Chapter 29 - The Roar

Natsu POV

"Yes, sir. I understand. Thank you," I stated, my voice flat and monotone. 

The military man nodded and shut the door behind him with a gentle thud. I collapsed onto my pillow and pulled it up over my face. "What am I gonna tell Lucy?" I groaned.

Happy was crying small tears,  "Natshu... You can't!"

"I have to, Happy. I don't have a choice. Right now, I have my hands tied," I stared down at the blank sheets, trying to avoid eye contact with the people I cared for. 

"Natsu, we wouldn't have done it if we didn't have to, but we know how much you wanted to-" Gildarts started, but I stopped him.

I growled, "Want to find Lucy. It's not over yet."

"Fine. We know how much you want to save Lucy and it was our only hope. I don't like it either but they approached me and... They didn't go to Mira. They came to me, which means they know the whole story."

"I'm not mad, I just don't want to leave Luce for that long."

"Kid, it's been six hours since they left and began the final search and..."

A scream from the hallway interrupted our conversation, "I need oxygen and an IV over here! We won't be able to hold her for very long!"

"She's losing color and temperature! Someone bring me some fluids, stat!"

Without thinking twice, I jumped out of the bed, snapping most of the wires and tubes in two, and rushed to the door. Pulling it open, I poked my head out to see a sight I was beginning to lose hope I'd see. 

Lucy breathing. 

Just barely, and I could only just hear her heartbeat, but it was there. 

She was alive.

Gildarts POV

"Lucy!" the pink haired teenager roared, throwing open the door and reaching out to the gurney she was speeding past on. His hand brushed her arm, and the color came back into his face. 

So it was starting. 

His dragon instincts are beginning to take over and realize Lucy's the one he needs. 

All the symptoms and signs are kicking in. He's growing up. 

I walked up to him and tapped his shoulder; his face was beginning to scale up but disappeared when he saw me, a confused expression on his face. "Was that Lucy?"

I nodded, "Didn't you see her?"

He gave a slow nod, "Yeah, but she looked different."

"How'd she look?"

"Beautiful."

Levy POV

A roar made me turn on my heel and look back down the long, white hallway I had just come from. 

Was that Natsu?

A deep voice interrupted my solace, "What's up, Shrimp?"

I yelped, turning back around to face a large man with black hair and a cocky smile. "Nothing, I just thought I heard Natsu..."

Gajeel nodded, "I heard it too. His dragon instincts are awakening and realizing what Lucy is to him." He sighed, "I'm gonna have to have the talk with that idiot."

Cocking my head to the right I asked, "Why can't Gildarts?"

His red eyes rolled around, "Do you know how that would go? 'Natsu, when a dragon loves a girl, they take them and have sex with them, do you understand?'"