Chapter 2 ~ More Than Lunch

Lucy POV

     The bell rang loudly in my ear and I rushed out of the tense classroom. "Oi, Lucy! Wait up, sweetheart!" I heard a smooth voice yell. I rolled my eyes and walked faster. I had no attention of being associated with the heart throb on my first day back. I wasn't going to be that girl.
     "Luce, c'mon!" Boy, wasn't he persistent? I felt a strong hand grab my shoulder, whip me around and slam me against the locker. His dark eyes ripped through my strong mask and my own brown ones saw through his. We were both hurting. He rested his hands on the lockers on either side my head and leaned in. I couldn't help my heart from beginning to race and my breathing quickened automatically.
     He smiled crookedly and spoke sweetly, "Whaddaya say we go out later? Maybe head to my place?" I sighed and said nothing, letting the silence speak for us. It was then I saw of who I knew him as and he leaned into my ear. "We need to talk", he slipped a piece of paper into my hand and released me from his warm prison against the wall.
I slid the piece of paper into my pocket and casually walked into my next class, English, looking for anyone who looked kind enough to sit by.
A bluenette caught my eye and I gently slid into the seat beside her. She had short blue hair and wore a pair of light blue glasses with a pair of blue jeans and a light pink polo. She looked up from her book and grinned at me.
"Hi! I'm Levy. You must be the new girl everyone is talking about!" she smiled even sweeter and made the corners of my lips pull up as well.
"Yeah, I guess so. I'm Lucy." Introductions had never been my strong suit.
"Well, Lucy, welcome to English 12!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     I pulled my jacket closer to me and sat on the pavement next to Levy. Except for the cold, being able to eat lunch outside in the school'a courtyard was nice. It was quiet, as if anyone talked any louder than a low voice, the scenery would shatter. With a timid shake in my hand I pulled out the peanut butter sandwich I had made before school. Levy laughed and I blushed, "Wh-What?"
     "Do you not like jelly? All you have is peanut butter between two slices of bread!" I began to giggle as well, knowing that just peanut butter on a sandwich was not "normal".
     "I guess I'm not a huge fan of-" I stopped mid-sentence, looking at the door that had just opened.

     The wind blew, ruffling his pink hair gently and making his shirt hug his strong abs and chiseled chest. He brought his hand up and his fingers ran through the pink mop that rested upon his head. No one else was with him so for a second, I could just watch him. His smile wasn't there. It was replaced by pursed lips, slanting eyebrows and shallow breaths. Breaths that weren't from running or over working; breaths that could only hold in a panic attack. I knew those breaths all too well, myself. 

     "Lu-chan?" Levy's gentle tone snapped me out of my trance, "Are you okay? You look kinda pale." My eyes came up and met her gaze. Forcing a smile, I nodded and began to eat my sandwich. We ate in silence for a minute. 

     "Levy? I have a question about someone I met earlier. How much do you know about Natsu?" my voice shook as the words attempted to slide out naturally. 

     Shock took over her face. "Dragneel? Natsu Dragneel? Do you like him?" she put down her sandwich. 

     "No, no... I'm just curious. He caught my attention earlier and I wanted to know if you knew him." the lies poured out of my mouth with a scary ease to them. 

     She picked back up her sandwich. "Well no one really knows anything about him. He acts like this major play boy but he really doesn't ever actually do anything with any of those girls who follow him. Truly, he's the school's troubled bad boy, though no one knows if he's troubled or just playing an act. I heard it started about two years ago our sophomore year. He was fine one day with this big, goofy grin on his face and the class clown and never made below a ninety-five. The next day he came in, sat down and didn't say a word. Just put his head down. He hasn't talked much to anyone ever since. Of course, once the girls became intrigued in his little "act"  they became his little followers. They start rumors all the time about what happened two years ago. Some say his dad snapped that night and beat him. Others say that his mom committed suicide or he tried to. But regardless, he changed one day and hasn't talked ever since." She took a bite of her sandwich.