Chapter 31 ~ Playing the Waiting Game

Lucy POV

Pain. Searing, burning, stabbing pain. Everywhere. 

Bright lights flashing. People talking. 

Beeping. Beeping. Beeping. 

I moaned, the pain in my abdomen and legs becoming too much.  My eyelids tried to flutter open while I listened to the sounds of the people around me. 

Finally finding my body, I attempted to sit up, moving my arms on the cold surface to brace myself. Unbearable pain ripped through my lower half as I contracted my abdominal muscles. A scream escaped from my raw and bloody throat. I fell back onto the metal sheet, flashbacks of the pain, the metal table, the tools, reappearing in my mind. Panic set in. 

I screamed louder, trying to flail and get away. That was it. I hadn't escaped. I hadn't done enough. All my sacrifice and all I had done was buy time. 

"Natsu!" I yelled, the taste of blood potent in my mouth. 

Every movement tore me in two horrible pieces, the stabbing sensation sending pulses to my head, shooting adrenaline into the places I could reach. 

"Natsu!" I screamed again, just hoping he could hear my attempts to reach him. He had to. He was the only one who could save me.

The sounds of the voices, although still muffled, got louder and more panicked. The beeping intensified as I yelled and yelped in pain. 

Suddenly, there was a sharp prick in my arm, right as I managed to open my eyes and I found myself in an all white room, lying beneath large lights, surrounded by people in scrubs and masks, covered in blood.

The prick soothed, a cool liquid running through my veins. The pain subsided, the screaming stopped, all my muscles began to relax. Still though, I wanted Natsu. 

I needed Natsu.

I could feel sleep tugging on my body yet again, only this time, it was peaceful and calming. My breathing went back to normal and I turned my head, feeling unconsciousness pull me under. 

"Natsu..." I breathed out, as the darkness consumed me.

Gray POV

My sweet sleep was interrupted by the sounds of rustling coming from the darkness in front of me. Quiet footsteps followed by some rustling and then, the sounds of a key sliding into my lock. With silent movements, I snuck to the light and flipped the switch, catching my blue haired guest trying to get out. At two in the morning.

"Juvia, go back to bed. It's late. We can go back to your place in the morning," I groaned out, my voice still deep from exhaustion.

"Juvia is sorry, Gray-sama, but Juvia won't take Gray-sama's bed any longer so Gray-sama can get rest, too. Juvia can find her way home and then go to the hospital in the morning to see love rival and Natsu," she continued fumbling with the key, obviously still not even remotely rested enough to think straight.

"I can see from here you're not ready to be walking around. What if you get ambushed on the way home? How are you going to handle that without any magic power, whatsoever?" 

"Juvia is fine, Gray-sama. Please lock Juvia out once she leave so Gray-sama can sleep safely just like Juvia will once she gets home."

"You've been trying to get in my bed for years, so just enjoy and go back to sleep. We all need rest to recover just how much magic we used to recover Lucy." I had made my way over to her and rested my hand groggily on top of hers, removing the key from her hands with soft, delicate fingers. Reluctantly, she released the key and stepped away from the door, eyes glued to the floor underneath her.