Chapter 33 - Is the worst over?

Natsu POV

"Shit! Shit, this hurts! Holy Mother of Mavis!" my teeth clenched as I tried to scream quietly, clutching my head. 

"C'mon, Natsu, it'll pass. This should be the worst one. Keep focused on reality," Gildarts spoke from the side of the bed, prepared to hold me down if I lost control.

"Remember what we said, Pyro. You can't let it take over, otherwise you'll hurt her more," Gajeel spoke from the other side.

I groaned, pushing my inner dragon down into my pit, trying to keep it at bay. It was screaming though; screaming to be let out and find my sweet love. It wanted to go out and do what we needed to do so badly. It was beating on my resistance, quietly speaking to me about the things, the things we could do if I would let my instincts take over. The way Lucy would finally love us. The way we could make her feel. The way her body would feel clutched against ours. We could protect her. We could... We could...

A sudden stinging on my face pulled me back into the world of the living. Lisanna was standing in front of me, hand still raised, "Do you want to hurt her?"

Meekly, I shook my head, still trying my hardest to control the dragon that wanted to come out.

"Then take control back. You are you and that's it. Shove it back into it's hole and don't let it come back," she yelled.

With a grunt, I gave a final mental push, sealing the door on it. For now. I took labored breaths, trying to recover from the fight for control. That was a lot more intense than I thought it was going to be. 

Slowly, I sat up, pain from my original wounds still stiff and painful. My eyes darted up, looking around at the people around me. Gajeel was the first to speak, "You handled that a lot better than I thought you would."

Still panting, I chuckled, "I'm not going to hurt Lucy. I'll put all this energy into whatever I'm doing and make myself a better wizard; a better soldier."

The whole room relaxed, realizing the worst was finally over and I hadn't destroyed anything. Gajeel and Levy finally sat down on the cushioned window couch, Levy was asleep within seconds of sitting down, uncomfortably squished up against the wall. Gajeel clicked his tongue and pulled her into his chest, claiming he was just trying to keep her comfortable. The two remaining girls giggled and I smirked, which earned me a glare. Gildarts had passed out in his chair again, snoring away. Juvia found a seat, and kept glancing at the door, trying not to fall asleep. Lisanna was just standing, staring out the window. 

Suddenly, it occured to me that the majority of the room was still functioning on little to no sleep. "Lis, aren't you tired? And have you eaten or showered or anything?"

She laughed quietly, "I kinda ate earlier. I'll probably go home later today and relax for a minute. I figured we would have to take shifts watching you. Especially after you see her for the first time."

"Ya know," I glanced at her, "This mating thing, started because you tried to play matchmaker."

Her eyes narrowed at me, the widened, "Is that what you did in the bedroom? Natsu! I just wanted you to talk!"

I laughed, "We did, and then you threw the phone and I jumped on her and the rest is history." 

The girl with white hair laughed, but said nothing more, tired consuming her as well. 

My thoughts began to consume my head. Lucy, our adventure, her saving me, me saving her, her return. 

The military.

That dreadful day when they came in my room, striking up a deal with me. A deal that gave me no time with my new love and no time to prepare for the hell they were going to enforce upon me. But, Gildarts had said I would agree, if they agreed to help find Lucy. Granted, they did nothing but at least the thought was there. They did have doctors set up, though, that didn't help in the end. 

At least Lucy was alive. 

I saw the roof collapse on her. The way she brought the whole building down, just to save me, physically hurt. I should've been the one to save her and sacrifice myself. This wasn't her fight to begin with. I dragged her into it. She came to me willingly, testing the ice to see if it would crack while I stood in the middle of the frozen lake, both urging her to come and pushing her away, which only made her walk her faster. And it would've been fine, if I hadn't walked back towards her, cracking the ice. Then, in a genius attempt to save her, I stabbed the thin ice, hoping only I would fall in, but I dragged her under with me, freezing us both in a horrible mess. 

I should've stopped and left the whole thing alone. Stayed focused on my studies and training instead of rekindling my relationship with her. If I had done that, none of this would've happened to begin with. 

A soft click was heard, and then the door peeled back and a sleep deprived ice mage stepped through the door. "She's asleep again," he stated, easing my panicked mind, "I didn't want to sit in there and watch her sleep and besides, I need to take her home." His finger pointed to Juvia, who had finally given into the clutches of sleep. "She lost so much magic power. There's no way she'll recover within the week. I'm gonna take her home and see if I can't make her stay down."

I snickered, "Damn, I never thought you were like that, Ice Princess. Don't make her too tired."

I braced for a punch, but when none came, I glanced and found him carrying the water mage. He flipped me off, before waving and slipping out the door. Lisanna closed it behind him, then made her way to the chair Juvia had been in. She curled up and I interjected, "You can go home, Lis. Get some rest in a real bed for once. Say hi to Mira and Laxus for me."

After a moment's hesitation, and a gentle glare from me, she sighed, "Fine. You're lucky I drove here, otherwise I wouldn't be going. I'll be back later today, okay? Try to get some sleep."

I saluted her, "Yes, ma'am." She laughed, and left the small room, shutting the door behind her. The sound of beeping, snores and birds waking up to the sun took over the room. I could feel sleep tugging on my own eyelids and quickly gave in to the sound embrace of slumber. 

~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_

Sorry for a shorter chapter. I just needed to end it there to give the next the full effect. 

*I don't own fairy tail

~MelodyElaine