Chapter 36

'What's that light?" Peridot thought to herself as she cracked open an eye and felt it sting from the brightness of the blinding hospital light located above her head. 'Where am I?' She closed her eyes again
"How much longer do you think she'll be out doc?" She heard a familiar raspy voice ask.
"I can't say, could be another hour, or perhaps even a few days. But you said it was only 2 little bumps that caused it?"? A new voice replied. There was a brief pause before the intellectual female voice continued "Then it shouldn't be too long. Don't worry I'm sure she's alright."
"But what about her forgetting what'd just happened?" The raspy voice questioned. "Could she have Amnesia when she gets up? Will she remember me? I'm so... scared."
"Hmm..." the Doctor thought " I don't think it's anything that serious. She may have gotten a case short-term memory loss, but that's not much. In cases like these the problem only lasts a few days tops, and then they'll be remembering recent things left and right. You don't have to worry about her. She'll be alright, I promise."
The sounds of a door opening and closing could be heard as did a new voice. "I've contacted her mother..." the voice was familiar and motherly. It sighed "She's on her way..."
"Ugh, Rose, why'd you gotta do that? Now Ole Yellers gonna be here and pissing all over us about 'kidnapping and injuring her baby' or some shit. I don't wanna a deal with that." The raspy one complained
The unfamiliar voice sounded again "Its mandatory her direct family is here. They have a right to know what happened, even if they're currently not in the greatest of terms with the patient."
"Yes, thank you Doctor Maheshwaren for explaining it to her." The motherly voice, now known to be Rose added.
"Ugh but that's so lame! Look, what happens when Peri wakes up and sees her mom here? She'll lose her shit." The raspy voice continued to complain.
"Amethyst, you're not understanding." Rose replied once again "Imagine this from Yelona's point of view. You're daughter just ran away, was taken in by one of her friends guardians, and now your child is hurt in the hospital. Would you not want to know she's injured, and would you not want to hurry over to see her condition? If Steven, or even Pearl were in Peridots place, I'd be worried sick!"
"Whatever... I just don't see why she's suddenly worried about P-dot now. She didn't Fucking care much about her when she was trash-talking her friends, telling her her thoughts were wrong, and that her sexuality is a phase. She didn't seem to give 2 fucks when she practically told Peridot she didn't want her because she's gay and then let her leave the house without even trying to stop her or apologize. So why the fuck is she so worried now?" The raspy voice, now revealed to be Amethyst said, sounding extremely ticked off.
"Because her only child was just hauled to the emergency room with a concussion after she ran away to join the gays..." Rose's voice deadpanned.
Amethysts voice snorted out a small laugh "Way to make us seem like the bad guys."
"Well we can't always be seen as good, Amethyst." Rose's voice giggled. There was a silence "I wonder what she's thinking about right now..."
"Who?" Amethyst questioned. "Peri?" More silence "Probably nothing much really..."
The doctor butt in, her voice being much closer now, she was probably changing Peridots vitals or something "In all honesty, she's probably just listening to the two of you and what your saying. Her eyes are closed, but her breathing pattern shows she's awake."
"What?" Amethysts raspy voice sounded "Really? Hey Per... you really up?"
Peridots facial features changed from relaxed to confused
"Peridot?" Rose's soft motherly voice questioned. Peridot furrowed her brows and cracked open one eye with a groan. She saw the silhouette of the familiar pink-haired woman above her. "Ah, so you are awake?" She giggled. "Are you feeling alright?" Peridot attempted a nod, but doing so made her head spin. She let out a whimper. Rose frowned "Aw, poor girl. How about you get some more rest while we wait for your mother to arrive?" She suggested. Peridot let out another grunt and closed her eye again. The last things she heard was a brief conversation between Amethyst and the doctor.
"She only communicated through noises... i-is that bad?" Amethyst had asked.
"No, not at all. It's perfectly normal for someone who'd just woken up with a minor head injury to not feel up to speaking."
After that Peridot drifted off again.