Chapter Twelve: Secrets

We got a motel room. Sam was researching while Dean was doing something with his stuff. I was sitting on the couch, staring at the celling. I still couldn't wrap my head around what happened at the lake and with that boy Lucas. I am good with kids but He looked scared. Then the thing Sam said when he came with from Stanford was still in my head. What did he mean by my parents? What are they both not telling me! I had a feeling it was connected to the journal too, and thats why they don't want me reading it. My thoughts wander until I get it by a book.

"Ow, the hell man!" 

"We been calling your name for 5 minutes." Sam said. Dean was next to him reading an article about the case.

"Wait Barr. Christopher Barr. Where have I heard that name before?" Dean muttered while looking at the laptop.

"Lucas..."I say softly. 

"Oh. Christopher Barr was Andrea's husband, Lucas's father. Apparently he took Lucas out swimming. Lucas was on a floating wooden platform when Chris drowned. Two hours before the kid got rescued." Sam reads the article to us. That must have been such a burden on Lucas. "Maybe we have an eyewitness after all."

"No wonder that kid was so freaked out. Watching one of your parents die isn't something you just get over." Dean says as he grabs the keys and his jacket. Sam and I just sat there for a minute. Dean was the only one out of the three of us, that knew both parents well. He was there when his mom died. This case just hit close to home for Dean.

----------------------------------------------------------

We got to the park and Andrea was on the bench, while Lucas was drawing.

"Can we join you?" Sam asks, while sitting next to Andrea. She seems slightly startled.

"I'm here with my son." She replies, hoping to get us to leave her alone.

"Oh. Mind if I say hi?" I ask her. She nods, Me and Dean walk over to Lucas. Dean kneels to Lucas' level. He had toy soldiers around him and he was coloring non-stop.

"Oh, I used to love these things." Dean says as he picks up on of the toy soldiers. He starts imitating gun fire, but Lucas doesn't pay attention. I look back at Lucas and watch his movements, maybe he was trying to tell us something. 

"So crayons is more your thing? That's cool. Chicks dig artists." Dean starts looking through his drawings, one was a black swirl and the other was a red bike. "Hey, these are pretty good. You mind if I sit and draw with you for a while? I'm not so bad myself." Dean picks up a crayon and starts drawing. Dean use to draw with me and Sam when Dad wasn't back yet.

"You know, I'm thinking you can hear me, you just don't want to talk. I don't know exactly what happened to your dad, but I know it was something real bad. I think I know how you feel. When I was your age, I saw something." Dean was referring to his Mom, Mary. I saw her is photos but that was it. No one talked about her really. "Anyway. Well, maybe you don't think anyone will listen to you, or, uh...or believe you. I want you to know that I will. You don't even have to say anything. You could draw me a picture about what you saw that day, with your dad, on the lake. Okay, no problem. This is for you." Dean shows him a picture with 5 stick figures.

"This is my family. That's my dad. That's my mom. That's my geek brother, My pain in the ass sister, and that's me." I smiled at Dean's picture. "All right, so I'm a sucky artist. I'll see you around, Lucas." Dean gets up and walks back but I stay with Lucas. 

"Lucas?" I whisper. Maybe he trusted me. He holds out paper and a crayon. I take it and start to draw. I suck at drawing, but I wasn't controlling my hand. I drew a picture. It was the house by the lake. I look at Lucas and he nods. "Thanks." I get up and head to my brothers.

"You know, he used to have such life. He was hard to keep up with, to tell you the truth. Now he just sits there. Drawing those pictures, playing with those army men." Andrea tells the boys.

"He a good kid, he showed me something today, and Its gonna help people." I tell her with a smile and head for the car. I hear the boys catching up to me.

"What did he do?" Sam asked, slightly out of breath. I handed him the picture I drew.

"He drew it and gave it to me, I guess its a hint." I wouldn't tell them it was me, I am not sure how they would react.