Chapter Thirty-Eight: Dad?

Sam sat up a said the one word to make us all jump.

"Dad?"

That one word made me heart stop. It was Dad, the person we have been looking for, For over six months. The person who had all the awnsers.

"Dad? Are you hurt?........We've been looking for you everywhere. We didn't know where you were, if you were okay...." He looks at me and Dean. " We're fine. Dad, where are you?............What? Why not?"

"Is that Dad?" Dean asks. I nod.

"You're after it, aren't you? The thing that killed Mom........A demon? You know for sure?" Sam asks.

" A demon? What's he saying?" I ask. Man I wanted to hear his voice.

"You know where it is?......Let us help.....Why not?" Sam's face hardened.

"Give me the phone." Dean says as he puts his hand out, but Sam ignores him.

"Names? What names, Dad—talk to me, tell me what's going on.........No. Alright? No way." Sam's fance becomes angry. Dean then snatches the phone away.

"Dad, it's me. Where are you?....Yes, sir....Uh, yeah, I got a pen. What are their names?" Dean starts writing down names on a pad. Sam starts pacing. "Okay, I got it." Before Dean hangs up, I grab the phone.

"Dad?" No awnser. "Dad...are you there?"

"I'm here." I sigh in relief.

"Dad, man we have been looking for you. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine Katarina." He says sternly.

"Okay..good. Just wanted to hear your voice." I say with a slight smile.

"Put Dean back on." He ordered. I handed the phone back to Dean. He takes it and listens to Dad. I get up and start to pack. We were going somewhere. I knew never to disobey Dad, he was trying his hardest.

=====================================

We were in the Impala, heading somewhere. Sam was silent, anger and irritation radiated off his body. He was driving.

"Alright, so, the names Dad gave us, they're all couples?" I ask, trying to get rid of the silence.

"Three different couples. All went missing." Dean stated.

"And they're all from different towns? Different states?" Sam asked.

"That's right. You got Washington, New York, Colorado. Each couple took a road trip cross-country. None of them arrived at their destination, and none of them were ever heard from again." Sam shakes his head.

"Well, it's a big country, Dean. They could've disappeared anywhere." Sam pointed out. 

"Yeah, could've. But each one's route took 'em to the same part of Indiana. Always on the second week of April. One year after another after another." 

"This is the second week of April." I state. Dean nods.

"So, Dad is sending us to Indiana to go hunting for something before another couple vanishes?" Sam asks.

"Yahtzee. Can you imagine putting together a pattern like this? All the different obits Dad had to go through? The man's a master." Dean says with a grin. Sam sighs and pulls over. He turns off the car and sits back. 

"Sam...what are you doing?" I ask.

"We're not going to Indiana." He states.

"What? Why?" I ask with irritation.

"We're going to California. Dad called from a payphone. Sacramento area code." I shake my head and let it fall in my lap.

"Sam.." Dean starts.

"Dean, if this demon killed Mom and Jess, and Dad's closing in, we've gotta be there. We've gotta help." Sam pleads.

"Dad doesn't want our help."

"I don't care."

"Sam, he gave us an order." I snap. I was sick of the Screw what Dad says act.

"don't care. We don't always have to do what he says." Sam growled. I knew where this was leading. Just like last time.

"Sam, Dad is asking us to work jobs, to save lives, it's important" Dean said. He felt the argument getting heated.

"Alright, I understand, believe me, I understand. But I'm talking one week here, man, to get answers. To get revenge." Sam pleads.

"Alright, look, I know how you feel..." Dean starts to sympathize but Sam snaps.

"Do you?" We both look at him with shock. "How old were you when Mom died? Four? Jess died six months ago. How the hell would you know how I feel?"

"Sam stop it that is not fair. I get the time maybe different but you are not in a spot to say it was your poor ass and not his. Knock this crap off." I growl. How could he say that to him. Dean puts a hand up to my face telling me to back off.

"Dad said it wasn't safe. For any of us. I mean, he obviously knows something that we don't, so if he says to stay away, we stay away." Dean tells him.

"don't understand the blind faith you have in the man. I mean, it's like you don't even question him." 

"Yeah, it's called being a good son!" Dean snaps. Sam gets out of the car and slams the door. Me and Dean do the Same. He opened the trunk and started pulling out his crap. "You're a selfish bastard, you know that? You just do whatever you want. Don't care what anybody thinks." Dean yells. 

"That's what you really think?"

"Yes, it is." Sam scoffs.

"Well, then this selfish bastard is going to California." Sam puts his backpack on and starts to walk away.

"Come on, you're not serious." Dean says.

" I am serious." That is when the panic sets in. It was happening all over again.

"It's the middle of the night! Hey, I'm taking off, I will leave your ass, you hear me?" Dean shouts. I look at Sam, giving him pleading eyes not to leave again.

"That's what I want you to do." He shouts back. My chest tightens and I can't breathe. Tears start to flow down my face.

"Goodbye, Sam." Dean says and shuts the trunk shut. Sam keeps walking. Dean turns to me. "Kat!" He looks me in the eyes. "Kat breathe. It alright breathe." I shake my head. It is getting harder and harder to breathe. "Kat, you are having a panic attack, you have to calm down." I start to shake. I start at Sam's figure that slowly disappears in the dark. Dean holds me against his chest, puts my head above his heart. I listen to the beats and start to calm down. "Shhh, I got you." He says as he brushes my hair. My breathing gets normal, but the tears don't stop.

"He left again. Dean he left once again and I couldn't stop him." I choke. I hug him tighter. 

"We got this okay. It has been me and you for a long time. We can do this." He says, but it was more of him trying to convince himself. WE got back into the car and headed to Indiana. I take my phone out and look at Sam's cell number, wanting to call it. But I don't. He left again, his loss. Its just me and Dee, just like old times.