Chapter 34 - Say Something

Lucy POV

I crept out of the embraces of unconsciousness, blinking my way into the world of the living. My hands curled around my sheets, suddenly feeling a pain in my wrist. My eyes flew open and shot to wear the pain was. A needle. A needle was buried in my skin. Confusion flickered through my brain for a quick second until I tried to lift my left arm and couldn't. 

It all came flooding back. 

The compound, the torture, the pain, the disgrace; it was all running back into my head, twirling around my non-medicated head while visions of crimson dripped from the ceiling. 

Natsu. Was he okay?

I took a look around my surroundings. It was a dreary hospital room, cream-colored walls, wooden cabinets, and a large window, with the white curtains drawn shut. I couldn't even have the warm comfort of sunlight. 

My brown eyes finally landed on a chair by my bedside. That's right. Gray was in here earlier. Or yesterday? What time was it even?

Gray told me Natsu was okay. I had saved him and destroyed the facility. He also told me Natsu wouldn't talk about it. And barely mentioned me. 

And I confessed to him.

I remember that. Clearly. The sensation of falling through the sky, but seeing his eyes, staring at me as I fell, I felt calm. I knew he wouldn't let me die; I couldn't die with him around. Because we needed each other. 

Or I needed him. 

My eyes flickered over my body that wasn't under the blanket, and tried to move the parts that were. Hardly any of them moved on my command. 

There was suddenly a small knock on my door, and a certain blue-haired smartie poked her head through the door, "Hey, mind if I visit?"

I shook my head, grinning, "Of course not! I'm glad to see you again."

Levy smiled, sitting down in the chair that sat next to my bed. "You've been out almost two days. You woke up once during surgery, once right after and haven't since."

"Maybe that's why I'm so thirsty," I laughed, and she joined me.

Awkward silence occupied the room. "There's somebody that really wants to talk to you," she smirked, "He's got pink hair, lots of bruises and his sights set on a certain blonde down the hall." She wiggled her eyebrows. 

I laughed yet again, noticing the bandage on her upper eyebrow. "I'll see him. It'll be good to see he's alive."

She nodded, got up and gave me a hug, gently, but lovingly; then she left the room, promising to bring back a certain rosy haired boy. 

My heart began to beat faster and faster. Why was I so nervous? It's not like I confessed my love or anything and totally didn't regret it.

Minutes passed, but I said nothing. Finally, there was another gentle rap on my door. "Come in!" I hoarsed out.

He hobbled into the room, his arm draped over a crutch, leg wrapped in an impressive brace, pink hair being compressed by a white bandage wrapped several times around his head. I smiled softly, trying not to let the awkward embrace the whole room.

He grinned back, "Hey, Luce. How ya feelin'?"

Did my heart always beat this fast? 

I glanced back down at my bruised and broken body. After three days, most of the pain was gone, of course drugs do wonders. I still couldn't move half my body, and the other half was in casts, but at least I could stand to be awake now.