Chapter Thirty-Two: New Cases

We were sitting in another crummy hotel. Dean was searching the Journal once again and Sam was on the phone. I was looking out the window while playing with my gun.

"... No, Dad was in California last we heard from him. We just thought...he comes to you for 'munitions....maybe you've seen him in the last few weeks. Just, call us if you hear anything." Sam said before hanging up. He puts the phone down in frustration.

" Caleb hasn't heard from him?" Dean asks.

"Nope. And neither has Jefferson or Pastor Jim. What about the journal? Anything leads in there?" Sam asks and points to the journal.

"No, same as last time I looked. Nothing I can make out.... I love the guy, but I swear, he writes like friggin' Yoda." Dean says as he closes the book.

"I could probably read it...." I say as I put the gun back together. I feel the gazes on me. "If you let me read it." 

"No." They say at the same time. 

"You know, maybe we should call the Feds. File a missing person's." Sam suggest. I snort and put my stuff down to go to the table where the boys are.

"We've talked about this. Dad'd be pissed if we put the Feds on his tail." Dean says.

"I don't care anymore." He snapped.

"Sam, we can't and you know that." I tell him, then we hear Dean's phone go off. Dean gets up and starts to look.

"After all that happened back in Kansas, I mean...he should've been there, Dean. You said so yourself. You tried to call him and...nothing."

"I know!" Dean says as he is searching through his duffel for the phone. "Where the hell is my cellphone?" I chuckle at my big brother's problem with finding things. He tends to lose stuff.

"You know, he could be dead for all we know." Sam said. 

"Shut up, he isn't dead." I snap.

"He's not dead! He's – he's..." Dean starts.

"He's what? He's hiding? He's busy?" Sam snaps back. Dean finally finds the phone and looks at it. A grin emerges from his harden face.

"Huh. I don't believe it." He chuckles.

"What?" I ask. He holds up the phone.

"It's, uh....It's a text message. It's coordinates." I feel a smile on my face because I know it has to be dad. Dean walks over to the laptop.

"You think Dad was texting us?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, he sends us coordinates before, like in the journal." I tell him as Dean looks up the coordinates.

"The man can barely work a toaster, Kat." Sam says.

"Sam, it's good news! It means he's okay, or alive at least." Dean points out.

"Well, was there a number on the caller ID?" Sam asked.

"Nah, it said 'unknown'." Dean says.

"Well, where do the coordinates point?" I ask as I move next to Dean to see the screen.

"That's the interesting part. Rockford, Illinois." Dean read.

"Ok, and that's interesting how?" Sam asks. I give him the newspaper.

"This cop, Walter Kelly, comes home from his shift, shoots his wife, then puts the gun in his mouth, blows his brains out. And earlier that night, Kelly and his partner responded to a call at the Roosevelt Asylum." I tell him, his eyes move back and forth reading the paper.

"Okay, I'm not following. What has this have to do with us?" Sam asked, which I was wondering as well.

"Dad earmarked the same asylum in the journal. Let's see..." Dean searches through the journal. "Here. Seven unconfirmed sightings, two deaths – till last week at least. I think this is where he wants us to go." Sam snorts.

"This is a job... Dad wants us to work a job."

"Well, maybe we'll meet up with him? Maybe he's there?" I suggest after Sam's whole "Where the hell is Dad Speech."

"Maybe he's not? I mean, he could be sending us there, by ourselves, to hunt this thing."

"Who cares! If he wants us there, it's good enough for me!" Dean snapped as he got up to pack.

"This doesn't strike you as weird? The texting? The coordinates?" 

"Sam! Dad's tellin' us to go somewhere, we're goin'." Dean yells. Sam gives him a bitch face and heads to go pack. I start packing my stuff when Sam leave the room.

"Dean, you know we are gonna find Dad right. He isn't dead." I tell Dee, to comfort him a little.

"I don't know Kat, I want to believe but this is getting old real fast." Dean says before leaving me in the room alone. Alone to listen to my own thoughts.