Prologue

Lucy POV

"Higher!" I screamed between squeals of joy. My best friend groaned below me and as I came down he pushed my back harder and the swing rose up once again. "Natsu, look I'm flying!" I released one of my hands from the chain and held out like a wing.
"Only because I'm pushing you", Natsu growled and pushed me again as gravity pulled me out of the sky and towards the ground. I laughed at his grumpy attitude that I knew he didn't actually have.
"Stop pouting! I'll push you next, okay?" His hands rested on my back for a millisecond before pushing me on the swing once again.
He laughed, "You couldn't push me if you tried! Dad says I'm too big and strong to be pushed around now!" I could hear his gloating smile behind me. I couldn't hold back my laughter any longer.
I broke out into laughter, feeling Natsu stop pushing me I laughed harder. "What? What's so funny?" He raised his voice and slowed the swing down. I jumped off and went up to him.
"You are! Just because you're being raised by Igneel doesn't mean your any more powerful than me!" I said through bursts of laughter.
"Lucy, I'll have you know I'm six now! I'm a whole three months older than you!" he huffed and sat on the swing. I got up and began to push him. His pink, spikey hair ruffled gently in the cold air as I pushed him up and down, still snickering quietly.

We were quiet for a while, then he spoke, "How's your mom doing? Is she still sick?" I gave him another push, and spoke lightly, "Yeah, mommy's doin' alright though. She tells me everyday she's getting better but she still has to see a doctor and get shots. That's why I'm over with you all the time!"

Natsu POV

She giggled and pushed me a little higher. It was true. Lucy came home with me almost everyday, and then we took her home later that night after dinner. Igneel didn't mind the company, in fact, he loved seeing Lucy! Seeing her happy smile all the time, but every time he sees her, he looks sad. As if he knew something we didn't.

I shrugged the feeling off and looked into the sky. "One day, Lucy, I'm gonna shoot fire into the sky, like Igneel is teaching me to. Then we're both gonna go to Fairy Tail Academy together and become star wizards! I'm gonna be a fire dragon slayer, the fiercest slayer all around!" I threw my fist into the air as Lucy pushed me and face planted into the mulch below. I could feel little shreds of wood in my hair and all over my clothes. Lucy fell on the ground, laughing. Her long blond hair was getting covered in the wood pieces, just as mine was.

"You", she started, gasping for air between laughs, "You shoulda seen your face as you fell!" She rolled with laughter and I quickly got up and brushed myself off.

"Yeah, well, you shouldn't have pushed me!" I retorted back, my face curling into a frown.

She got up and brushed the mulch off my back then turned and looked me in the eye, "You shouldn't have challenged me, pinkie!" She gently touched my shoulder, "Tag. You're it!" She took off running.

I grinned and followed her, quickly catching up with her and tackling her to the ground. "Aw, you're no fun at all!" she moaned, and I offered my hand to help her up.

"You shouldn't have challenged me, blondie!"
We both laughed for a while then continued our game of tag on the playground of Magnolia Elementary School. She was fast, but I was faster. Of course, I let her win sometimes. Igneel told me never to use what he was teaching me for bad and winning all the time against your friend was bad.

The teacher's voice interrupted our play time, "Lucy! Come here! We need you for something! Quickly, please!" We both came to a halt and looked at each other.

"It sounds like she really needs you", my voice came out quiet and Igneel's sad eyes appeared in my mind for a quick second.

"I'm sure it'll only be a second, Natsu! Wait for me, okay?" She yelled back, sprinting off the playground and to the teacher.

A pit feeling grew in my stomach as she walked away from the playground and into the school building. I kicked the mulch around my feet. "I will, Lucy", I whispered to myself, "I will..."

I stood there, in the cold with my red jacket and white scarf on, until the bell rang then walked in line back to class, but Lucy wasn't there.