Chapter Seven ~ Backstory

Natsu POV

I broke down and began to tell Luce everything...

     "Igneel!  Igneel! I'm home!" I ran into our little clearing of forest and threw my stuff on the ground, running into the clearing only to find it empty. "Igneel...? Where are you, dad?" I called to my missing father, only to find no reply. "Dad... Dad this isn't funny..." I walked aimlessly around in the cold, although the cold had never really bothered me with my fiery body temperature.

     Where could a big dragon like Igneel gone? He couldn't hide very well since he was so big. He wouldn't just leave me... Would he? No. Igneel would never just leave me alone. It must be an emergency dragon meeting. But now I have no one to play with... 

     I looked around the field, depressed. I missed Luce... and now I missed Igneel. Would people just keep leaving me? But there's no reason to worry about Igneel. He'll be fine. He's stronger than me! And I'm always fine. He wouldn't want me sulking around. I'll do my homework and start decorating for Christmas! 

     The flashbacks began to flow back to me. I stopped talking for a second and looked at Luce. She was staring at me with care flowing out of her eyes. I took a deep breath and continued. 

     A week passed like this. I would wake myself up and go to school, but with each passing day I grew more and more worried about Igneel. He had never been away this long. When school gets out for Christmas, I'll go find Igneel. I shouldn't have to go far because I'm sure he's on his way home by now! 

      I got home on the last day and began packing. I would need food, blankets, maybe another coat in case the snow comes early this year. I managed to get all the stuff into my school backpack and threw it on my back. 

     I stood at the entrance of the forest on the side of the clearing that Igneel had told me never to go because that's the place he went. But I was big now! I know he came this way. I could smell him this way when he first disappeared. With a deep breath, I took my first step into the forbidden forest. When nothing attacked me, I kept walking, getting more confident with every step. I was seven now. What was I so scared of? 

     Loneliness set in over me after a week of traveling. My food supply was running low. And the green forest was now dull and lifeless as the first snow started. "Igneel! Luce! Someone... Anyone..." I yelled, hopeless, numb and shivering. My stomach growled loudly and my head was spinning violently. I have to be strong though. I'm not weak. I will find them and then my life will go back to normal. Luce can meet Lisanna and help me beat up that stupid ice princess, Gray. 

      I couldn't stand up any longer. My head was throbbing. I fell to my knees. I had been going without food for five days. The ground met me as gravity dragged me down. I'll just rest for a little... bit... Darkness took over my body and a calm finally released the hunger I had been feeling for so long. 

      I told Lucy about Gildarts and how he found me and quickly became my new father. "Gildarts saved my life and loved hearing about my time with Igneel. After a few days, though, he started to get suspicious about my schooling and where I had come from. I told him about school and the field I grew up in. Gildarts wanted to take me back..."

      "No! I have to find my dad! I have to find Igneel! He's out there and I just know he needs me to save him! I bet he's testing my power. I can't go back!" I yelled at Gildarts loudly.