Chapter 14~ Gone

Natsu POV

     The lovely blonde eventually slipped into a state of restless sleep, leaving me alone in the coming morning. Gildarts still hadn't returned and worry was beginning to poison my mind. I pulled out my phone and checked the time. It had been three hours. Dawn was pressing on the sky and light was beginning to seep through the windows. I looked at Lucy once more, studying her shut eyes, and pink lips. She looked calm. Almost at ease. My hand rested on her arm; she tensed then relaxed even more than before. Her heart rate slowed down and a deep sigh filled her lungs. A small smile crept onto my face. 

    I had missed her. Her blond hair, her smile, her brown eyes.

     My mind wandered to the past we had shared then lost. Little Lucy was happy and fun-loving along with little me. Her determination was unmatched in all the land and her generosity matched that of a lovely princess. 

     A soft lullaby came into my thoughts. A lullaby that I had made up as a child when I couldn't sleep and Igneel was already asleep. A lullaby based on the sounds of the night in the open fields of my home. I began to hum it softly, letting my mind melt into the gentle melody. Eventually, Mira had heard me hum and put words to my rhythm and notes. My low voice began to sing the timid melody.

"Hush now my darling.
No one can hurt you now.
Not he, not she, not I.

Lay your weary head to rest
Hush now, sleep now, darling
Don't worry about the sounds
That blow the trees in the night.

Hush now my darling
No one will break you now
Not him, not her, not I.

Lay your weary head to rest
Sleep now, dream now, darling.
Don't worry about the feelings
The fallen branches bring.

Hush now my darling
Nothing will tear you down
Not it, not that, not I.

Lay your weary head to rest
Dream now, rest now darling
Don't worry about the dark
That brings the morning light.

Hush now my darling
Nothing will wake you now
Not we, not them, not I

Lay your weary head to rest
Rest now, sleep now darling
Don't worry about the grass
Where your head lies tonight."

     I finished quietly, lost deep in thought at the lyrics when a hand reached up and touched my shoulder. Startled, I glanced at the owner and found Lucy fluttering her eye lids open to meet my eyes. She smiled weakly, "That was pretty. Where did you learn that?"

     I could feel my cheeks heat up red. "I... I taught myself. A lot of late nights as a kid alone, I guess. Mira was the one who put words to it. For the longest time I only had a melody."

     "I never knew you could sing."

     "It's not something I openly flaunt."

     She met my gaze, trying to pose a strong smile. "You should. It's really... Pretty..." Her eyes were drooping to a close.

     "Luce?" Panic rushed into my veins. She was struggling to stay awake, and I could tell it hurt her.

     "I'm okay, Natsu... Just tired... I want to sleep..."