Chapter 47

"Jenny! Give Kiki her tablet back!" Pearl pinched the bridge of her nose to refrain herself from lashing out at the legitimate child.
"No! I wanna play Plants Vs Zombies!" The ten year old yelled back as she continued to refuse to hand the electronic over to her sobbing twin sister.
Pearl sighed annoyed. "You have your own tablet. What did you do with it?"
The seven year old shrugged "It died so I gave it to Ronaldo to charge."
Pearl looked around for the 12 year old boy who apparently had Jenny's electronic device. Times were so much simpler when Pearl was a kid, she decided. No iPads or electronic devices were around for children to access, the worse she had had to deal with was loosing a doll or if the batteries in her keyboard ran out. Kids nowadays were so involved with app games. It was insane.
She spotted Ronaldo sitting on the love seat at the far end of the living room, tablet charged and in hand, Steven curled up next to him with a smile and- was that the naruto theme blasting obnoxiously loud from it? She sighed knowing the older kid would put up one hell of a battle when she tried to take away his 'anime' and that would trigger Steven to complain as well. Suddenly 11 year old Lars charged full speed in from outside, 10 year old Sadie chasing after him begging him to please give her her donut holes back- odd, Pearl didn't see any donut holes on him- oh wait... there they were in the Big Donut bag, that was stuffed in the front of his pants. Pearl groaned, this was a fucking mess. Where the fuck did Rose go? This was her damn daycare. She better a raise in allowance this week for this.
Peridot walked into the house with Garnet, complaining to her about how pathetic her mother had been over her birthday lunch, practically begging her to come home because it was so empty or something however the two teens stopped abruptly in the living rooms entrance and observed the scene. Peridot looked to Pearl "Uh... Pearl? What's going on here?"
"Where's Rose?" Garnet added after.
"I don't know!" the ginger teen nearly cried out. "She was here one moment and all was fine and calm, I go into the kitchen for ten minutes to make myself a snack," she pointed to a discarded fruit salad on a table that Buck and Sour Cream (who the fuck named their kid that?!) were currently picking at and claiming their own. "And when I walked back in to head upstairs she's up and disappeared and everything's a disaster! Ronaldo and Steven are watching Natuto on Jenny's tablet, Jenny's stolen her sister's tablet, Lars has donuts in his pants!"
"Oh..." Peridot said. She looked around the room again then glanced to Garnet and Pearl. "Garnet, take care of of the donut kid, Pearl calm the twins. I've got the weebs." She instructed suddenly before heading towards where Ronaldo and Steven sat. She picked up the Smart TV remote and plopped down next to them. She opens up Crunchyroll and started scrolling through the anime options. "Wow look, it's that Koala Princess anime thats popular and all the middle school kids think is the coolest shit." She said in a deadpanned voice.
It caught Ronaldo's attention. "What?! The middle school kids like Koala Princess?! That means it's super cool! I need to watch it!" He discarded the tablet and lunges for the remote Peridot held. Peridot rolled her eyes and took the tablet. Kids were so easy. All you had to do was tell them something was or wasn't cool to slightly older kids and they would listen to you. She walked over to where Pearl was bickering with Jenny and presented the tablet to the child. Jenny immediately smiled, handed her sister her device back and took her own.
Pearl turned to Peridot and thanked her before they were approached by Garnet who simply said "The boy still has pastries in his pants... except now they're smushed because Sadie learned where a boy's weak-spot is."
Pearl and Peridot both cringed a little. "Poor kid..." Pearl said. "Why are the donuts still in his pants?"
Garnet shrugged and looked over her shoulder. "Sadie!" She called. "Why didn't you take back the donuts?"
The 10 year old called back "They touched his willy! They might have cooties!"
Garnet turned back to her friends and said straight-faced "The bag touched his willy, and so they may have cooties."
Pearl and Peridot has to do their absolute best not to bust out with laughs upon hearing their friend deadpan say such a dumb sentence.
The three of them continued to watch the kids together for a few minutes until Rose reappeared from the back garden with a basket full of ripening vegetables, carrots, radishes, and cucumbers could be seen and she was whistling a tune. The teens turned to look at her and she stopped in her track, looked around at the children, to the vegetables, then to the teens. "Oh shoot... I must've gotten carried away... I went out to water the dahlias! I'm so sorry!" The woman apologized.
Pearl sighed "Its alright. There was only a few problems. Most of them were resolved."
Rose smiled shyly, still ashamed she'd basically completely forgotten about her household full of children in favour of harvesting vegetables. She glanced towards the clock and gasped. "Oh! Peridot, you work today don't you? You're going to be late!"
Peridot followed the woman's line of sight and groaned. "Shit..."
Rose set the basket of vegetables on a nearby table and shuffled through her sundresses pockets "Greg left the van today... you go get dressed and I'll drive you there... Pearl? Could you be a dear and-"
"Watch the kids again?" Pearl assumed. "Yeah, sure."
"I'll help." Garnet stated.
Rose smiled. "Thank you, girls! You're both gems! I'll pass you each some money for the trouble, I promise!"
Peridot, already half way up the stairs called out a "What about me?! I helped!"
Rose chuckled. "Is $10 enough?" She called back.
"Make it $20!" Peridot responded, voice muffled from being a floor above.
"Fifteen?!" Rose replied "a Dollar per minute I was away?"
"Deal!"
Rose giggled and looked to Garnet and Pearl. "Are you two fine with that as well or would you like more for the extra time?"
Garnet shook her head"You don't have to pay me."
Pearl shrugged "I'd be alright with just ten, honestly."
Rose rolled her eyes, delved back into her pocket and fished out her wallet. "Don't be ridiculous. Twenty each."

—————

Hours later Peridot returned home from her shift at Best Buy feeling drained. Honestly, why were so many parents snobbish assholes who didn't understand how pricing worked? A quality modern computer that best suited their child's WoW, Overwatch, and Steam Games addictions would most certainly not cost the same amount as their shitty Acer Notebooks from 2010. And yes, PS4 games really did have to cost that much. You're paying for an experience that took years of hard work and development, not just it's plastic casing. Idiots, all of them.
Peridot had gotten a text from Pearl earlier in the evening saying she'd be spending the night at Garnets, so if she needed anything to call or text her. The house was empty of children save for Steven, who was likely up in his room, and Peridot entered the living room to find Greg and Rose huddled over an iPad, speaking quietly. "Um, hi..." she greeted awkwardly.
The two adults jumped slightly and their eyes shot up to focus on the teen.
"Oh, Hey Peridot." Greg said with a friendly smile as usual. "What's up?"
Peridot shrugged. "Just got home from work. What're you doing."
Rose smiled. "Greg just bought the neighbouring land to his Carwash! He's going to expand it so he can add a gas station!"
"Oh, that's cool, I guess." Peridot shrugged.
"Yeah!" Greg agreed "And we're going to have a family and friends barbecue next week to Celebrate! I can finally show of my cool new grill!"
Peridot nodded "... Neato..." She was about to dismiss herself to head off to bed when Rose piped up again.
"We were wondering if you'd like to invite your mother?"
"What?" Peridot asked "Why?"
Rose shrugged. "Well I figured, we're all kind of on good terms now... so it'd only be nice to invite her."
"Yeah, and besides," Greg spoke "We'll need to know how much food to buy!" He hummed tapping at something on the tablet. "Do you think she'd bring Mrs.Lazuli with her?"
Rose shrugged "If she doesn't, I'm sure Lapis will invite her mother to join us."
"Right, right..." Greg nodded typing something in. He let out a low whistle. "Maybe we should go with the cheaper hot dogs..."
Rose shrugged. "Or maybe leave out the Porkchops? I think people would be okay with just Hotdogs and Burgers."
Greg whined "But Rose... Then I can't say 'If every porkchop were perfect we wouldn't have hotdogs' if I accidentally burn one..."
Rose kissed her husbands cheek. "As much as I love that saying, and pun-like jokes, I'm afraid we can't do that this time."
The man sighed, "Fine..." tapping the screen again before looking back towards Peridot. "So, do you think your mom will come?"
Peridot sighed "I'll ask her tomorrow. I'm heading off to sleep."
"Alright, goodnight kiddo." Greg said
"Yes, And sweet dreams!" Rose added
"Night." Peridot responded with a yawn as she headed upstairs for the night.