Chapter 5 ~ Talks

Lucy POV

     A week had passed since my encounter with Natsu outside my apartment- or rather our apartment complex. I wasn't sure why, but my heart ached a little bit whenever he walked in the room. Though something in his demeanor had shifted. His usual rowdy entrance into any classroom with human beings in it was replaced by a stern glare from under his hood and a quick walk to his seat where he laid his head on the desk and only looked up to take notes or pass up his homework - both of these activities were not normal for him by any means. The sparkly onyx eyes he normally wore had been replaced by a glaze of despair, covering the happiness of his personality. During lunch, his presence at the popular table was absent, leaving the "fangirls" to talk amongst themselves about his features.

     I sat with Levy and her friends personally: A blue haired water Mage named Juvia, the boy Juvia was in love with and Natsu's beat friend Gray, a white haired beauty with take over magic named Lisanna and her brother with twin magic, Elfman, a rather scary looking boy with long, unruly black hair also sat with us a lot, Gajeel, a little freshmen with blue hair, Wendy and with her another freshmen boy with black hair followed, Romeo. Occasionally, a girl named Cana would join us with a paper bag she sipped out of. Together, they were a loud bunch, always fighting and laughing.

     This particular day, Gajeel was talking to Levy or "Shrimp" as he calmed her, Gray was avoiding Juvia's grasp, Elfman was "fighting" (flirting) with another girl who sometimes say with us, Evergreen, and I was sitting on the bench, mindlessly munching on my peanut butter sandwich.

     Natsu...

     A poke on my arm snapped me out of my trance. I looked over and found Lisanna smiling gently. Her smile reached all the way up to her blue eyes and suited her face well. She was almost always seen smiling and trying to cheer others up.

     She spoke loudly over the white noise of the cafeteria, "You look down, Lucy. Is everything alright? Puppy eyes are something I don't like to see on other people." Floppy puppy dog ears appeared on her head, causing a chuckle to escape from my mouth.

     I smiled, "I'm okay. Just... Puzzled, I guess and maybe a little bit hurt..."

     Lisanna gave me a tender smile. "It's about Natsu, isn't it?"

     My sad eyes jerked up, "How... Did you..."

     She laughed softly, "I've known Natsu since we were in the second grade and he always talked about "Luce" and how he couldn't wait for her to come back."

      I grinned at the thought of him talking about me to other people. He was so dense sometimes I figured he had forgotten about me until I showed up here again.

      "But towards the end of second grade", Lisanna started her story again, "he got really distant and didn't talk to anyone. Me and Gray are the only ones that know what happened that year."

     Curiosity got the best if me, "What happened? And him and Gray never got along."

      "That's his story to tell, no offense. I just feel like he'd want to tell you." She looked up and flashed a sympathetic smile. "And you're right but when he started getting depressed, all Gray wanted to do was help. But he disappeared for a few weeks and when he came back, he wouldn't talk to anyone, not even the teacher. Slowly, he opened up to me and Gray and revealed his crushing story. We promised to help him and it actually got us locked up a few years ago."  My eyes bulged out of my head and she laughed. "Only for a few hours. But regardless, when he got back, he wasn't the same Natsu... He had changed. He stopped wearing the scarf Igneel made for him, started ditching school, leading girls on, all that stuff he does, or did, now." She sighed at the end of her story. I was glad to know a little more about his life.