40

"I just don't get it, Vic." Harry said from my bedrom while I was in the bathroom, putting on my work outfit. We had to wear all black, which was okay since pretty much everything I owned was black honestly. "What?" I asked. I decided to put my hair in a ponytail before I walked into my bedroom where Harry was laying on my bed, staring at the white wall in front of him. 

"What Calum told you about Luke. I mean, from what you told me it sounded like Luke still has feelings for you. But why would he just let go of you like he did then?" he asked. I sighed, shaking my head. "I don't really care honestly. I don't think Calum's right honestly and I don't really care if he's right or wrong. Luke and I are over, he has made that pretty clear all since we broke up." I replied. Harry nodded. "Yeah, you're right. I just hope I see him one time so I can kick his fucking ass." Harry smirked. I rolled my eyes at him. "Please, Harry don't do that if you see him." I begged. Harry scoffed, but put his hands up in surrender. "I won't. I won't, but you have to go now and earn money." Harry stated. I pouted, but nodded. "Yeah I know. I have to go, see you later. Do something productive, I know you have an essay to write." I said, pointing at him. He waved me off, which was not a suprise.

I came just in time at the cafè. My boss, Anna was smiling at me as she always was. She was a kind lady in her fifties, always nice with everyone. "Good day, Victoria, how are you?" she asked me. "I'm good, and you Anna?" I asked. "Good, I know it is kind of a boring job, but could you have cleaned up the tables over there?" she asked. I laughed, nodding my head. "I will have to leave you here because I have some errands to do, but you're not alone. Emmet and Daniel are also here." she explained. "That's completely fine." I said to her. 

When Anna left, I grabbed a cloth with water and walked over to the tables to start cleaning up. It didn't take so much time which was nice. There wasn't that many people here either right now, it was very different from day to day, but Tuesdays weren't the most crowdy days.

After putting the dirty dishes in the dishwasher, I stood with the front where  customers paid and ordered. It didn't take long before Daniel joined me while Emmet was baking some stuff since he was basically the chef.

"Hey Vicci!" Daniel smirked, nudging my side. I laughed at him, finding it amusing that he called me Vicci. He had done it since the first time we got introduced and was the only one calling me Vicci, but it was fine by me. Daniel was the same age as me, had messy brown hair and was very tall honestly. He was handsome, no doubt in that. I think he was popular in high school, but he was very nice. He was also a flirt and liked to tease people, but it was just the way he was and I considered him a friend.

He was about to tell me about a story from the last party he went to when the door opened. Emmet turned around and smiled politely. I turned around, but to my suprise it was someone I never thought would stand in front of me again. My eyes widened and so did his. I let my eyes travel to his hand that was holding onto the girl's hand. Even though I hated to admit it, it hurt to see him stand in front of me holding hands with a girl that wasn't me. My heart was beating faster than usual and I was sure it was going to beat so fast that it would break the pieces I had finally gotten in place.

He looked both different and the same at the same time. His hair was longer, his face seemed paler, his eyes less light and happy since the time I last saw him and he had bags under his eyes. He was still as handsome as ever though, standing in front of me with a snapback he often wore when we were together and those typically black skinny jeans. However he was wearing a white t-shirt, which wasn't often I saw him wear when we were together, but I liked the color on him. 

"Hello, how can I help you?" Daniel asked, shaking me out of my thoughts. I could feel his eyes on me, but I avoided his eyes at any cost, telling myself that it was not the time to drown into his blue eyes. It also still hurt to see him with that girl in front of me, she was much prettier than me with her brown hair and blue eyes. She looked like a model and it made me self conscious. 

"Lukey!" the girl giggled, hitting his chest. He grabbed her hand, looking away from me. "Sorry zoned out a bit. Uhm we will have two coffees and I want a chocolate cake. Which cake do you want, Britney?" he asked. She giggled again and I rolled my eyes, getting annoyed. Her voice was too high pitched and her giggles sounded fake. Did she just annoy me because she was with Luke though? "I want the red velvet cake." she winked. 

"Alright, Vicci do you mind pouring some coffee to the lovebirds?" Daniel asked. My eyes widened when he said that and I wanted to puke. Lovebirds? Really. I coughed awkwardly. "Y-yeah I-I'll do that." I stuttered out, rushing over to the coffeemaker. Daniel gave me a weird look, but I ignored it as I shakily poured coffee into the two cups. My hands were shaking and I had to keep myself from crying or running out. I could do this. I could show Luke that I was over him, I didn't care. (even though I kind of did, but he didn't need to know that).

Instead of handing them the cups, I gave them to Daniel who raised his eyebrows in confusion. "Uh here." Daniel smiled. "Thank you, babe can you take the cakes?" the girl asked Luke. He nodded, taking the plates from Daniel. "Hope it tastes good." he winked when they made their way to a table pretty far away from us. I sighed in relief, happy that I couldn't see them anymore.

Daniel grabbed my arm and pulled me closer so he could whisper in my ear. "Wanna tell me what happened over there?". I closed my eyes, telling myself not to cry because all I wanted was to cry and leave this cafè. Of all places to eat cake, Luke and that girl had to come here. What were the odds to that? It felt like a knife was stabbing my chest and I had to bite my lip to stop myself from crying.

"T-that w-was my ex." I whispered, hating to call Luke my ex and also hating that he was right over there. Daniel's eyes widened before he scoffed. I had told Daniel about Luke before so he knew what he had done. "And he was too much of an ass to not shove his new girl in your face? Why didn't you say something before so I woudln't be so fucking polite to them!" he whisper shouted. I let out a shaky breath. "I was in too much of a shock. Haven't seen him in almost a year." I muttered. "Fucking prick." Daniel sighed. 

We could hear them laugh and I hated that Luke's laugh still was my favorite thing in the world. It was so nice to finally hear it, but I had to curse myself from thinking like that. Fortunately, more people came in and I could forget about them for a while, even though I could still hear them all the time because of the girl's loud voice.

The worst part was that they wouldn't leave. I mean why would they want to spend over an hour in this small cafè. People that came later than them left earlier. "Hey." Daniel said, putting his arm around my shoulders when we cleaned tables again. I turned to him and he gave me a sad smile. "Ignore them. That guy is pathetic anyways." he whispered. I sighed, but nodded my head. "You're right. Thank you." I smiled. 

"Anyways, your shift is over Vicci. Take off that apron and go do something that does not invovle in thinking about jerks.". I laughed, but hugged him quickly after taking off my apron. "You're the best Daniel. See you on Thursday. Don't party too much on those two days." I teased. He rolled his eyes, poking my sides. He started tickling me, making me laugh loudly. "Stop it, Daniel. Stop it!" I said in between laughs. He giggled, shaking his head. "Not before you tell me I'm the most handsome boy in the universe.". I rolled my eyes, not wanting to say that.

I could feel Luke's eyes on me now and of course I had to start thinking about every tickling fight we had where he made me say stuff about him being perfect or beautiful or best. It made my chest hurt again. "You're the most handsome boy in the universe." I mumbled. Daniel was pleased enough with that and pulled away. "See you on Thursday." he winked. I gave him a fake smile before I rushed out of the cafè, wanting nothing else than to go home and eat ice cream with Harry while I complain about my life which was what happened when I came home too.