Chapter 30 - Learning the Truth

Natsu POV 

"Lisanna, could you give us a minute alone with Natsu?" Gajeel asked. Confusion ran through my mind as I pondered the questions Gajeel had just asked me and the fact Lis had to leave.

Regardless, she nodded, seeming to understand what this was about. Glad I'm the only one who doesn't. 

I hobbled over to the bed, easing my way onto it and sitting so I could see Gajeel, Gildarts and Levy. 

"So, what's the problem?"

Levy POV

I sighed, taking a seat on the counter while Gajeel took the wooden chair beside Gildarts. The iron dragon slayer began, "Natsu, humor me, how much did Igneel teach you about mating?"

Gajeel almost never called Natsu by his actual name. Usually it was "Pyro" or "Flame Brain" and they almost never talked like normal human beings having a normal conversation. 

Natsu paused, furrowing his eyebrows, "Not much. He told me that when I got to be older, I would have to choose a mate because it's what dragons do."

We all sighed. "Well," I started, "that's not wrong."

Natsu POV

The three mages exchanged glances and finally Gajeel spoke, "Well it's a little more complicated than that. Dragons and their mates are lifelong partners, always staying together no matter what. They feed off each other and the more powerful the dragon, the more powerful the effects of mating get."

Levy started next, "Dragon slayers are no exception to this rule, only instead of searching your whole life for a mate, you begin the search when you turn eighteen. The farther away from your mate you are, the more out of it you get until you are reunited with your mate. Once united with your mate, your mood rises, your fighting skills escalate and your dragon senses heighten. Besides from that, nothing special happens."

I cocked my head to the side. Igneel had taught me that much. This is what they got all prepared to tell me. "Is that it," I questioned, "Because I actually knew-"

"We weren't done," Gajeel growled, "Nothing special happens until one of you realizes the love you hold for the other and confesses. After that point, you enter the 'intermediate stage' of dragon mating. This is when true 'mating season' begins. Your dragon senses begin to take over and you and your mate will heal each other, feel each other, and feel physical pain when far away from each other."

My eyes flickered to Gildarts who began next, "The last stage can get... complicated." 

"It's mating right?" I stated, glancing at the shocked faces around the room. "Well, I'm not that stupid. We forget I'm the school's playboy."

"I hate hearing my own son say that," Gildarts rested his face in his hands and groaned, "Regardless, after confession, you dragon senses will continiously heighten until you... mate with your mate. It will get harder and harder to control yourself in any situation where you need your abilities: fights, training, arousal, so on, so forth. And like Levy said before, the more powerful the dragon, the more powerful the power of mating."

"And you're kinda the son of Igneel, King of the Dragons..." Levy's soft voice trailed off at the end.

I shrugged, "So what? That just means I'll continue to be out of it until I find my mate right? And it'll be at least two years before that happens because-"

"Natsu, what if you've already met your mate?" Gajeel yelled.

A silence swept over the room, then my laugh rang out, "That's funny, you think I'm able to find a mate after all the shit I've been through? What girl in their right mind... Oh, shit."