Chapter 22 - Real Father

The next morning, we all got into the car and left for the prison. I told Kaely not to be too excited because I know that she would be disappointed when she found out we were going to see Jacob. She was still excited though. I was not prepared for her reaction.

We all got out of the car, and we walked into the prison with me holding Kaely's hand. I didn't know what she was thinking, but she was probably scared of what we were doing and who we were going to see. I had always told her that the prison is where bad people go, so she was probably thinking about that while we were walking in there.

We had said to a policeman about seeing Jacob, and they called him out. We got to talk to him, the three of us sitting at one end of the table and him sitting on the other side of the table with an officer right beside him.

I had quietly said to Jacob so Kaely couldn't hear, "she looks nothing like you now that she's older."

He just laughed and looked at her, "yeah, she would be much better looking if she did."

"Shut it," Ashton spat, sitting down.

"Mummy, why are we here? That is the mean man who captured me, and he captured you a few times," she pouted and hung onto my sleeve, "I'm scared."

"You'll be alright, baby. He won't hurt you," I smiled at her then glared at Jacob.

"Why are we here to see him, though? I thought we were going to see someone special," she told me.

"He is special, in one way. Kaely," I looked up at Jacob, and he gave me a questioning look. I continued after looking at Ashton for reassurance, "this is your father."

"No!" She exclaimed, "he's not my father! Daddy is," she hugged Ashton, glaring at Jacob. She really did not like him.

"Kaely, no.. Ashton is what you would call your adoptive father. He adopted you when we got married, even though you've known him since you were almost a year old."

"So he's not my real father?"

"No, Kaely. I'm sorry, but I'm not," Ashton told her, looking her straight in the eyes.

"Jacob is what you would call your biological father, your real father," I told her, pointing to Jacob.

"I don't want him to be. I want to stay with you and daddy," she pouted.

"No, no, no, baby.. You're not staying here with him," I assured her, picking her up and hugging her, "you're staying with us, but we just wanted to make sure that you knew your real father."

"I'll never think of him as my father," she stomped out of the room.

"I've got her," I told Ashton, and he nodded.

"Kaely!" I exclaimed, "get back here!"

*Ashton's POV*

"So I see that Kaely thinks you're her father," Jacob laughed, "pretty terrible. She wouldn't be as cute as she is if-"

"You shut your mouth," I told him, "she looks a lot like Chloe and almost nothing like you."

"I can't believe we used to be best friends."

"Yeah, me neither. I don't know why I would hang out with such an asshole."

"I'm the asshole?" He asked, and I nodded, "you've kidnapped my wife once and threatened to kill her twice. You kidnapped my little girl and threatened to kill her if we didn't give you money."

"Yeah, that was pretty funny, wasn't it?" He laughed.

"Not one bit," I paused, "isn't it funny how I ended up in a band with my best friends now, better than you ever were. And we're going on tours across the world. Where are you? Oh, yeah. That's right. You're in jail because you're so interested in my wife. You're just jealous of me, aren't you, asshole? You're jealous of my wife and my career.  That's part of this whole thing. You're just mad that I have a better life than you do. Chloe and I are having a son in July. We're happy together, and you get to stay here, thinking about all of the things you've done. It's all because of our life choices. I make great ones, and you make terrible, selfish ones. You think it's funny now, asshole?"

I got up from the table and walked out of the room to see how Chloe was doing with Kaely.

"Is everything okay?" I asked Chloe.

"Yeah, I guess. Kaely is better now. She's just mad and confused, I think."

"She'll be fine. Don't worry. I've told you a million times that stress isn't good for you. I knew we shouldn't have came here now. We should've waited.."

"No, I'm fine. I just didn't know exactly how Kaely is feeling about all of this. I feel so bad for not telling her earlier."

"You can't take the blame for it, babe. You didn't want her to know her father because you don't like him and didn't think it was safe. But now, we figured it was time for her to know the truth, and she just found out the truth. It's not your fault," I assured her.

"Thank you, babe," she smiled, then kissed me. Jacob walked out of the room with handcuffs on and the officer behind him. He took one look at us and went, "ugh. You guys make me sick.."