Chapter 34

"Hello, You've reached Yelona Diamond. Who's this?" The tall woman currently seated at her kitchen table said blandly into her cellphone.
A familiar voice replied "Hello, Yelona. It's Rose. My husband, Greg, he told me to give you a call."
"Oh?" Yelona said with a snarl "It's the child abductor."
There was a bubbly laugh "Ah so you've heard of Peridot's move. I didn't kidnap her, no worries. She came here willingly. But I assume that doesn't change your mood huh? I suppose you want to know why she's here?"
"I want to know what gives you the right to take up the role of mother to my child, yes." The sour response was.
"The answer to that is simple." Rose began. "Your child didn't feel safe in your household. You don't support her, or believe in her. You don't see her potential. She's a shining star, shooting her way across the night sky to find the place she belongs and make her own future, but you're her creator, a forceful burning sun, with a strong gravitational pull. You don't want her to go far from home. You want her to orbit you in the galaxy you prepared for her forever. You want her to circle around in your atmosphere, and become a great big sun like you, but that's not her wish. She wishes to burn small, as a little star, and she's found a little family of other stars that feel similarly, and they've all found me, a lovely round little planet that encourages them to shine bright as themselves and inspire others to do the same and create the beautiful constellations in the sky we see. To tell their story!"
"What kind of hippie speech was that?How many drugs are you on?" Yelona's voice asked sharp and concerned, but not for the other woman, no, for her daughter who was currently staying with that woman.
"None." Was the response "you're just to closed minded to see my point I suppose. Here I'll put it simply. You're daughters gay. You don't want her to be gay. Her friends and I accept her for who she is. She wishes to be accepted and not denied access to be herself. She came to me, to live in my household safely, until you can learn to be less homophobic."
"Oh well in that case..." Yelona said blandly "a sun is a star, many stars are suns. You're stupid comparison doesn't make sense. In other words; Fuck you. She's going through a phase. I know she'll be straight as nail again in no time."
Rose could be heard chuckling "If you hit with too much force, a nail will bend."
"Fine as straight as ruler!"
"Rulers can be flexible."
"Shut up! Look..." a stressful sigh "what do I have to do to get her to come home?"
"Well they say acceptance is the first step towards a healthy relationship... you should try it sometime." Came a simple reply.
Yelona grunted frustrated "Fucking hell... you're really getting on my nerves..."
"Here's an idea. You take some time to think about it, and give Peridot some time to calm down. Then in like a month or so you can come here and we can invite all her supporters, and you can decide whether you're right or wrong about whatever. If she likes your answer, she'll go back to living with you, if not, she'll stay here with us." Rose's voice said calmly.
Yelona hissed out "You ma'am, are pure evil. You boil every ounce of blood in my veins"
"Am I really the evil one?" Rose chuckled "Peridot would say otherwise. Anywho, feel free to call and check up whenever. I've got gardening to do~ bye!"
"Whatever... good day..." Yelona replied with a roll of her eyes. She hung up and glanced at her now-empty bottle of beer on the table. She needed another drink. She stood and headed to the refrigerator.

---------------------------
«You moved in aight?»
Peridot had received that text half an hour ago. If it had been anyone else she would've replied within a minute or two. If this had been 2 weeks earlier she would've replied immediately, but it wasn't. It was today, and it was from Amethyst. She wanted to not reply at all, but she already felt bad for not responding. She just stared at her phone screen at the message trying to figure out what to do. At long last she typed in «Hello Amethyst. Yes I'm moved in just fine.» and sent it.
Almost immediately she got another text back «Ah, ok.... Hey.... can I come over?»
She sighed. She knew what was coming. Amethyst was going to come over, and apologize a million times, and say that she missed her, and that she knew they agreed on at least a month break but that it was too unbearable, and that she felt really really really really bad. And that's exactly what Peridot didn't want... but still she replied with «why?»
«Just to chill out. If you got any of your games set up maybe we could sit around and play them? Idk... Lapis and Jasper just left to go on a date, and it's really boring here now....»
Peridot bit her lip. Was this for real or was it just an excuse to get them into the same room? Maybe Amethyst was actually doing just fine without her, and she was the one missing Amethyst... No no, she didn't miss her. She wasn't weak like that. Then why was she so afraid to let the other come over? If she didn't miss her, she wouldn't be afraid to have to reject her, right?
She stared at the screen again, but just for a moment before replying «Alright.».

------------------

Half an hour later there was a knock at the door. Pearl had answered it.
"Oh Amethyst? What brings you here?" She questioned.
"P-dot and I are just going hang out a while. I asked and she said I could come over."
Pearl looked over her shoulder and shot Garnet a concerned look. Garnet could be seen nodding. Pearl let out a sigh and let Amethyst in. "I swear to god, Amethyst, if you hurt her today..."
Amethyst waved it off "Relax Pearl. I'm only here to play video games, as friends. I know she's still upset about what happened. I just want our friendship fixed."
Garnet and Pearl looked to each other. They were both worried for Peridot, especially Garnet, who still had the image of Peridot sucking on a cigarette in the back of her mind. Garnet decided there was really nothing they could do and gave Amethyst directions to Peridot's bedroom.
Peridots door was closed, so Amethyst knocked "Yo Peri?" She asked "You there?"
"Yes. Come in, Amethyst." A nasally reply sounded.
Amethyst opened the door and stepped in. She closed the door behind her as she took a look around "Wow... nice digs..." she spotted her ex sitting in one of the bean-bag chairs and headed in that General direction. She looked to the TV, Peridot was playing 'Life Is Strange' on her PS4
"Thanks." The other replied "You can sit." She saved the game as Amethyst plopped down "What do you want to play?"
Amethyst grabbed the controller that was placed on the floor next to the bean bag chair. "Uh... don't matter to me... how 'bout something chill but fun... you got 'Little Big Planet?'?"
Peridot nodded and got up. She ejected the 'Life Is Strange' disk and put it in its case. She then walked across the room and opened the bottom drawer of games, her PlayStation drawer, and sifted through them until she found 'Little Big Planet'. She then made her way back over to the tv, inserted the game and sat down. Amethyst watched her every movement.
As the game's theme began to play Amethyst bit her lip. It was so quiet, so tense... she had to say something...
"So... I heard... you and Garnet have become pretty good friends now? Right?"
Peridot nodded "Correct. She and I bond over the few things we have in common, such as, lesbianism, hormonally influenced teenage mentalities, and our cheating girlfriends slash ex-girlfriends."
Amethyst felt as if she'd takes a punch to the gut after hearing that last part. Peridot really had no problem with putting things bluntly huh?
"O-Oh... well that's... uh... cool I guess.... so yeah about the cheating ex-girlfriend thing... I-I'm sorry..." Amethyst said very awkwardly.
Peridot rolled her eyes "Sorry it happened or sorry you were caught? Either way it doesn't matter because it still happened." Peridot said in a monotone voice "So congratulations on fucking yourself over there. I no longer withhold the trust I once had for you. That means our bond is wounded. No matter how much you attempt to stitch it back together, the scars are still there." She shook her head as she customized her sack-like character on the TV. "I was a fool to have accepted you after the Vidalia thing, and I'm a fool now for allowing you over, for allowing us to remain friends." She half-laughed "You think I would've learned the first time?"
It was silent for a very long period of time. They never actually started to play the game. For most of the prolonged silence Amethyst stared at her hands in her lap, thinking of what Peridot had just said, thinking about how right the other had been, how true it all was...... At long last, after minutes of nothingness, Amethyst replied.
"Peridot... I'm sorry...." her voice was far raspier than it usually was. Why? "I'm sorry I let you down... I'm sorry I messed everything up again, like I always do..." Was she crying? "I'm sorry I'm fucked in the head... I'm sorry I can't do anything right... I'm sorry I'm wrong!"
Peridot could only sit and watch as tears dropped onto her second PS4 controlled. All her bravery washed away... she couldn't handle it when people cried. It hurt to see someone else hurt. But should she hurt when seeing the one who had hurt her hurt? Should she feel this... hurtception? She let out a sigh. "Amethyst... Please don't cry..." she said. She wanted to forgive Amethyst, to kiss her and tell her all was okay, and that they could work past the situation that caused their part... but she knew that was only the guilt of making the other result to tears talking. She missed Amethyst, that was true, but she had learned. She wasn't so weak as to just accept her back as if she'd done nothing wrong. How else would the other learn? Her features now lighter, and her voice a tad softer and relaxed, she decided to looked her ex in the eye. "Don't cry..." she repeated "you're getting tears on my controller. If you ruin it you owe me $60."