Chapter 38 - Not Goodbye; See Ya Later

Lucy POV

I wasn't strong enough for this. Staring into his eyes, I felt calm; I could accomplish anything if he was by my side.

Nothing had ever made me feel this way. Not when I started studying magic, not when Makarov showed up at my house, not when I saved everyone by learning a new skill at the last minute. I only felt sure when I was beside him.

Tears started to well in my eyes, but I couldn't cry. I had to stay strong. He was the scared one; the one heading into danger and unknown. So why was I crying?

"So what do I tell all the girls who swoon over me? I have a girlfriend? Fiancèe?" he was trying to hide the break in his voice.

I giggled, "You have a Luce."

He gave a slick smile, "No, I have a fiancèe."

Natsu POV

Her mouth dropped as I got down on one knee and pulled out the ring I had bought with Gray earlier today.

I couldn't stand the idea of leaving her without being claimed by me, and since I couldn't claim her the dragon way, I'd have to settle for the human way. 

"Lucy, I hope you know that there are things right now I can't explain, but you are someone very special to me. I haven't stopped thinking about you since you left that day on the playground. When I saw you in class, I have never been so excited. You changed my life. So tell me, will you have a wedding planned for us when I get back?" 

I couldn't believe that was my voice that just came out. The words flowed so effortlessly, I knew exactly what to say. 

Tears were streaming down her face as she nodded. A grin overtook my own face as I put the ring on her left ring finger. She wrapped her arms around my neck and I happily squeezed back, twirling her around in my arms. Laughter erupted from both of our mouths and the urge to kiss was overwhelming. 

Clapping from our friends brought us back and I gently set her down, still smiling. Fairy Tail rushed over, still crying, laughing, celebrating. Levy grabbed Lucy's hand and inspected the ring, "Oh my Mavis, Lucy this is beautiful!"

And that it was. There was a ruby sitting in the center, with a diamond band wrapping around her finger. It sparkled under the ceiling lights of the transportation center. I thought a lot about what kind of ring to get her, and I decided on ruby to remind her of my fire. Diamonds represented the purity she showed when she risked her life to all of us.

She doesn't want to know how much it cost me. 

The intercom beeped, then a female voice, "Train 243 to Crocus is finishing boarding. Please gather your party and head to the boarding area."

Lucy POV

I stopped admiring the ring and looked up at the boy with the tear-stained face. He was doing this all for me. Because I pushed him to do this. 

"Guess my first impression on General Arcadios shouldn't be missing my train," he gave a weak smile and picked up his duffel bag.

Nothing could've prepared me for how hard this would be. But I had to be strong. He was the scared one; his whole life was about to be completely different. 

"Natsu..." my voice came out strained and I threw my arms around him. 

"Lucy," he whispered. 

"I know you'll do amazing. I believe in you. Everyone here does. Don't forget that," I choked out. 

His lips curled up against my cheek, "I won't."

We released and behind me, Master was holding up his hand, back of his hand facing out, his index and thumb in an L shape. Our signal. Fairy Tail's signal. 

"You'll always have a place here," Master cried, "For Fairy Tail! It's never goodbye, but see you later!"

Gildarts put up his hand next, "For Fairy Tail!"

Suddenly, our whole group had their hands in the sky, "For Fairy Tail!"

For the first time in a long time, Natsu gave his signature grin, "I'm all fired up!"

The train whistle blew and Natsu took off toward the train that was now threatening to take off. But as he was entering he turned back, waved, and screamed, "See you later!"

My stomach sunk. I forgot to tell him something. "Natsu!" I screamed so loud my throat hurt. 

He turned back. 

"Don't let them cut your hair!" I yelled. 

I could see his laugher and he gave me a thumbs up. 

He would be okay, right? 

I watched with blurry vision as he got on the train right as it started to pull off. His face appeared in one of the windows and he started to wave, a big grin on his face. 

Everyone waved back, putting on smiles as well until the train was long gone. 

This wasn't goodbye, just see you later... Right?

_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~_~

Finally over!

Look for book two coming out soon. 

*I don't own Fairy Tail

~MelodyElaine