Chapter 37

Amethyst paced around the waiting room, feeling eyes burning into her as she did so. Yelona had stormed out of Peridots room recently, after some yelling was heard, and since then she's been sitting in the corner of the waiting room glaring Amethyst down.
Rose had also left Peridots room, however she'd gotten a text from Pearl saying her and Garnet were stuck in the rain, and therefore she'd went out to go pick them up to drive them back the the hospital. So for now it was just Amethyst and Yelona in the waiting room, in dead tension filled silence.
"Why don't you sit down. You're pacing is annoying me." Yelona mumbled
"Why don't you go home? Your presence is annoying everyone." Amethyst replied "I don't even get why your still here. Peridot cussed you out and told you to leave. You're basically dead to her. Just go home already lady."
Yelona rolled her eyes "Peridots 16. She still very much needs me."
Amethyst crossed her arms "I haven't needed my mother since I was 13. The second Jasper was old enough to leave that place, she took me with her and we were just fine. I actually met Pearl and Rose during that time. During our second week on the streets, I just so happened to be around Pearls middle school- because like I hadn't gone to my school since we left... I was looking for dropped change or food or something when Pearl skipped out in her school uniform, she went to the preppy school that could afford uniforms unlike me and Garnet-" Amethyst started blabbering on " well she saw me going through the trash and I guess she felt bad. She ended up dragging me to her parents place, her mom was a pretty nice lady she gave me food. And she called her family friend, aka Rose. Rose ended up finding Jasper out of pure coincidence and yeah, Rose got us our apartment and housed us until it was ready for us and until Jasper and I got jobs to pay rent with... Rose is so nice...."
"I didn't want to hear your back story. But whatever." Yelona sighed " Theres probably a difference between you and Peridot. You provide came from some kind of crackhouse or something. So your parents were probably corrupt and probably on too many drugs to even notice you. I'm drug-free, make a good salary, spoil her, and in general actually take care of her. Her reason for leaving is she and I disagree over the topic of homosexuality."
"Actually my parents were a lot like you really. In the beginning anyway. Strict, wanted us to fit their ideal moulds, etc, when I came out as gay, shit hit the fan! My dad became an abusive alcoholic and they blamed Jasper for my Lesbianism because of how masculine she acted." Amethyst shrugged "Yeah, it was stupid you seeing how stupid it is now? I never understood why I was so 'wrong'. What's wrong with being a little gay? I mean look at me now I'm hella gay And I'm doing just fine!" When the adult tried to speak amethyst cut her off and continued "Nevermind... I'm not the best example.... uh... look at Pea- wait no she convinced me to basically cheat on Peridot ... uhhh look at Gar- shit no she kissed Peri in front of you... how about Lapi- fuck the drug thing... Jasper? No she sorta introduced Lapis to the drug thing accidentally.... Rose! Look at Ro- she 'abducted' your kid.... Fuck..." she thought for a second "Anyways... yeah what's wrong with Peridot being a lesbian? She's smarter than most of us... she won't get into too much trouble."
"Lesbianism always leads to heartbreak and just terrible luck in general. You wouldn't believe how often I've seen it happen. I want Peridot to grow up and be successful with a loving family and such."
Amethyst rose a brow "She can still get a good successful job if she's gay... it's the 21st century...... And She could have a loving family that won't end in heartbreak too... I mean look at Ellen Degeneres! She's one of the most successful reality TV women alive and she and her wife are absolutely in ever-lasting love! And they have a dog.... named Kid!"
"Ellen only made her way to fame because one guy decided her voice suited a ditzy cartoon fish."
Amethyst shrugged and finally took a seat. "She still got there in the end didn't she? We all do. Isn't that what's important? I'm sure you had some of your own struggles. I'm sure there was something that made you different and unlikable, but you're doing good now too right? Who's to say Peri won't?"
Yelona glared at the teen. "What makes you think you know so much about me?"
"Well.... I don't.... but I know everyone has something 'wrong' with them. Everyone struggles, but they always get somewhere in the end. Like me, I'm scrappy, I'm not the best when it comes to relationships, I'm a pretty bad influence to others, I'm really, really, not straight. I get myself into all kinds of shit every day, but I know that one day I'll be somewhere, doing something that helps and gives to the community, whether it be filling potholes, or producing A-class quality cartoons, or even just funding the denture dam company by being a lesbian hooker, I'll get somewhere eventually."
Peridots mother just stared at her in absolute silence for what seemed like hours, eyes cutting deep into her flesh. "If was supposed to alter my opinion and get me re-thinking everything..." she said at last. "... it didn't work. Next time you're trying to convince someone, don't say becoming a whore is 'getting somewhere'."
The teen let out a sigh of defeat. "Fine, I give up. You can't be convinced. I'm not sure if it's just 'cause you got a strong mindset or a thick skull but it doesn't really matter."
"Thank you. Maybe now I can hear myself think." The adult rolled her eyes.
"Pfft" Amethyst scoffed "what've you got to think about? The next homophobic thing you can say to your kid and her friends?"
"No, that's childish. I'm thinking about adult things. Taxes, work, laundry."
"Oh yes, because bringing taxes up in an argument isn't something a 12 year old would do."
"You're like 12 yourself, shush child." Yelona waved her off
"Me and Peri are the same age."
"Yes and Peridot is a child as well."
"She's one hella mature kid I'll tell you that. In multiple ways."
The woman stood "Would you shut your mouth, please!"
A new voice entered the conversation "Hey, hey, c'mon now. This is a waiting room."
Both heads snapped in confusion to lock their eyes on Lapis.
"Lazuli?" Yelona questioned. "Are you here for Peridot?"
The was a long silence before "no.... what's wrong with Peridot?"
"Slight head injury..." Amethyst hummed avoiding eye contact "so why are you here then?"
Lapis gazed to the floor "My father.... he got in a bad crash."
"Oh my!" The adult in the room exclaimed "Is he alright?"
The bluenette hesitantly shook he head "They don't think he'll make it."
"How's your mother?" Yelona asked with sincere concern.
"a mess..." Lapis couldn't think of a better way to put it. "She decided to wait by his side. She seems so broken... she won't stop crying."
Amethyst asked out a shaky "and you?"
Lapis bit her lip "I-I just don't know right now! Okay?! I don't want to think about it! Let's talk about something else....please."
The snow-haired teen nodded and patted the seat next to her "yeah... how's things with you and Jasper going?"
The other girl sat down "Good." Was all she said.
"No problems lately?" She questioned further
"Not since she sold you and Pearl out, no." Was the quiet answer.
"Where's she at right now." Amethyst asked and Lapis only shrugged.
After a prolonged silence she said "after our date she dropped me off at home and we haven't spoken since."
The tan teenager sighed, blowing a tuff of hair out of face "Uhh.... you want me to call her? I could ask her to come here for you...."
"That would be nice..."

Jasper was there no more than 10 minutes later, actually arriving at the same time as Rose, Pearl, And Garnet. She seated next to lapis and pulled her into a hug. After a moment she scanned the room and a question formed "Why's everyone else here... and.... her" she pointed towards Yelona. "Wait.... where's Peridot?! Amethyst what'd you do?!"
"How do you know it was my fault!?" The younger asked defensively.
"Because everyone else being here is obvious except you. Peridot stayed with Garnet last night, was moving in with Rose and Pearl today, and that's her mom, but you? You two recently cut ties, and I doubt you're here for Lapis's dad. "
Amethyst rolled her eyes "Ugh! Fine it's a weird story. I went over to play video games after she was settled in, and somehow that lead to making out, and she hit her head a couple times on things, and now she's got a minor head injury and a concussion."
Everyone in the room rolled their eyes.
Lapis let out a half laugh "you'd think by now you'd realize kissing only every gets you in trouble. Vidalia, that recent string with Pearl, and now this?"
"Maybe we should stitch her lips together." Garnet added
Pearl smiled "Yeah! That'd quite her down quite a bit too!"
Jasper let out a chuckle "Maybe then she'd also not eat all my food."
"Aw c'mon guys! Shut up! My mouth ain't all bad!"
"I'm not sure. It's kind of big, got a mind of its own." The eldest adult in the room said with a sneer.
"Just leave Yelona! No one likes you!" Amethyst spat back.
Rose raised her hands and silenced everyone... except a certain miss Diamond who was muttering to herself. Rose spoke "Alright everyone, I think that's enough bashing Amethyst for now. Although yes it is true she's gotten herself into quite a bit of trouble lately, I believe it's safe to say out that we all have, so let's not point fingers now."

An: holy fuuuuck guys I am so sorry for making you wait so long! I know this barely makes up for it, but I hope you all forgive me!
~Trash