Chapter 20 ~ A Part of the Truth

Natsu POV

"How much time do we have? 'Cause they ain't gonna be very happy when they find out that the military is on their way here," a guard spoke in a whisper outside my cell. I had been awake for a few minutes now, while Lucy slept peacefully in my arms. The guards were talking about me, and about how there were people who had found out about my outburst and were coming to talk to me. Of course, I wasn't home, and they would soon realize that. 

"Well that little punk shouldn't have lost it again. That's the third outburst this month. The doctor is pissed, though. I saw him while I was upstairs. He's just walking around yellin' at Byro," the other guard whispered, "It was pretty scary. His little temper tantrums are something else." 

"Yeah they are..." Silence filled the long room. I couldn't tell what time it was but I had a feeling it was pretty early in the morning. At this point, Gray and them had to have a plan, right? They had to have some kind of idea or something in mind to save Lucy and I. They have to... Because I don't know how much time we have left. This cell was anything but comforting; compared to the torture Lucy endured yesterday, however, it was heaven. 

My mind went back to Lucy's wide, blood-shot eyes and tear stained face from yesterday night as she desperately tried to make her ripped skirt longer. She must have felt so violated and fearful, especially to come back and fall asleep in my arms like this. 

I wasn't complaining though. Having her right here in my protection was an amazing feeling; in fact, I couldn't imagine a better feeling. It's strange, after all these years, I figured our reunion would've been more friendly and open, but still awkward after twelve years. Instead, it was strange, eventful and passionate. An experience that altogether changed me in a week. I went from being someone everyone swooned over to the person I used to be: playful and determined. 

There was just something about Lucy that made me want to do anything for her. I would get on a thousand trains and be motion sick just to make her happy. I would give up my magic to protect her. I... I think I love her. 

As if on cue, the beautiful blonde began to stir in my embrace, arching her back to stretch but shuddering then lowering back down onto the ground and looking back at me. Her face was scrunched into a frown. "Good morning. Are you okay?"

Lucy POV

I nodded, intent on not worrying him with my petty pains. But his eyes pleaded for an answer, so I shook my head and spoke quietly, "My back is killing me. I think it's from yesterday."

His dark eyes widened, thoughts immediately shooting to what he witnessed yesterday. Only, that was the least of my concerns. My whole body ached in protest as I fought to get up. In an instant, his large arms were around my waist, helping me sit up and lean against the cold wall. Sitting with all my weight on my back didn't help at all, in fact in hurt a lot but I didn't want to lay all the time either. 

My pains were momentarily forgotten when a warm hand brushed my cheek, and rested on the side of my face, melting my thoughts into a pile of happy mush. His calloused hands felt so familiar and comforting I couldn't help but collapse into them at the slightest touch. For just a second, I forgot where we were and why; there was a glimmer of something that wasn't dark and damp. All I could feel was his hand on my skin, the love pulsating from my body into his and I knew he'd do anything to protect me. 

His voice came out low, but warm, "Luce, we have to get out of here. The guards were talking about... Stuff that could be very bad. But I can't do anything unless I get this off." His hand pulled away from my face and went to his shirt, which he lifted and revealed that little metal belt that wrapped around his perfect abdomen. "If you could take a look at it, maybe you can get it off somehow. You get it off, we're free."