Chapter 11 - Competition

Sorry about the huge time skip.. I hope you don't mind:(

~

May 31, 2014

Ashton had been gone on the Where We Are tour for about a week now. I began to Skype him, and Kaely ran down the stairs to the living room, where I was sitting on the couch with my computer. I patted the seat on the couch beside me, and she sat down. Ashton's face popped up on the computer, and I got excited to see him again.

"Hey babe, hey Kaely. How are you guys?" He asked.

"We're good," I smiled.

"So.. Have you, uh-" Ashton began, but I cut him off.

"Yeah, I did," I held up a pregnancy test up to the camera. He looked at it, then at me.

"Please tell me there's another line there, and it's just that I don't see it," he looked at me, almost crying.

"No.." I looked down, "six months, Ashton. Six months!"

"Baby, I know. I know. This is hard for me, too. We will still try. We need to. I don't want to stop trying."

"We won't," I smiled a little.

"I promise you, the next time we get home we'll engage in.. coitus..." He smirked. I rolled my eyes at him.

"Little ears!" I scolded, pointing to Kaely and laughing.

"She doesn't know what that means. I could've used some pretty bad ones, but I didn't. That's why I used coitus."

"What does coitus mean?" Kaely looked at me.

"See!" I exclaimed at Ashton, then told Kaely, "that's a discussion for another time," I looked away from her, "Long, long into the future.."

"On the other hand," Ashton changed the subject, "what are you guys doing today? Is this the day Kaely has her competition?"

"Yeah! I've been practicing so much!" Kaely exclaimed, then did cartwheels and round-offs.

"Good job, baby girl!" Ashton exclaimed.

"Kaely, remember your form," I told her, "you can't just do cartwheels and round-offs. You need to smile and keep a nice form."

She nodded, then did a better cartwheel and a better round-off. I smiled as she sat down beside me.

"You're going to do great today, Kaely. I just know it. Skype me tonight once you get back from the competition because I have to go. I'll see you guys later. Good luck, Kaely," he smiled at her, and she thanked him. He hung up, and I got Kaely ready for her competition.

------

Later, I had Kaely's hair pulled back nicely, and I had her in her leotard. She ate just a little bit, then we were off. This was her first competition since she couldn't make it to the one last year, and she wasn't old enough the year before. She was super excited.

"It doesn't matter what happens as long you have fun," I smiled at her, "you've stretched, right?"

"Yes, mummy, a lot," she nodded.

When she was called to the floor, she did her floor routine which consisted of many cartwheels, round-offs, front flips, back flips, back handsprings, front handsprings, front walkovers, a backbend, back tucks, round-off back handspring back tucks, and a lot of other things. She also did her routine on the bar, the beam, and the vault. I watched her do everything and videotaped everything for Ashton to see. It was great. She really had practiced a lot. I was so proud.

When she was finished, she ran over to me and exclaimed to me, "I did good, mummy! They smiled at me and gave me a thumbs up! So did Paisley, and she gave me a high five!"

Kaely was one of the three girls in her section from her gymnastics class at this competition, which was really hard to do. Paisley was really proud of Kaely and how much she's done in the past few years. She's been in gymnastics for around three years!

We waited for a while, and Kaely was getting anxious to hear how well the judges thought she did. After a long time of waiting, the judges called all competing girls ages 4-6 to come in front of the judges table. They called out a few names so come forward.

"Josie Brown!" They called. She was one of Kaely's friends, one she had met on the first day. She was six.

"Johanna Greer!" They called next. I didn't know her.

Next, I heard, "Kaely Irwin!" I clapped my left hand against my right, the one holding the camera. The last name they called was, "Anna Wright!"

I couldn't wait to see what they were going to say. They announced, "these girls here are anywhere from first to fourth place!"

I got so excited. I almost dropped the camera. They called, "fourth place goes to... Johanna Greer!"

Kaely would be third or higher! They next yelled, "third place goes to... Anna Wright!" I couldn't believe Kaely would be first or second! This was a big competition, too.

After being told to, Kaely and Josie shook hands, but then they hugged. They were really good friends, and they probably didn't want to hurt the others' feelings by beating them. After all, they would each get second or higher.

"Second place goes to... Josie Brown! And our first place winner is Kaely Irwin!" I jumped around. They gave Kaely a huge trophy, and I got it all on video.

"Good job, baby girl!" I exclaimed, hugging her when she came over to me. The judges asked her over for a picture with the other three girls that got trophies. She was smiling wide. I got a picture on my phone, and set it as my lock-screen.

"Kae, let's go home so we can call daddy and tell him how well you did!" I smiled at her, and she thought it was a great idea. We said goodbye to Josie and her mum then Paisley before leaving.

"Mummy, can I get ice cream?" She asked.

"Yes, as a treat for how well you did today. Your round-off back tuck was amazing!"

"Thank you," she blushed, "I've worked a lot of it. Especially this past summer."

"I know that. Do you like having the big building behind the house to do gymnastics in?"

"I love it. It's really nice," she nodded, "this is the certificate I got! It tells me my scores!"

"9.945 on the floor, 9.965 on the bar, 9.875 on the vault, and 9.930 on the beam! Great job, Kae!" I smiled at her. I was so proud.