Chapter 39

Lapis stood shocked as she looked at this shell of a man, who no more than a few hours ago was her healthy and happy father. His longish strawberry blonde hair was sweaty and matted with blood in places, the sheets he lay on and under were blotchily stained with the crimson colour of blood as well. His normally pink cheeks were pale as snow, a deep cut probably from the glass of the windshield was prominent on his left one. The lumpy mass under the sheets didn't look like a fully intact human body at all. It was obvious he was broken and possibly even missing a few pieces. His eyes were seemingly empty instead of filled with spirt. His expression was troubled, as if he was trying so hard at not showing his pain, and failing horribly. Lapis could feel a choking feeling forming in the back of her throat, she swallowed attempting to get rid of it. "D-Dad?" She asked shakily.
His head turned to look at her, wincing in pain as he did so. "L-Lappy..." he smiled the best he could through all he felt as he called her by her childhood nickname. However his smile diminished and was replaced with a frown as he saw his daughters eyes well up with tears. "Aww. C-c'mon baby-girl... don't cry. I don't like seeing you cry..." his only response was her sniffles as she took a seat next to his bed. He forced another smile "Lapis... hey, look at me." She did, hesitantly. She scanned his face again, his injuries, his blood, his pained expression, his sincere eyes... she did her best to stop her tears for him, to choke back all her sniffles, to not cry. "Lapis... l-listen. I want you to know.... I'm so proud of you honey." He muttered to her. "I-m proud of who you are and e-everything you've ever done. I'm sure I'll be proud o-of all the things you'll do from now on too. You know that right?" She nodded, unable to form words. "I love you sweetie."
"I-I.... I love you too Daddy." She coked out as a tear escaped. She knew what came next. "I don't want to... I don't want to say goodbye..."
He frowned "So you're mother told you huh?" As she nodded again he let out a shaky sigh "I-I don't want to say Goodbye either, bu-but I know it'll be much much easier for you and mom this way." He took another unsteady, pained breath "You remember what I said w-when your gramma passed?"
She wiped away a couple more of her escaped tears "S-sometimes... sometimes all you can really say is Goodbye."
He nodded, another forced smile on his lips that quickly turned to a frown "Goodbye Lappy... I love you. I love you so much honey."
She choked down a sob and forced out "Goodbye Dad... I-I love you too- I'll never not love you." She leant down and gave him one last hug. She tried her hardest not to make it too tight or to squish him, but apparently she hadn't been careful enough for he tended up in pain. "Oh my god- I'm so sorry!" She said still trying he hardest not to sob.
"No-no don't worry about it..." he didn't tell her he was fine, because in all honesty he wasn't. He was in the most pain he'd ever felt in his life, physically and emotionally. She felt his lips brush against her cheek. And nearly lost it. She pulled herself away and stood. Her heart breaking when he looked first to the nurse in the room and then deep into her eyes and said "I think it's time honey."
She nodded and started backing away towards the door. She said one more "Goodbye daddy..." before leaving the room.
With her back to the wall just outside the door she listened as the power was shut in his room, the breif sound of that iconic Flat-line sounding before it too was unplugged. She lost it right then. Hard choking sobs erupted from her, large tears streaming down her cheeks, sniffles, that made it difficult to breath, she broke. She heard the door click as the nurse left, drawing the white blinds that signalled a death lay inside and locking the door. Lapis slammed her fist on the wall, purely upset before taking off and making a mad run down the hall.

That night nobody went home to the Lazuli house. Lapis went to Jasper's for the night, and her mother went with Yelona to grab a drink at the bar before going to crash on her friends couch. Neither of them thought they could bare being there tonight with all of his things laying around. Rose and Pearl went home and Garnet went to her mothers's again. Amethyst stayed the night in the hospital room sleeping next to Peridot in the guest chair.