Chapter 9 ~ General Confusion

Lucy POV

We stayed like that for the longest time. It felt good to be in his warmth again, I had missed his smell, his arms, his hair. I never realized just how good a friend he was to me. We had both changed though, mostly for the worst. Instead of the innocent children we parted as, we came back together seeing more pain than the average adult sees.

I slowly moved my head away from his chest and looked down at his tear stained shirt, blushing. "Sorry," I said quietly.

He just chuckled, "Don't worry about it, Luce." An awkward silence filled the room. I wiggled my way out of his arms and glanced up at his face.

Damn, he was really cute. I could see why all those girls chased after him for so long. He had a perfect face and beautiful lips... The hell am I doing?

Shaking myself out of my odd spell, I picked my head up and kissed his cheek. "Thank you."

He immediately stood up and turned away and stood up,"It's no problem... Whatever I did." I knew he was trying to play the tough guy but I swear I could see a hint of pink on his cheek.

He walked to the door and started banging on it. "Oi, Lisanna! Let us out now! We made up! Jesus Christ, Lisanna!" He banged on the door some more then came and collapsed on my queen sized bed. "Raised by the devil and at the age of seventeen she's already becoming a 'Mira-matchmaker'." I laughed at his description of the two white haired sisters, amused by his sarcasm. Until suddenly, his description hit me.

"Wait... Matchmaker? Does Lisanna... think you like me?" I was taken aback by the realization. She couldn't possibly think Natsu and I like each other. We were best friends, not lovers. I could never think of Natsu that way!

     The pink haired mage laughed, "Lisanna and Mira ship everyone with everyone else. The sooner you accept that, the easier your life will be here. Lisanna was apparently the one who set all this up. Let me try calling her..." He stuck his hand into his jacket pocket, then the other jacket pocket. Frantically, he began hitting his jean pockets and turning, looking around the room. "Where the hell is my phone?"

     "I've got it!" a little sing-song voice rang through the cracked door. "Gildarts wants to talk to you while you're stuck. Sorry!" She threw the phone through the small crack and Natsu jumped for the phone, which landed on the bed beside me.

     "Natsu! Wait, no!" I grunted as the fire-head landed on top of me, knocking me onto my back. Groaning I looked up to see his face inches from mine, and began to realize the position we were in. I was laying on my back below Natsu, who was on all fours, his knee between my legs and hands on either side of my head. "Oi, Natsu!" I gasped, my face heating up quickly.

     He cocked his head, "What's wrong, Luce?" I began to think he actually was clueless and oblivious until he started chuckling. "Did you wanna be the dom?" I was frozen in shock at his sexual ease. He began to laugh hysterically, rolling off of me and clutching his stomach. "You- You shoulda seen your face! You looked like I had just confessed to being a serial killer!"

     Rage began to build up in me. I kicked his laughing ass off my bed. He landed with a loud thud, moaning in pain. It was my turn to lose myself in laughter, rolling onto my side, kicking my legs and crying at the way he stood up instantly. "Why'd you do that? Every other chick in the school would've loved to be in your position!" His arms crossed across his chest and his lips set into a pout, a hint of blush appearing on his cheeks. I laughed harder.

Natsu POV

     I looked down at her on the bed, rolling in her own tears of laughter. An evil, magnificent plan popped into my head. I grinned, jumping onto the bed, causing her to scream and sit up instantly, her head was flying towards my face. I closed my eyes, but instead of an impact, warm lips pressed upon my own. I opened my eyes to find Lucy's brown eyes right in front of mine.

     But she didn't pull away.

     Instead she closed her eyes, actually enjoying what was happening. She placed a hand on my face, pulling me further into her, my eyes closed slowly. I began to lift my hands around her back, wanting to pull her closer to me, wanting to continue this kiss to figure out what exactly was happening. She was truly captivating. Her lips were warm and her hand resting gently on my jawline made me want more of her touch.

     My arms were just about to connect around her when the knob on the door began clanking and moving. We instantly moved apart, setting our hands in our laps, not daring to look at each other. My heart was racing in my chest and I could hear her's racing as well.

     What just happened?

     The door creaked open, revealing a tall man dressed in a black cloak. "Gildarts!" I yelled, glad for any distraction from the awkward tension that had filled the room. 

     "Yo, Natsu! Whatcha doin' here?" Gildarts grinned from ear to ear, then looked at Lucy, "Getting some, eh?" 

      Lucy screamed, "What? No! No! Not at all! We were j-just talking! That's all!" Her face was tomato red and growing more red with every syllable. Gildarts laughed and looked back to me, I could feel my face flush up as well with his suggestive stare.

     "Get your head outta the gutter, Gildarts!" I yelled, a visible tick mark on my forehead, "Me and Luce were just talking. Nothing more, nothing less. Now what the hell did you want?"

     The man grinned, "Just to see how my boy was doing. After the week you've had I figured I'd pay you a visit and Mira told me you were here for some reason. I see now why you were here!" I growled and started to turn around to face Lucy when she brushed past me and quickly walked out of her bedroom door. I heard the front door open and slam shut. Frozen, I stared at the place where Lucy and I had exchanged a moment with our lips. 

     Did this change what we were? What did it mean? Did it even mean anything or was it just a stupid coincidence? Questions ran through my mind at light speed, none of them with answers. I ran my fingers through my salmon locks, anxiety trying to creep its way onto my soul and crush me. Maybe it didn't change anything. I mean we were still friends, right?

Lucy POV

     I brushed past my pink haired friend and ran out the door, slamming the door behind me. Tears were threatening to pour from my brown orbs and down onto my face, but I wouldn't shed any more tears over him. 

     Did he know what he was doing? And why did I kiss back? He was my best friend -my brother almost- and I just tried to start a make-out session. Dammit, what have I done? 

     I sat down on the concrete against the wall hidden behind a trash bin. "Luce? Lucy? Come back, please! I wanna talk some more! C'mon, Luce." His voice rang out into the air, getting louder and higher when he got no response. A tear slipped down my cheek but I quickly wiped it away. "Lucy, I can smell you so just come out." Damn dragon instincts.

     I stood up and walked out from my hiding place. He was facing away from me, glancing around the small apartment complex. My small voice spoke, "Natsu, I'm behind you." He whipped around, smiling when he saw me. 

     "Let's just pretend the last five minutes of our lives never happened okay? It was an accident and nothing more. All we did was share backstories. No tickling, awkward positions or... kissing. We simply spoke. Okay?" He was walking towards me as he was talking. 

     I nodded, "That sounds good to me. As long as it doesn't affect anything else about us."

     For the first time in eleven years, I saw his grin. The grin that would make me smile on the bleakest of days. That signature goofy grin that showed his little baby fangs and went all the way to his ears. I couldn't help but smile weakly back. "It's settled then! We're friends!" He grabbed my hand and pulled me in for another hug. 

     His chest was so warm and his arms wrapped around my back, protecting me from the rest of the world. My arms snaked around his waist. "Always!"

     He released me, smiled and ran off, saying something about Gildarts and training. I dropped my lips into a relaxed frown and touched my lips with my fingers. 

     My first kiss was just taken by a pink haired idiot.