, trying to look innocent. Katherine slapped his shoulder.

"Don't use yourself as a target, dummy. Especially with someone as dangerous as Lord Victor. Didn't you see how he was losing it a little at the end? I was so worried that he'd crack and just annihilate you, Aaron."

"Alright, alright, just this once, I promise." Aaron put up his hands in surrender, and then winced as the movement stretched his rib wound. Katherine inspected the wound.

"It stopped bleeding, so I think you're okay for now. Just be careful, okay? I don't have unlimited healing magic."

"Yes ma'am," Aaron said solemnly. Then he glanced over at Lord Victor lying facedown on the ground. "Is he...dead?"