Chapter 28 - Drawer

On Wednesday of that week, March 27, I had gotten out of the shower, wrapped a towel around myself, and walked back into Ashton's and my bedroom to see Kaely going through one of my drawers.

"Kaely, what are you-" I walked quickly over to her to see what she was doing, but she cut me off and held two things up. They were the pregnancy tests.

"Why are you going through my drawers!?" I exclaimed, grabbing the tests from her and throwing them into the corner.

"I need a sports bra for gym. Mine are either in the wash or in my bag for gymnastics and dance which I'll need tonight. I can't take those to school and leave them in my gym locker," she explained, "so I thought I'd get one of yours. You were in the shower, so I couldn't ask you. I knew you'd be fine with it, so I went and looked for one myself, but I ended up finding those," she pointed to the pregnancy tests in the corner.

"Kaely, here's one," I handed her a sports bra and ushered her out of the room.

"No, mum, what were those tests about?" She asked me, walking back into the room. I sighed, not wanting to tell anyone just quite yet. She snuck past me quickly and grabbed the tests out of the corner.

"Th-they're positive!" She looked at them closer, "you're-" I put my hand over her mouth before she could say anything. I didn't want anyone to hear. I whispered to her to tell her to be quieter.

"You're pregnant?" She whispered.

"Yes, I am. Don't tell your dad, okay?" I asked her. She nodded, promising. I smiled as she walked out of the room. Before she could, however, she smiled back at me and told me, "I'm excited."

"But you can't tell any of your friends at school yet. I'll tell them, when it's time," I told her.

"I won't. But they'll be sad because they won't want you out on maternity leave," she pouted.

"I won't be gone for long. I'll be due around the beginning of December, and school ends before then. I won't be out at all, I don't think."

"That's great!" Kaely smiled and left my room.

I got dressed quickly and walked downstairs. I sat next to Ashton on the couch. I smiled at him. I had to tell him now. I needed to.

"Ashton.." I paused. He looked at me, pausing the tv. His full attention was on me when he asked, "what is it, babe? Are you okay?"

"Yeah. Well.. You know how we were talking about another baby not too long ago?" I questioned him. I knew he wasn't being serious when we were talking about having another baby. We had four kids now, three of them under seven.

"You're not.." He paused, "pregnant?"

I nodded, smiling. His mouth fell open before he began to smile. He placed his hand on my stomach and whispered, "five kids. Five. Wow."

"Yeah. Four will be under eight," I groaned.

"How will we handle it?" He asked, half-joking.

"I have no idea," I shrugged, "but we'll be fine."

"I know we will be."

"Are you excited?" I asked him. He just looked at me for a minute before a smile crept up on his face, "I am. What place should we use this time?" I laughed.

Later that morning, Kaely, Bronx, and Harper were all ready and dressed, some helped by Ashton or me. I gave Ashton a kiss goodbye and got Bronx and Harper into the car after grabbing my bag and their book bags.

"Bye daddy," both Bronx and Harper gave Ashton a kiss and a hug before I got them in the car. I got into the driver's seat and I saw Kaely giving Ashton a hug and kiss. Then she gave Adelaide, who was in Ashton's arms, a kiss too.

She sat in the passenger's seat of the car with her book bag, saxophone, and lunch bag on her lap.

We drove off towards the school. In the car, I had told both Harper and Bronx that I was pregnant. They were getting a new sibling soon. They both seemed pretty happy. I was glad.

I dropped the two younger ones off at the elementary and kissed them both goodbye before watching them run into the school.

Kaely and I then drove towards the high school. I let her go into the school after I gave her a hug. She grabbed her bags and walked into school.

I parked the car, grabbed my bag, and walked into one of the side doors that was closest to my classroom.

After getting into my classroom, I sat at my desk and got out all of the supplies that my first period class would need. I also got ready the supplies for my second and third period classes and sat them aside.

I sat back down at my desk, going over the notes that my fourth period class would need to take. They were going through art history at that point, and they were taking lots of notes every day and watching educational videos about many artists. That usually gave me time to think or draw.

I heard the homeroom warning bell ring a few minutes later. I could hear lots of commotion going on outside of my room. Soon the homeroom bell rang, and minutes later, the first period bell rang. Students piled into my room seconds later.

------

My eighth period class, the class Kaely was in, was the seventh class that I told about being pregnant. I had my lunch during sixth period, so I didn't have a class then.

Everyone seemed excited for me, but I could tell they were upset by the fact that I could possibly be out for a little bit at the end of the year. I loved my students so much, and I loved the fact that in most of my classes, except for when I have eighth graders or freshmen, they chose to be in my class, so they wanted to be here. Most of the students loved me as a teacher, though. If they didn't, it was because they didn't like art.

I was excited that I had gotten the reaction from the students that I did. That night, Ashton and I were going to try to explain to Adelaide that she was going to be getting a baby sibling. She'd be two by the time the baby was born, and she would understand better once the baby is here, but she probably wouldn't understand very well now.