Chapter 17 ~ The Dark

Lucy POV

Darkness. That was all I could see. Either my eyelids were squeezed shut and not planning on opening or, this cold room was pitch black. I preferred the first. Unfortunately, I knew my eyes were open as I had just awoken from a forced unconscious state. The memories were still fresh in my mind. The way those guards seemed to come out of no where with friends. There was easily twenty of them suddenly, outnumbering Wendy and I and leaving no time for me to call on my spirits before I was handcuffed and knocked into sleep. The last thing I saw was Wendy being tied up and put on someone's shoulder.

I shivered at the thought then remembered Wendy needed me. Quietly, I stirred and sat up, trying to decide if the room I was in was small, or if I was in a cage in another room. My question was answered when a door creaked open, letting light rush into the room. I was in a small rusty cage inside of a moldy, concrete cell. Chains were hanging from the walls and a small metal bench sat in the corner, serving as what I assumed was a bed. I couldn't see Wendy anywhere near me, and that's when the real fear set in.

A man came into view. He wore a soldier's uniform with many decorations and held his chest high. His hat covered his eyes, but I could see black hair poking out from the sides, like spikes. Footsteps echoed in the hallway outside my cell as he approached my cell. I tried to back away, only to be stopped by the cage. Something about him screamed danger. I don't know what it was, but it was not something I wanted to find out.

He began to fiddle with his key and the door of my cell. "Who are you?" new found bravery took over my soul.

The man stopped for a second, chuckled and opened the door, now approaching my small cage, "Who am I?" His voice was deep and malicious, giving me chills. "I am someone who works here. I am also someone who was put in charge of the two new prisoners we just got in. You, and another little girl. She was so sweet, but feisty." He licked his lips, making his way slowly towards my enclosure, "Poor thing. We found out very quickly she was a slayer like your friend, Natsu. She didn't hold on for very long with my methods." He ripped open the cage door, grabbed me by my hair and yanked me up to his eye level. I screeched in pain and terror, but finally saw his eyes. Black. His eyes were completely black within the iris, and every so often, they flashed red. "But for you, I have different methods."

He threw me to the ground, then grabbed my hair again and began to pull me along the dirty floor out into the hall and down a long passageway past empty cells. The pain of my hair and the rough floor scraping every inch of my body was horrible, but I didn't dare make a sound. The less pain I showed, the more power I had over him.

We reached the end of the hall and a metal door stood between us and another room. He threw me down once again and unlocked the door. It unwillingly opened with a loud, ear splitting creak, and revealed hell. My eyes widened and I didn't even care he was dragging me by my blonde locks again as I looked around at all the different, dangerous contraptions. Some held very sharp objects, while others looked like something that would kill on impact. One in particular was a large bed with chains on each corner and each chain was attached to a wheel underneath. It was a torture device designed to stretch the life out of you.

Adrenaline began coursing through my veins when I heard a little girl's scream. "Wendy!" I yelled, hoping she could hear me. She was just a kid! How could they do this to her? "Let me go! You... You monster! And give me Wendy back, bastard!" I screamed at my hair puller.

Instantly, I regretted my words.

He laughed and threw me against a metal table. I grunted and fell to my knees. In a second, he had me on the table though and was strapping my wrists above my head and my feet to the bottom of the table, about shoulder width apart. "You will regret saying anything to me. Especially insults. I was hired to extract information or simply torture. They hired me because of my success rate. I know the human mind. I can and will get anything I want out of you. And if I don't want anything, I just wanna have some fun. And my dear," he leaned down to my ear, "I don't need anything from you."