Chapter 29

It'd been a couple days since the 'Kissing incident' had happened. Pearl and Garnet were still together, Lapis and Jasper were no longer fighting, however a Peridot and Amethyst both agreed that maybe they should spend some time apart. Not a long time... Only a month or so, until everything blows over. They'd still be friends though. Everything else had seemingly gone back to normal. Everything was running smoothly and most things had been restored to their former glory, except for Peridot's relationship with her mother. She hadn't returned home since that night and had been house hopping each night. The first night, she'd stayed at Amethyst's, and  slept on the couch. They're break-up meant they couldn't be spending the night in the same bed, comfortably anyways. The night after, Monday night, she'd stayed at Lapis's while Lapis's mom was out of town on a business trip. Last night She stayed on Amethyst and Jasper's couch again. She was technically homeless, but she didn't mind it so much. She had good friends who were nice enough to supply her with a place to sleep.
She walked through the halls of the school, heading back from the office on her way to lunch. Yelona had called the school and requested to speak to her. Peridot had blocked her mother's number on her cellphone, so this was Yelonas only way to actually contact her daughter.
The conversation had been mostly argumentative. Yelona demanding her daughter come home tonight, Peridot refusing until she received a proper apology, which she didn't get. Really it was pointless and solved nothing.
Peridot arrived at the lunch table with the food she'd taken from a Jasper and Amethyst's fridge to find the only one there was Pearl. She greeted her friend and classmate and took a seat. Pearl immediately started a conversation with her. "Rose said you're welcome to stay with us for as long as you have to." She said. The ginger was completely aware of Peridot's current situation everyone was. "But unfortunately we can't take you in tonight. The spare bedroom we have is absolutely filthy, so Rose, Greg, and I are going to clean it up today and tomorrow." She explained.
Peridot frowned "That's amazing, Thank you, Pearl but.... where will I stay tonight? Staying on Amethyst's couch is... Incredibly uncomfortable. I'd rather not stay there another night."
Pearl gave her companions a small sympathetic smile "Yeah, I understand that. That's why I called Garnet last night and had her ask if you could stay at her place tonight. She said her mother's would be more than happy to have you over."
"Really?! Well that works out perfectly then! Thanks again?" Peridot said sounding relieved. She looked around "where is Garnet? Isn't she usually the first one here?"
Pearl shrugged "I'm sure she's alright. Probably just had to stay after class for something."
Amethyst came to the table and sat next to Pearl, opposite to where Garnet usually sat. She'd been sitting there all week, considering it wouldn't feel right sitting next to Peridot anymore. Lapis joined seconds later.
"Hey guys?" The bluenette questioned. The others looked to her questionably and she proceeded to ask her question. "Would it be alright if Jasper sat with us? Heliodor, Topaz, and Spinel won't let her sit with them anymore because she's 'not cool'."
Peridot shrugged "I don't have a problem with it."
"Whatever, I see her everyday anyway." Amethyst agreed
Pearl seemed a little iffy but after a minute she also said Jasper was welcome "It's alright by me. I don't know how Garnet'll react. She's not the biggest fan of Jasper.
Lapis shrugged and called Jasper over to sit. The vitiligo'd plopped herself down on the other side of Pearl while Lapis sat across from her.
A couple minutes later Garnet walked up.
"Oh Garnet! You are here!" Pearl exclaimed happily "We were beginning to think you went home sick."
"No, I'm fine" Garnet said "but I'd be even better if Hulk Hogan wasn't sitting in my seat." She glared at Jasper.
"Oh, shit, sorry" Jasper stood and moved to sit on the other side of the table next to Lapis.
Garnet sat down and exhaled a large puff of air. She seemed angry or stressed, maybe a little both. That would explain her outburst of calling Jasper 'Hulk Hogan' but why was she so on edge? Peridot would have to ask her later.
"So G, what took you so long?" Amethyst's voice sounded
"I just had something to do." The voice the answer was expressed in was bold and sharp. The way she said it indicated that she wasn't in the mood to answer any more questions. What was her deal today? Only the stars new.

It was after school and Peridot and Garnet had just arrived home to Garnet's house. Ruby was quick to greet them as she exited the livingroom. "Hey! If it isn't our perfect little angle and her friend-o the Peri-pal! How was your days?!" She smiled brightly, she was in a really great mood, unlike Garnet, who still appeared to be... A little out of the ordinary.
Garnet let out a grunt as a response and that was it. She silently stormed off down the hall, probably to her room.
"Huh guess she doesn't want to talk about it. Wonder what's up with her?" Ruby said as she rubbed at the back of her neck in confusion and worry.
Sapphire spoke up "I'm sure there was just a little incident that put her in a sour mood. She just wants some alone time, don't worry." She reassured her wife as she took a seat. "So Peridot? How was your day?"
"Pretty good, I guess. I mean could've been better if my mom hadn't yelled at me over the school phone but yeah." Peridot responded with a shrug. Over the study sessions Peridot had also become more comfortable being around Garnet's parents.
"Oh my" sapphire said from her seat at the kitchen table "why ever is she so angry with you?"
"Garnet didn't tell you?" The two adults shook their heads. The green eyed sighed and massage her temples. "It's a long story, and I don't think you two would want to hear it."
Ruby also seated herself at the table "we've got time, and I'm sure it's nothing too horrible right? Go on shoot. Get it off your chest."
Peridot pulled out a third chair at the table, plopped herself down into it and began "Well... Basically on Sunday during that last tutoring session I had with Garnet over at my place... There was an incident... We both received texts from Jasper containing an image our girlfriends... Not being our girlfriends. They were caught in the bathroom kissing each other.... So we decided to even things out and try to move past the issue right? So we... Evened the scale and my mother saw. She wasn't impressed. Garnet tried to explain and my mother said some very offensive things not only towards us, but also directed towards the both of you... And by offensive, I mean homophobic." Peridot watched as the two adults eyes widened and they looked to each other with a knowing glance. Ruby and Sapphire's hands connected under the table as they took in the news. Peridot continued to tell the story "Garnet and I tried to stand up against her and defend you, and ourselves, but it didn't work. It ended with my mother telling me that Lesbianism is a phase I'll grow out of and that when I'm older with a husband and kids I'll realize that. I swore at her and we just left. I've been palling around and bumming a place to sleep off of my friends since then."
There was silence for a moment before Ruby exploded "Why the nerve of that woman!" She jumped out of her seat and began pacing around the kitchen angrily. "She's never even met us and she has the guts to insult our family?! If I ever see her in person I outta-"
"Ruby... Breath." Sapphire interrupted "We've dealt with similar situations before. These things happen. It alright."
"No Sapphire! It's not alright! I've had it! Bigotry! I'm so ffff- I'm flaming done with tolerating all this bigotry! We should've moved to Canada! They're way more open minded in Canada! Ugh!"
"Ruby... Calm down. If some woman we don't know wants to be a bigoted homophobic prick, there's nothing we can do about it. It's alright." Sapphire said calmly again. How did she stay so calm?
"She practically kicked her 16 year old daughter out on the street for being gay!? That's not alright Sapphire! What kind of mother does that?!" Ruby continued to pace angrily
"Yours did." the other women said flatly.
"Yeah, Sapphy, I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that my mother was a fucking Christian asshole raised along the Bible Belt throughout the 1960's and 70's At least I had my Father to accept me into his home then. Peridot's never even met her father! You know that!"
Peridot bit her lip "Y-you know... I'm going to go check in on Garnet..." She backed out of the kitchen and headed down the hall.
"Garnet?!" She called out as Ruby continued to vent off in the background. Peridot heard a cough coming from Garnet's room.
"Garnet?"

To be continued

An: yes, Amethyst and Peri split up, but don't worry it won't last. They'll be happily together again in no time. Don't worry.
Thanks for reading
~Trash