Chapter 37 - Almost Time

Natsu POV

I glanced around. At all the faces, trying to remember every detail. 

Gray as he held Juvia's hand behind his back, and pulled her back every time she tried to pull it out. Guess he still hadn't told everyone. 

Mirajane as she and Laxus held each other, their hands resting gently on top of the baby bump. 

Gajeel with his large arm on top of Levy's head. She tried to lift it, but he simply whistled and continued talking to Gray as if nothing was happening. 

Gildarts, trapped in a conversation with Lisanna and Gramps. Of course, the alternative was talking to me and I don't think he was ready for that either. 

Wendy held Happy, and they tried to comfort each other.

Even Erza had snuck out of her house to say goodbye. 

And Lucy. She stood right next to me, our hands interlocked, but hidden behind our legs. I couldn't let go of her. It was painful. Every part of me knew this was making it worse, but I didn't have the heart to fight any of this right now. 

After they had finished scolding me for taking off with Lucy, they went back to what they were doing. Maybe because my eyes turned to slits, maybe because they felt bad. 

Finally, she spoke, quietly, "You still don't have a time on when you'll be back?"

"They're not sure. There's quite a few things on their agenda for me to take out. I finally get to take out full towns, Luce," I forced a smile.

I glanced down in time to see her lips curl into a smile, "I know you've always wanted to do that."

My deep laughter filled the room, "I've always wanted to do it without getting in trouble."

Her chest expanded, the scarf resting on top, taking in what little oxygen we had left together. Silence filled the room, and I listened to the sound of her heart beating. Slowly and calmly, like the steady rhythm of fire crackling in a fireplace on Christmas. When I ran my thumb up and down her shoulder, it sped up, ever so slightly.

I could make her perfect heartbeat speed up.

Only I could.

Her voice pulled me softly from my quiet heaven, "I don't want you to go."

"I don't want to go. But it's the only way the government will let me off the hook."

"Then we can go off and stay hidden from the government! Live off away from society in a volcano or something for you!"

Lucy POV

I couldn't believe the words that were coming out of my mouth. My whole body was in a mess of broken pieces, and I wanted to run away with the boy I had just gotten to meet again. Sure, we knew each other as kids but I don't know him as an adult. I have to be high off the pain medication.

"Luce, I'll be back before you know it. There's no need for that. And besides, they'd find us. Trust me," he spoke quietly, in a hushed whisper, nustling his lips on my hair.

Gildarts shot him a glare. Natsu groaned and lifted his head, "Party poopers."

I chuckled. He was a mess. But he was my mess. 

His hand was warm, and I didn't want to let go. Truth be told, I didn't even know if I could let go. I didn't know when I would hold it again, or if I even would. Every part of me wanted to latch on to him and never let go. 

I didn't dare check the time. I didn't want to know how little time I had left with him. Would he come back the same way? Would the military change him beyond recognition?