Chapter 33

"What?!" Peridot exclamed "why is she home?! Why isn't she at work?!" Peridot asked no one in particular.
"Maybe she just didn't take her car today?" Greg suggested "Sometimes I leave the van at home during the day"
Peridot shook her head "No, she always drives to work. The office is too far to walk to, and she hates public transportation..."
"Perhaps she has the day off? Or maybe she's just running late?" Pearl added to the conversation. "Anyway, you still need to collect your things... are you going in? We could go with you... right Garnet?"
Garnet nodded "Yeah, that was the plan anyway wasn't it?"
Peridot bit her lip "she'd recognize you. The one that kissed my girlfriend and the one that kissed me..."
Garnet nodded once more "that's true... but you'll have us for backup if things get rough."
Peridot smiled softly "alright... thanks guys... lets go then."
She, Garnet, and Pearl stepped out of the van and made their way up the driveway to the door. It was locked, so Peridot used her key to let her and her friends in. She looked towards the kitchen, through its entrance way from the hall. Yelona was there, head hung in her hands and an open beer to her left. Was she drunk? No... that's impossible. Peridots mother was more responsible than that... she wouldn't let herself get even slightly tipsy throughout the weekdays, hell she hardly ever drank on the weekends either.
She must've simply been very deep in thought, for she didn't hear the door open. Peridot shut it tightly, that sound caught the adults attention. Her head turned in their direction, she looked awful. Dark circles under her eyes, eye-makeup from the day before, smudged and running, her hair looked wild and unbrushed. Her eyes locked on her daughter and widened in disbelief.
"Peridot?!" She exclaimed "You're home..." a smile began to form.
Peridot held up a hand to halt her "I came for my belongings. I've found suitable arrangements for myself elsewhere. Pearls family has been very kind as to provide me with a room beginning today. Where's my suitcase? Do you have any boxes laying around?"
The woman frowned again. With a sigh she answered both questions "Suitcase is in the storage closet in the basement, boxes are in the hall closet." She gripped her drink and took a small sip.
"Thank you." Peridot replied. "Why aren't you at work?"
Yelona stared at the alcoholic beverage in her hand "I called in ill..." she sipped it again "what are you doing out of School?"
"Main floor flooded in the rain." Peridot responded simply as she opened the hall closet and started handing boxes to Pearl and Garnet. "You're drinking?" She asked casually and as if it didn't really matter to her.
"I am, I apologize. I wasn't expecting company." The adult answer glumly.
"Don't overdo it." Peridot warned "I despise you about 30 times more than usual when you're drunk."
"Despise?" The womanly voice questioned "Am I really so bad?"
Peridot simply nodded "considering you're unaccepting of who I am as a person, and of who I choose to spend my days around, yes, yes you are. Now, please, just leave me to pack up in silence. I'm unprepared and not in the wanting to continue a conversation with the likes of you at this moment." She grabbed a couple boxes for herself and lead her two friends down into the basement.
"As you wish..." Yelona said with a sigh before taking another swig of her beer.

Peridot packed her PS4, and Wii-U into the same large box, deciding to keep the X-box there. There wouldn't be enough room for it and all it's games at Pearls's. A lot of its games were also on the PS4, and besides, the play station was newer. She packed the controllers with the consoles. Then she packed only her favourite games for each system into a separate box. She glanced at her Box TV and all her old-school consoles and frowned. They'd probably have to stay here too. She'd miss them.
She looked over to where Pearl and Garnet sat, packing her books into 2 medium sized boxes. At least she'd have reading materials. She then eyed her desktop computer on the opposite side of the room. She should have room for that. It was relatively small, and so was its desk. And the desk was the same colour as the bean bag chairs; deep green. It'd match for the most part. She started unplugging things and putting them into another large box.
When that was done Pearl had already begun folding Peridots comforter from her bed. It and the pillows went into a bag, they were light, so they wouldn't rip the bag. Garnet on the other hand was taking down and rolling posters.
Peridot decided to start packing her clothes. She grabbed her large green suitcase from its place in the storage closet, and began transporting clothes from her dresser into the suitcase.
After that they packed up what're little knick-knacks or figurines peridot had laying around and started hauling the stuff upstairs.
Surprisingly when they got upstairs Greg was inside, chatting with Peridots mother about something. Curious, the teens stopped to listen
"You know... Peridot's not that bad of kid. She's respectful, responsible, polite, kind-hearted, and so much more, and I'm sure you're the only one she can thank for that. I'm sure she still appreciates and cares for you, she's your daughter after all. She's just a tad upset you won't accept her. Kids are like that. All they want to be is accepted, if they don't get that then they feel unsafe so they try and avoid the problem until it is fully resolved. Heck my son, Steven, he's only in Elementary school and he's already getting to be that way." Greg's voice was saying.
There was a womanly sigh "I'm not so sure. Peridot is capable of holding a grudge for years at a time. I'm worried I've messed everything up with her. She despises me, she's said so herself... I must truly be a terrible parent..."
"Hey, dont put yourself so down. She's a teenager, don't they all 'hate' their parents? Look the way I see it is, you must've done something right for her to have grown into someone so strong, independent, and who is capable of feeling so strongly towards herself and her beliefs. And despite whatever happened here I'm sure she'll forgive you, eventually."
Peridot peeked around the corner to see her mother attempt a smile but have it return to a frown. She drank from her bottle once again. "I don't know about that last part. She's stubborn, refuses to see things any other way than her own. Her liking her girl friends is simply a phase, but her thick teenage skull refuses to grasp that."
"A phase?" Greg's voice questioned "Don't mind my asking... but how do you know whether her behaviour is a phase or not? You can't exactly say that if you're not her... maybe it's not. In fact, my wife, she's bisexual, has been since middle school! Before I came along and stole her heart she was with a very.... er... nice woman that goes by the name 'Bismuth' and they'd originally started dating in 10th grade and then there's Garnet's Mothers, Ruby and Sapphire, they've been together since their senior year of high school, so yeah neither of them were going through a phase of any kind. Pearl's never shown any interest in boys as long as I've known her, and I originally met her when she was like 5 and since she's moved in with us a few years back, she's only ever been with Amethyst and Garnet, who are both really nice girls. Some people are just born attracted to people of their same sex... maybe your daughters one of them?"
Yelona was quiet for a long moment "She's never mentioned it to me before. I didn't find out until that time I walked in on her and Amethyst... I tolerated that... I figured it wasn't something to get worried about, because.... I'm not going to lie... When I was young I experimented with a young woman my age as well... but I grew out of it and eventually met Peridot's father. But when she also kissed Garnet... It triggered something within me... I just want the best for her. I want her to grow up and find a nice man and to have the proper family I failed to have before her father passed... do you have any idea what that's like?"
Greg's voice wavered "of course I do! I want my son to grow up and have a family too, but if it's another man he ends up with, I won't love him any less! I'll support Steven, and if he does end up gay, and married to a man, they could always adopt children into their family. I'll be happy and accepting of him either way... Rose too."
Peridot saw her mother's eyes widened "R-rose?!" She recognized that name.
Greg nodded "er... yes, my wife, her name is Rose"
"She isn't by any chance fairly tall and... larger.... with curly pink hair is she?"
"That's actually a pretty good description of her..." Greg said, brow raised "Do you know her?"
"She told me she didn't know where Peridot was! She said she'd call if she sees her! Now Peridot's moving into her household? That bitch! She stole my child!" Yelona stood angrily... pissed actually.
"Wh-whoa now... Rose wouldn't kidnap anyone... she's very kind hearted and has a soft-spot for people in need. I'm sure she was going to call once Peridot was comfortable and explain the situation..." Greg also stood, but he raised much more slowly and with caution.
"But Peridot isn't in need! She has a home! Here, with me, her mother!" Yelona spat.
Greg raised his hands in defence "Look I don't know much about the situation, so please don't freak out on me, okay? I'll have Rose call you when I get home, you two can sort it out over the phone."
Peridot stepped into the kitchen, thinking it was best to, pretending not to have heard anything "Oh, Mr.Greg... there you are. We're ready to start loading the van now."
Greg looked relieved and stepped out of the kitchen, past peridot, and towards the door.
"She better call me." Yelona hissed after him.
"She will!" Greg walked out and unlocked the van.

They loaded in the boxes, suitcase, the computer desk, a deep green lamp peridot had decided would look great in her new room, and the bag containing her bedding, within 15 minutes. It appeared they'd only need to do one trip. Great! They wouldn't have to face a Yelona again for a while! They unloaded the van once they arrived at the house, and it took a bit longer that loading it did, but not much longer.
Greg did tell Rose to call Peridot's Mother, which she agreed to do, later that day. Peridot, Pearl and Garnet unpacked the boxes and began to set everything up. Clothes were folded and placed in the dresser drawers, PS4 and Wii-U were hooked up to the TV, games were put away in the two window-drawers closest to the TV, books were placed in the other window drawers. Peridots bed was made, her lamp was set on her nightstand and plugged in, her nicknacks, figurines and such were placed on the window-sills, her posters were hung, and lastly her computer was set up in the corner of the room. Peridot was beginning to feel more at home in her new room.