Chapter 32

As Peridot and Garnet put out their cigarettes their phones both lit up with a notification. Garnet glanced over at her phone and saw the school's Twitter account in the notification. She grabbed her phone and unlocked it to check what was going on. The school's Twitter briefly explained an email was on its way to tell them more about the school cancelation today. Garnet shrugged she didn't really care why the school was canceled she only cared about not having to be there.
"No school today." She said simply.
Peridot rose a brow "Really? Why?"
Garnet just shrugged "I don't really care why. But they're sending an email within the next few minutes to explain it."
Suddenly Garnet's phone rang. It was Pearl. She answered it and decided to put it on speaker "Hey Pearl. What's up?" She asked.
"Hello Garnet. Did you hear school was cancelled today? The first floor flooded a little last night in the rain." Pearls voice rang through the speaker.
"Yes Pearl, I heard." Garnet replied
"Oh good!" There was a pause on the other side "Is Peridot still with you?"
"Hey Pearl!" Peridot greeted
"Oh hello Peridot. Alright, so considering there's no school today Rose and I were thinking that you could start moving in within the next few hours." Pearl said calmly and with a questioning tone to her voice "also, do you know if your mother will be out of the house today?"
Peridot hummed "yeah that's sounds cool, and yeah i believe she works at like 8:30 this morning until around 6. Why?"
"Do you have a key to her place?" Pearl inquired
Peridot nodded, even though she knew the other couldn't possibly see her do so "Yeah it's in my backpack... Why?" She asked again.
"Well..." Pearl began "We were just thinking that maybe you could go collect some of your belongings? We just want you to feel comfortable."
Peridot though about it for a second, nibbling her bottom lip before she let out a small sigh "does anyone have a vehicle that could be used to transport larger items?"
"Yes." Pearl replied "Greg has a van, and he's not working until the afternoon today."
"Alright then. Sounds like a deal. We can begin the operation in roughly an hour and a half to two hours." Peridot agreed.
"Then it's a date! Garnet? Will you be joining us?" Pearls voice continued.
"Yeah, why not. I've got nothing better to do." The British accent responded.
"Alright! I'll ask Greg if he can go pick the two of you up at quarter after 8. See you two soon!" Pearl dismissed
"Bye Pearl." Peridot and Garnet both responded.

An hour or so later there was a knock at the door. Ruby answered it since she was supposed to head to her job soon. She saw a strange balding man it's a beard standing there. "Uh? Can I help you sir?" She asked.
"Oh! Hi- uh you must be Garnets other mom... I'm here to pick up Garnet and Peridot." Greg's voice attempted to explain.
Ruby just frowned and rose a brow and crossed her arms "Not to be rude, but what business would they have with an older guy like you?"
Sapphire's voice suddenly rang from behind her wife "Hello Greg. They'll be out in a moment." Sapphire then took a moment to introduce her wife to this man "Ruby, this is Greg, in a way he's Pearls adoptive father... not legally of course, he's Rose's husband, and Pearls been staying with them since... you remember what happened a while back..."
"Oh!" Ruby's eyes widened "I'm so sorry Mr. Universe! I didn't know... I thought you were just some creepy old hobo...."
Greg rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly "yeah... don't worry about it... I get that a lot... So yeah! Peridots moving in with us until her mother learns to chill out a wee bit... so the plan is while Mrs. Diamond's at work... we're going to move some of Peridot's things..." he told them.
"Ooooh, alright that makes sense." Ruby nodded "Great use of a School Cancellation day! Tell Pearl and Rose I said hi!" She smiled brightly.
"Give them greeting from me as well." Sapphire instructed.
"Will do!" Greg returned the smile before the two teenage girls pushed past Garnet's mothers.
"By Sapphire, by Ruby, thanks for letting me stay the night!" Peridot said with a smile
"See you later mums" Garnet gave a little wave.
Greg led them over to his van. Garnet sat up front and peridot in the back.

"I hope this room is satisfactory for you Peridot." Pearl said as she opened a door at the end of a hall on the second floor of the house "I mean it's in no way an entire basement, but I hope you can be comfortable here for as long as it takes."
The room was rather large and spacious... around 15ft by 15ft (5m by 5m)  so not overly big. There was two small bay windows equally spaced on the wall opposite the door, each with two drawers underneath for convenient storage. The room was a light pastel green in colour with white framing and with white-oak flooring. In the room already was a queen sized bed, with nothing but a singular white sheet on it and solid white head and foot boards, and two deep green bean bag chairs before a 37" flatscreen seated on a 5ft in length by 2ft in height by a foot and a half in width white 3 by 3 drawer dresser. Other than that the room was empty. The room had no closet but the dresser and drawers beneath the windows made up for that.
"Oh wow... I- it's a really nice room... to be honest I was expecting way worse!" Peridot said kind of flustered. "Is Rose here? I-I'd really like to thank her for this..."
Pearl shook her head "unfortunately Rose is walking Steven over to his school right now, he still has to go, since his school wasn't flooded like ours. But she should be back in no more that half an hour. But I'm really glad you like the room! Mine is right across the hall, and Steven's is next to yours. On my side of the hall, the bathroom is in the centre, and then it's Rose and Greg's room." She explained "That's all that's upstairs, as for downstairs... Garnet? Could you show her around down there for me?" Pearl said as she picked up a broom that had been leaning against the wall. Garnet nodded and agreed to show Peridot the rest of the house for her girlfriend, who appeared to be finishing up the cleaning of the room. "I'll be down in a few moments, I've just got to finish up with the sweeping. When I'm done we can head over to Peridot's mother's to gather her things alright?"
"Okay, sounds like a plan to me." Peridot said with a shrug. She watched as Garnet kissed Pearls cheek before leading her downstairs to show her around.
And so Peridot was shown around the fairly open first floor by Garnet, which didn't take very long. Right as the approached the front door, a large pink haired woman walked in, and was actually surprised by the two teenagers standing by her door. "Oh, hello Garnet, oh and you must be Peridot, it's so nice to finally meet you." She smiled.
Peridot returned the smile "Same here." They shook hands "Thank you for letting me stay here... you don't understand how grateful I am."
"I'm sure I don't." Rose replied "but I can tell you with certainty that I'm happy to be of help."
Peridot caught glimpse of something poking out of the woman's jacket pocket, something familiar "Wait... is that.... my mothers business card?"
"Huh?" Rose followed the others gaze and pulled the card out of her pocket. She quickly examined it. "Oh... yes it is. I met her last night on the street. She was looking for you. I didn't tell he anything so don't worry about that. She seemed worried about your safety.but she told me to call her if I've seen you. I'm not going to do that however. I know you're probably not comfortable with it but it would be nice if you called her and told her you're safe with a place to stay" The pink haired woman told her.
Peridots eyes widened slightly "She's worried about me?" Her brows furrowed again "That's a surprise. She didn't seem to give a fuck when she told me I was wrong for being gay and that I'll grow out of it."
"To be fair..." Garnet but in "it was pearls fault."
Rose seemed surprised yet intrigued "what did Pearl do exactly?"
"Now Garnet, Just because kissed my now ex-girlfriend. Aka Amethyst, aka her ex-girlfriend" Peridot said with a hint of bitterness in her voice "doesn't mean it was her fault. I mean Amethyst is also to blame."
Pearls voice came from the stairs as she joined to group near the front door "How exactly did that get you kicked out of your house?"
"Oh because after we saw the picture Jasper sent, Garnet and I kissed to even things out, like I said we did, and my mom saw, and she ended up shedding her tolerance and becoming Super-Homophobe saying her famous catch-phrase 'it's just a phase.'."
"Then it's your fault. You didn't have to kiss Garnet." Pearl said with a shrug
"And you didn't have to kiss my girlfriend either yet you did." Peridot responded with deadpanned features.
Rose intervened the conversation again "Girls, girls, before this turns into something bad, let's remember that it's in the past. Let's step away from the topic now... how about we get started on moving Peridot in? It's already a little past 8:30."
"Yes, let's do so." Peridot agreed
"I'll go tell Greg you're ready." Rose said and finally walked further into her home.
Moments later Greg emerged from the living room with his keys "Alrighty girls, let's hit the road!"

As they pulled up to Peridot's childhood home they caught sight of a car in the driveway... a car that was supposed to be gone by now... Yelona's car.