Chapter 22 ~ A Dark Turn

Lucy POV

Natsu's screams died down as this sick man dragged me down the hallway. I was shaking violently, and couldn't stop. No part of me was cold, I was simply shivering as if I was. Maybe it was the terror I was feeling or just shock, but either way, I wanted it to stop. 

"You're awfully quiet, little princess. Something wrong?" he said, his words dripping with an artificial sugar.

I said nothing, but simply stayed silent, trying my best not to yell in pain, just in case Natsu could still hear.

The man spoke again, "We're gonna have fun today. Boss has been wantin' a celestial mage for awhile now and if you hadn't protected that other mini dragon slayer, we wouldn't have found you. Sure our initial plan was to use you to get Natsu but, hey, we had to take the opportunity. How many golden keys do you have again?"

Silence.

He twisted my blonde locks, causing a scream to echo from my mouth, "Look here, Blondie. I like you, but you answer when I speak, is that clear?"

I nodded, forcing back tears. 

"Good. Now, how many golden keys do you have?" He dropped me to the floor as we reached the room of torture, going to get something set up for me, I assumed. The sound of his feet and my struggled breathing were the only sounds of the small room. 

I grunted out, "Ten." 

"Finally," he walked back over and grabbed my hair once more, "Now, was that so hard?" I simply grunted as he pulled me back towards the table, then throwing me onto it, just like he had yesterday.

Or was that the day before? 

Suddenly, questions I couldn't answer flooded my mind. How long was I asleep? How was Natsu? Where was I? What day was it? Was I missing school? 

Had Natsu sacrificed himself knowingly to save me?

Pain rippled through my thigh and electrocuted my body as a knife slid into it, causing a scream to echo out of my mouth and into the silent, stale air. Almost as if I was in the crisp, cold mountain air, and a scream was echoing off the mountainsides. 

Basically, I knew Natsu could hear it. As it bounced off the cement walls, broke through the steel doors and slid through cracks, if he was awake, it was hitting him.

The black eyed man pulled it out of my leg and eyed my grimace, not saying a word, but staring intensely, like I was a statue at a museum that no one knew what to do with. 

He flipped the knife in his fingers and began to chuckle under his breath, dark and deep. "Oh, my darling Lucille," he held the knife to my cheek, just below my eye and scraped down gently, causing a trail of blood to trickle down the right side of my face, "I hate to see you scream like that." He leaned down in my ear, me still holding back screams of pain, "Would you like to feel something different?"

A screech interrupted his whispers, "Ryker! Where's the boy?" A man, probably age sixty or seventy, entered the room, glaring daggers at the boy in the crook of my neck. 

With the sound of the man, he slowly stood up, turning and glancing nonchalantly at the elderly man in robes. "In his cell, boss. I just wanted her for now. I can't have fun if he's watching."

"Ryker, your job is to break both of them, not just her. Go back and get the boy, then you can have fun while he watches. You do that anyway, right?"

"Yeah but he yells at me. I can't do that. It's buzzkill."

"Shut his mouth. Just make him watch."

'Ryker' gave an exasperated sigh, "Alright, I'll go get him. But I'll need tape."