Chapter 26 - "The Name 'Irwin' Would Give It Away"

Later that afternoon, I had realized that my period was late. It was never late, unless I was pregnant. That scared me, the fact that I might be pregnant. If I was, it would be our fifth kid. I cringed at the thought. Five kids, four of them younger than ten!

I decided I would check to make sure if I was pregnant or not. I told Ashton I was going to the store to get 'girl stuff' and left right after that.

I had gotten two pregnancy tests and driven back immediately before I walked into the master bathroom connected to our bedroom. After taking the tests, I anxiously waited as I had many times before.

When it was time to check them, I had a weird feeling in my stomach.. Part of me wanted another baby, part of me definitely did not want another baby. I walked back into the bathroom anyways.

As I looked down at the tests, I got sort of excited, yet sort of scared. They were positive. How would I tell Ashton? How would I tell the kids? I had no idea.

I walked downstairs after putting the tests in a drawer of mine, hidden amongst my bras. Nobody would look there.

Ashton asked me if I was okay since I had told him I was going to the store for "girl stuff". I told him I was fine, and we left it at that.

Bronx was running around in the playroom while Kaely was out in the warehouse with Harper, working on their gymnastics. Ashton had Adelaide with him, and I took her out of his arms.

I walked outside to go back to the warehouse, and I heard Kaely and Harper. They were like best friends. They never fought, and Kaely is always helping Harper with either gymnastics or dance.

When I got into the warehouse, Adelaide whined, wanting left go. I put her down, and she waddled around. I was glad there were mats all over the floor. I walked towards Kaely, wanting to ask her when she wanted to leave for youth group.

"We can leave in an hour and a half, yeah? I that'll be enough time to get there, and that'll give me enough time to finish helping Harper with her round-off back handspring back tuck before I get ready. I remember learning it when I was around her age, and she's getting really good at it. Want to see?"

"Of course," I nodded. Harper walked to the end of the mat and put her hands up. She ran a little before doing a round-off, then into a back handspring and next a back tuck. I clapped for her once she had finished and placed her arms back in the air.

"Good job, Harp!" I exclaimed.

"Thanks mummy," she smiled, starting to do one again after advice from Kaely. I looked at Kaely once more for confirmation, "an hour and a half, right?"

"Yes, mum," she nodded.

"And that will give you enough time to finish in here then get a shower and changed out of your leotard?"

"It will, don't worry. I've been on tighter schedules before."

"Okay. But I expect to leave in an hour and a half, no later," I told her, "you don't want to be late on your first night to the group."

"We won't be, I promise. We'll be in within thirty minutes."

"Okay," I nodded, then looked around for Adelaide. I had no idea where she had gotten to, "Adelaide!" I exclaimed.

"Mumum," she stumbled towards me. I picked her up and took her out of the warehouse and back into the house.

Ashton walked up to me and asked me about what I had talked to Kaely about just then in the warehouse.

"Kaely is going to a youth group tonight. It might be our old one, but I don't know yet.." I smiled.

"Do you think she'd recognize Jean or Patrick?" He asked, and he seemed excited that she was going to a youth group.

I shrugged, "she was only four the last time she had been there. She might not remember them, but if it is that youth group, they'd definitely recognize her. If not by the face, they'd recognize her by the name. They would know her just by Kaely, but the name Irwin would give it away, definitely."

"I really hope it is that youth group. If it is, I want to go with you to pick her up. I want to see Jean and Patrick again. I miss them. They were like second parents to me."

"At first, they were like my parents. Since I had been living with Mrs. Smith and not with my parents, it was like I didn't had parents, but Jean and Patrick pretty much filled that spot."

"If theirs isn't the youth group Kaely is going to tonight, we have to go visit them sometime."

"Yes we do. I really want to see them again," I smiled, walking up to the nursery with a tired Adelaide.

------

That night, Kaely and I had gotten into the car, leaving Ashton at home with Bronx, Harper, and Adelaide. He'd done it many times before, so this shouldn't be a problem. We left and Kaely gave me directions to the group.

It turns out, it was Jean and Patrick's group. I wasn't going to take her in this time. I wanted them to figure out who she was.

"Bye mum," Kaely kissed me quickly on the cheek before getting out of the car. I waved to her as she walked into the still-familiar house.