Chapter Thirty-Three: Asylum

We headed to a local bar in Rockford. We saw one of the policemen who were working with Walter the night they entered the Asylum. I sat next to him and he looked and gave me a smirk.

"I'm not in the mood for anything Miss, come back another day." He took a sip of his beer.

"Don't worry, its not like that." I put my hand out. "Ava Greene, from The Chicago Tribune, Could we have a minute of your time?"

"Yeah, I do. I'm just tryin' to have a beer here." He says as he takes another swig.

"That's okay, I swear it won't take that long. We just want to get the story in your words." Dean jumped in, I sent him a glare to back off. The guy turns to Dean.

"A week ago, my partner was sitting in that chair. Now he's dead. You gonna ambush me here?" He says as he points to where I am sitting. I get up and stand.

"Sorry. But I need to know what happened." Dean pushes. I elbow him.

"Sorry for my partner."I apologize. "I am sorry for taking his seat." The guys rolls his eyes and takes a swig of his beer.

"Hey buddy, why don't you leave the poor guy alone! The man's an officer! Why dontcha show a little respect!" Sam snaps at us. Dean gives him a glare, but I get what Sam is doing. 

"We will go, thank you for your time." I tell the Officer. I signal the Bartender for another beer and he places it infront of the officer. "Its on me." I pay for the beer and leave him and Sam alone. Dean follows behind me as we head to the Impala.

"Why did Sam gotta shove me so hard?"Dean says while rubbing his shoulder.

"Cause you were being a dick." I  tell him.

"No I wasn't I was trying to get info."

"Dude, he just lost a friend, you were being pretty hash." He rolls his eyes at me and Sam comes out of the bar.

"Shoved me kinda hard in there, buddy boy." Dean says to Sam. I throw my hands up in defeat.

" had to sell it, didn't I? It's method acting." Sam replies. 

"Huh?" I start to laugh at Dean. HE was too funny.

"Never mind."

"What'd you find out from Gunderson?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"So, Walter Kelly was a good cop. Head of his class, even-keeled, he had a bright future ahead of him." Sam said.

"What about at home?" Dean asked.

"He and his wife had a few fights, like everybody, but he was mostly smooth sailing. They were even talking about having kids." Sam sighed.

"Alright, so either Kelly had some deep-seated crazy waiting to bust out, or something else did it to him." 

"Right."

"What'd Gunderson tell you about the asylum?" I ask. Sam grins a bit.

"A lot."

=========================================

WE got to the Asylum while it was dark out. Dean and Sam hopped the fence no problem. Me, I am not that  dexterous. I got over but fell halfway down. Luckily Sam caught me like the good brother he is. We entered in and man was it creepy. It was dark and had "Stay the hell out" written all over it. We had flashlights for some light but not much.

"So apparently the cops chased the kids here....into the south wing." Sam says and points to a sign that had worn letters reading South Wing. The atmosphere gave me chills.

"South wing, huh? Wait a second." Dean stops and looks through the journal. I swear I felt something watching me. "1972. Three kids broke into the south wing, only one survived. Way he tells it, one of his friends went nuts and started lighting up the place." He reads.

"Comforting." I say and my voice echoes.

"So whatever's going on, the south wing is the heart of it." Sam suggests.

"Great." I mutter and walk towards the door with them.

"But if the kids are spelunking the asylum, why aren't there a ton more deaths?" Dean asks. I shine my light on the door and there are chains around the handles, but they are broken. I grab the chain, its cold metal exterior gives my chills down my spine.

"Looks like the doors are usually chained. Could've been chained up for years." I suggest while showing them the chain.

"Yeah, to keep people out. Or to keep something in." Dean says.

"Wow, this keeps getting better and better." I say as we open the doors.

"Come on Kitty Kat, you aren't afraid of anything." Sam snickers. 

"I'm not scared...just creeped out." I state. Both boys chuckle as we walk down the hallway.

"Let me know if you see any dead people, Haley Joel." Dean says to Sam.

"Dee." I snap. Leave him alone Dean, I wanted to yell but Sam can fight his own battles.

"Dude, enough." Sam snaps.

"I'm serious. You gotta be careful, all right? Ghosts are attracted to that whole ESP thing you got going on." Dean says.

"I told you, it's not ESP! I just have strange vibes sometimes. Weird dreams" Sam explains.

"Yeah, whatever. Don't ask, don't tell."

"You get any reading on that thing or not?" I ask, trying to steer clear of Sam's "ability thing".

"Nope. Of course, it doesn't mean no one's home."

"Spirits can't appear during certain hours of the day" Sam informs us.

"Yeah, the freaks come out at night." Dean says. Then a silent pause fills the space between us. "Hey Sam, who do you think is the hotter psychic: Patricia Arquette, Jennifer Love Hewitt, or you?" Sam rolls his eyes while Dean starts to laugh. This was gonna be a long night.