Chapter 3

The three girls hung around in the basement, playing games, reading and just getting to know each other for a good two hours before the upstairs door slammed shut. "Peridot!" A yell came from upstairs
The glasses-wearing teen jumped slightly "shit, what'd I do now?" She mumbled and paused the game. She stood and stretched before heading upstairs.
Amethyst looked to Lapis hoping the bookworm would understand the situation. Lapis noticed Amethysts stare and opened her mouth to speak, she was cut off by yelling from upstairs
"What's this?!" Said the angered voice from earlier
"That would be the letter C followed by a plus sign." Came Peridot's sarcastic response
"Don't take that tone with me!" There was a pause "I'm very disappointed in you Peridot."
"Why? It's a decent mark, besides you know I struggle with physical activity!" Peridot sounded more serious now "and it's not like I need an A in PE to get into what I want to do anyway!"
There was silence, Lapis took this opportunity to explain to Amethyst what was going on. In a hushed voice she began. "Peridot's mother is home, she's really hard on Peridot about pretty much everything, especially good grades. She expects straight A's in every class." She sighed
The snow haired teen looked to Lapis in disbelief "But that would mean Peridot would have to be like, the perfect kid. Nobody's able to be perfect."
Lapis nodded "I know-" she was cut off by yelling again
"The fact that you don't necessarily need it doesn't mean it isn't important Peridot! I expect you to do your absolute best in any class no matter how stupid you think it is! And if you're really having trouble in Gym hire a trainer. I will not allow you to get a mark so low!"
"Fine, whatever you say, mother." Peridot's growling voice said, followed by the sound of footsteps "I currently have company, so I would like to be getting back to them." She provided an explanation.
"Who's here?" Peridot's mother inquired
Peridot was on her way down the stairs but stopped upon hearing the question "Lapis and Amethyst. Can I go now?!"
"Who's Amethyst?"
"A friend I've made recently. Come meet her if you'd like to, I don't care." She was put into a sour mood after all her mother's yelling.
"I think I will" the mother replied
Soon peridot and her mother appeared at the bottom of the stairs. When she spotted Amethyst on the couch she was a bit taken aback. Amethyst was sprawled out on the couch with one leg over the top of it. She held her phone above her head and had snorted out a small laugh at something funny she'd seen. Nevertheless the woman walked over and introduced herself "Hello my name is Yelona, Yelona Diamond. I'm Peridot's mother." She held out her hand to shake.
Amethyst high-fived her instead "Hey Yelo, congrats on having the weirdest name I've ever heard." She gave a goofy smile before looking to Peridot "Yo Peri! You gotta read this post, it's friggan hilarious." She handed her phone off to Lapis who then gave it to Peridot.
Peridot started to read it "This is just a bunch of lame cat puns..."
"Read the last one though! It's great."
Peridot read the last one out loud "y'all have some serious purrblems. Maybe you should go to the meowntelist fur a CAT-scan." Peridot facepalmed "oh my god. I think I just lost a few IQ points there. That was the dumbest thing I've ever read."
Amethyst snorted out a laugh against. "Dumb thing are the most funny though!"
"If you say so" Peridot handed the phone back to Amethyst
Yelona looked to Peridot and motioned for her to come upstairs to talk again. Peridot sighed but went upstairs as asked. Amethyst was curious, she had a feeling that it was something about her. She decided to follow and hide at the top of the stairs and eavesdrop.
"What is it now?" Peridot questioned her mom.
"I don't like her." Was all Yelona said
"What?! Why not?!" Peridot asked afraid she wouldn't be aloud to hang out with Amethyst anymore.
"She's loud, disrespectful, and I can tell she's not even close to your IQ level."
"Why does that matter, she's still a good person. I like having her around, she's comedic." The green-eyed teen fought
"She's probably not as good as you think she is. Look at the way she's dressed today. A tank-top? Short-shorts over ripped leggings. She looks like a school slut. I bet she's slept with a number of young men already. I don't like her at all." Yelana said, determined to change her daughters mind.
Suddenly a different voice entered the hushed argument. "Whoa lady. Judgemental much." It was Amethyst "Now here let me point out a few things. 1) I'm a virgin 2) I'm a lesbian. A.k.a I have zero interest in 'young men' and 3) If you have a problem with me, say it to my fucking face!" Amethyst was obviously upset "Peridot should be able to chill with whoever she wants without needing your approval. Now that I've had my word put into this conversation, I'm leaving. Jasper wants me home now." She lied. Jasper didn't want her home. The snow-haired girl walked out, needing to let off some steam.
"A-Amethyst wait!" Peridot called after her, but she was met with a door being slammed in her face. She turned to her mother. "Look what you've done!" She yelled before letting out a frustrated growl and went to run after Amethyst.
---------------------------
Amethyst was found a block away in a nearby park under a large oak tree. Peridot walked over and sat next to her. "Hey, are you okay?" She questioned
"Go away." Was the response
Peridot sighed "I'm sorry my mother is such a, What's the word? Bitch."
Amethyst looked to the small blonde "She's not the first to make those assumptions. Nobody likes me. Not anymore."
"What do you mean?"
"Garnet and Pearl have been practically avoiding me. I swear they use their relationship as an excuse not to hang out with me. And when we do end up together, all we do is argue. They're my only friends too... Everyone hates me. Even I hate me..."
Peridot awkwardly placed a hand on Amethysts shoulder, not knowing exactly what to do. She waited a moment before speaking. "I don't hate you. I actually think you're really great. You're funny, you're averagely intelligent, You know how to relax and have fun, you're pretty, you're brave too. I mean you stood up against my mom, I'm incapable of doing that, she scares the living hell out of me. Yet you were able to give her your opinion without worrying of any consequences. It was really cool." Amethyst said nothing in return so the blonde continued "You shouldn't hate yourself because nobody else understands you. You should be proud of yourself for being a real person, a real, good person. Don't listen to what others say, just concentrate on you and the people who take the time to know you. Okay?"
Amethyst nodded. Peridot's speech had made her feel a little better. There was a long moment of silence "Hey Peridot?" She caught the others attention. "Thanks." Peridot smiled softly. "I needed that." Amethyst continued. "Now let's go back to your Nerd-cave! I'm pretty sure we left Lapis down there."
Peridot nodded and stood, once again holding out a hand for Amethyst to take and helped her up. The started walking back to her house. After another moment of quietness, peridot decided to asked something that's been burning in her mind for a few minutes now. " So, are you really a lesbian?" Amethyst simply nodded in response "Nice."