Chapter 13 ~ Danger, Plans Revealed

Natsu POV

     I knew she would never admit it, but she was upset. Very upset. With me, with our friends, with the world. Upset with me, because I had stolen her first kiss on accident. Upset with our friends for reacting so harshly. Upset with the world for simply placing her in the situation. So we walked along in the dark night, side by side. We had no idea where we were walking to, maybe our apartments or maybe just away from there. 

     I looked down at her petite frame. Her blond hair was rustling gently in the cold breeze, hitting my arm every once in a while. She gazed down, hiding her eyes behind her bangs, and was actively trying to ignore my presence, but I knew she had to be tired. It was three a.m. at this point and neither of us had gotten much sleep in the past week. I could tell by the bags under her eyes. I wonder what was keeping her up. Homework? Nightmares? Thoughts? 

     My head keeps me up. Thinking about how my life could change with one more wrong move. 

     "I'm not mad, ya know." Her small voice snapped me out of my thoughts. My head shifted to look at her. She was now looking up at me. "I was just shocked. I didn't believe that would be the first thing I was asked. Especially not by Levy."

     "Yeah... It's gonna take a while for them to get over this whole thing. I'll talk to them though. It was just an accident, we already decided that, didn't we?" I smiled down at her, hoping to turn her mood around. 

     It worked. She half-grinned back at me, "I guess we did. I just don't- Oh shit!" Suddenly, Luce was on the ground, clutching her head. "Oh my God! It hurts! Make it stop! Oh dear God!" She screamed obscenities into the night sky and curled into the fetal position. I did the only thing I could do. Picked her up and ran all the way home. 

     Tears streamed from her eyes onto my shirt as I ran, carrying the light blonde to my apartment. She wasn't screaming anymore, but muttering, "Make it stop, Natsu... Make it stop... My head... I can't... Natsu..." 

    Guilt began to well up inside me. I couldn't do anything without magic. I was useless. "Just hang on a little longer, Luce. We're almost there. I'll fix it. I promise." My legs were moving at inhuman speeds. I didn't know what was wrong, and I didn't know how to fix it. But I knew someone who might. 

     I made a quick right turn and started sprinting down a dirt road. A small wooden house was finally in sight. Gildarts would help. Right? 

     My legs were burning by the time I reached the door, but I had no time for formalities. I had to get to him and fast. I held Lucy with one arm and used the other elbow to crack a window, then jumped through, protecting her from the glass at my own expense. "Gildarts! Gildarts, I need you!" I glanced around the small living area and a grumpy Gildarts trudged out of the back room.

     "What the hell, Natsu? This is a dick move, even for you." He shot daggers at me with his eyes, but I didn't care. 

     Gently, I lay Lucy on the couch, gesturing to her. "She needs help. I don't know what's wrong with her. We were just walking and talking and sh-she started clutching her head and screaming in pain and... and can you help?" 

     My old man walked to my best friend, gazing at her. She was still muttering about her head, but she never opened her eyes. Her heart rate was dropping exponentially. Her breathing was beginning to stagger. "Luce! Lucy, c'mon wake up! Don't leave me... Don't leave me again..." I grabbed her hands but Gildarts pushed me back against the wall and yelled at me to shut my trap while he worked. I (shockingly) did as I was told. Lucy... Please be okay.