Chapter 23

Lapis yawned as she stretched her arms. Rolling to her left she slammed down the snooze button on her alarm clock. She was about to roll over and sleep another 10 minutes when her phone lit up and played her text-tone and caught her eye. She was tempted to ignore it, but her curiosity got the better of her and she snatched her phone away from where it had been charging. 3 new texts from Jasper. Hoo-boy. She entered her passcode and opened the messages app to reveal say texts.
«Mornin babe, d'ya miss me?» did the first one.
«Lemme guess... No? You were probs too busy with 'other things' huh?» the second read
«After school your mine. And I don't mean that in a cute flirty way either»
What was that? Did Jasper thing she was cheating or something? Lapis shrugged and replied with
« *you're. Aight, sounds cool to me....What's up?»
An almost instant reply « I think you know 'what's up' Lazuli»
Lapis cocked a brow in confusion. Jasper only ever called her 'Lazuli' when she was pissed off... Why was she so angry? «I'm afraid I don't. Why're you so mad?» the message was read. Lapis decided to get up and have breakfast.
She went downstairs and said good morning to her mother, before pouring herself a bowl of cereal. She took a spoonful into her mouth and checked her phone. Still no reply from Jasper. She sent another message «???» message read. After another couple minutes of waiting for a reply it became clear that Jasper was ignoring her messages now. She was really angry... But at what? What had Lapis done? The bluenette finished her cereal and went back upstairs. She'd just have to wait and find out later.
Lapis walked to school at her usual time. She was about to step onto the schools campus when she heard a familiar voice.
"Hey L!" It was Topaz. Lapis turned to her, she was accompanied by Heliodor.
"Oh hey guys." Lapis greeted. She suddenly felt eyes on her. "Uh- what's up" she started looking around sort of nervously, wanting to find the source of the burning feeling.
"Not much." Heliodor replied with a shrug "We were just about to 'go find Mary' you wanna come?"
Lapis found the source- er- sources of her 'I'm being watched' feeling. Jasper and Amethyst were over by the main entrance staring her down. Pearl, Peridot, and Garnet also had their eyes on her, though they weren't making it as obvious. "Huh? M-Mary? Oh that... I can't right now... Sorry."
"Aw c'mon Lazuli. Don't be a downer!" Topaz rolled her eyes "Lets go!"
"No. I can't... Not now..." Lapis said, her voice hushed.
Topaz rose her brow "Why not? You were into it before."
"I-I'm being watched. Main entrance is already mad at me for some reason and I don't wanna make it worse, you know?" Lapis hinted towards Jasper with her eyes as she rubbed the back of her neck.
"Ooh. I guess Jasp would be against you doing this kinda thing huh?" Topaz said with a hum. "Well if ya change your mind and decide being all caged up is no fun, you know where we'll be. See ya." And with that they walked away.
Lapis sighed "Thank you Jasper." she said to herself under her breath. "For real, thanks." She turned around for a brief moment made eye contact with her girlfriend, before the other entered the building and stalked off. Lapis was going to try and talk to her now, but it seemed like Jasper was ignoring her in real life too at the moment. Great.
Her morning classes went on as usual, nothing all that exciting, just some learning. Lunch was a pain in the ass though. Standing in the lunch line with Pearl and Amethyst a few people ahead of her, Spinel and Citrine made an approach. "Hey Lappy!" Spinel said rather loudly. "We're gonna go take a 'stroll down Toke street' wanna come with?"
"Stroll down to-? Oh nah. I-I'd rather eat something." Lapis denied the offer again.
Citrine rolled her eyes and grabbed the bluenette's wrist. "Damn Helio wasn't kidding. You are being a real loser today huh? You're coming, let's go."
"N-no!" Lapis was close to yelling as she pulled pack her hand. "I can't... I've got something to do..." She glanced around the room quickly. Pearl and amethyst were both staring now. She desperately locked eyes with the taller of the two "a-a studying thing with Pearl! R-right Pearl?"
Pearl rose a brow slightly confused, but gladly helped her tablemate deny the offer. "Oh?-um- yes! That's correct. There's a... There's a trigonometry test in a few days, and I asked Lapis for assistance in studying."
Spinel stuck out her tongue "ugh that's lame, but whatever." And turned to leave.
Citrine also made her exit "Have fun on your nerd date."
Lapis let out another sigh of relief and glanced back to her friends. Pearl offered an awkward smile while amethyst gave her a sceptical stare. Deciding it best not to stick around and have to explain herself, Lapis ran out of the cafeteria, she wasn't seen again by anyone for the rest of lunch.
In her afternoon classes she sat alone, with her earphones in. She didn't talk to anyone.
The end of the school day came on quick, and so did Lapis's anxiety as she approached the large figure waiting for her at her locker. "H-hey babe?" She offered "how was your day?"
"Shut up." The vitiligo'd teen spat. "Don't talk, just grab your shit and let's go."
Lapis nodded with a gulp and did as told. After packing up what books she needed into her backpack and locking her locker, she followed her very angry girlfriend out.
They got in the car and Jasper pulled out of the parking lot. Once they were on the road Lapis trie to make conversation again. "Where are we going?"
"Lapis, unless you want me to crash this car I don't suggest you speak to me when I'm like this." The older' grip on the steering wheel visibly tightened quite a lot, and so once again Lapis silenced herself.
They arrived at Jasper's apartment. Amethyst wasn't home. Lapis wasn't sure if that was a good thing or a bad thing. She was directed to sit on the couch, and so she did. Jasper stood towering and looking menacing before her. Jasper spoke "where were you at lunch today?"
"Sitting alone..." She didn't lie. Jasper could sort of see this, so she didn't question.
"What about yesterday and Monday during your morning classes?"
Lapis gulped. Jasper was suspicious about the incident today. She was putting puzzle pieces together. Lapis couldn't just tell her though. That'd make things much worse. "W-what do you mean? I-I was in class of course..."
"LIAR!" Nevermind. She wasn't just suspicious. Jasper knew! And she showed it now. "Amethyst said you weren't!" Oh shit. Run Lapis. You're screwed. "Where were you?! Don't lie to me this time!"
"I-I-I...." The bluenette looked away and bit her bottom lip. What should she say. Well the obvious choice was to come clean, but would Jasper understand? No she probably wouldn't. But she'll know if Lapis were to lie... Either way she'll be pissed... "I was with T-Topaz and... And the others."
Jasper's brows furrowed further, if that was even possible, as she leaned forward "and?!"
Lapis refused to look her in the eye "And we were s-smoking... Like I said I wouldn't do again..."
"I knew it..." Jasper growled lowly. "You lying scum. You lied to me about learning your lesson. You told me you would do it ever again! You-"
"I know! I'm sorry! I.... It's not-" her eyes began to water
"Don't defend yourself!"
Tears now "No! Please! Hear me ou-"
"NO! Lapi-"
"I DIDNT WANT TO!" Lapis screamed
There was a minute of complete silence. They stared eachother down... Well Jasper stared Lapis down, Lapis looked in her partners direction and cried.
"Tch... Bullshit." Jasper said at last straightening up and crossing her arms. Slightly calmer now
"N-no" Lapis tried "It's not... Entirely."
"Prove it. If you didn't want to why would you do it huh?!"
Lapis shakily sighed "They... They made me... I was a loser otherwise."
Jasper's tense form softened slightly. "Go on."
Lapis bit her lip and continued "If I said no.... They taunted me. 'You did it before. What did the police make you chicken?' 'Just when we thought you were cool you go all nerd on us again. Fucking lame.'.... If I brought up how you felt about it I was 'Jasper's bitch' the 'caged dog' an imprisoned animal that does what everyone else wants me to!" She paused to take a few breaths "the things they said were maddening! I felt like I had to smoke with them to prove a point... I'm... I'm sorry."
"You did prove a point." Jasper said, Lapis looked up to her with hope in her eyes. "You ARE a caged dog that'll do what everyone wants."
Lapis was both crushed and confused "what... Do you mean?"
Jasper let out a huff "By smoking, you did what they all wanted you to do. You weren't my bitch. You were theirs." She turned and headed to the kitchen to grab herself a beer. "I'll be in my room. When you've stopped sobbing and have had time to think about what I just said, come talk to me some more." She headed into her room and slammed the door shut leaving Lapis crying and staring at the door.

---------
An: aaaaaand I think I'll leave it there for now
Hope you enjoyed and thanks for reading
~Trash