Chapter 27 ~ A New Motive

Natsu POV

"Lucy!" I screamed, sitting straight up in a bed that wasn't my own.

"Jesus Christ, Pyro. Dial it down a notch would you?" Gray whined, stirring on a small couch in a stale room. Vague beeping came from my bedside and I looked down to find my arm and body covered in tubes and wires.

Gildarts got up from his wooden chair right beside my bed and embraced me, "Good to have you back again, kid."

I pushed him away but locked eyes with him, communicating my own message. He knew what I was asking, but I said it anyway, "Where's Lucy?"

He sighed and looked away from me. I got up on my knees, pain stabbing through my body, pulling on the IV that was attached to my wrist. "Gildarts... Where's Luce?"

Gray sighed from the side of the room and spoke in a soft whisper, "They haven't found her yet... I'm about to head back over there and take Lyon's place reinforcing the walls your girlfriend took out to save you."

My heart was crushed. In not even a second, my world had gone tumbling down a cliff; it smacked the ground below with an earthly thud but there was nothing earthly about the news I had just been given. My mind was a little camper and a tornado had just come and whisked it away with no remorse. Nothing mattered to me anymore. 

I ripped the IV, monitors and plugs off of me, throwing them off the bed and sending the machines into a fit of panic and screeching. 

"Natsu, what the hell are you doing? You're not healed yet! It's only been a couple of days! You lost all your magic power. Get your ass back in bed!" Gildarts screamed at me, but I could hardly comprehend the words that were coming from his mouth. 

A heat was growing in my belly, and even though it was a gentle heat, I could feel it pulsating and radiating to find the one I wished to call mine. 

"We can handle this, fire brain. Get back in bed. We'll find her," Gray stated without moving a muscle.

The fire was getting larger by the second, and more so as I put one foot on the floor. Cold seeped from the floor into my toes, electric currents pulsed pain into my legs, but that didn't stop me.

"Jesus Christ, kid. You're not doing this again." I looked over at the orange haired man, only to be cut off when his fist met my face and darkness consumed me yet again.

Gray POV

I stared, wide eyed as Gildarts pushed Natsu back into bed and called a nurse to put all his gear back on. "Gildarts, was that necessary?"

The man with orange hair shrugged, "I dunno. He wasn't listening, was he?"

A slow nod from my head was all the approval Gildarts needed so he simply went back to napping on his chair. 

I gave a hushed sigh. Like foster father, like son, I guess.

A quiet hum fell over the room, allowing me to relax for a brief second knowing Lyon could hold up the walls until I had my strength back. After the first enforcement, Juvia and I were trying to make a schedule and he popped up, volunteering to be my double and help out as much as he could as long as he could be around Juvia.

Not like I gave a shit.

Now we had been had it for almost three days. Or something like that.

My own eyelids were closing a bit when my phone went off, pulling me from an almost relaxing nap. But I picked up without hesitation. "Oi, Juvia, what's up?"