Chapter 14: We're going to the beach

(Back to the current time)

Ryaka's POV

Seigaku Tennis Courts

"Ohayo!" Ryaka greeted as she and Ryoma approached the courts.

"Ohayo Ryaka-san!" Kawamura and Oishi greeted her back. The members are busy preparing the courts for today's set of matches and the other regulars are already warming up.

"Oh Inui-san! May I talk with you for a second?" Ryaka approached Inui who's preparing some purple liquid.

"Ryaka-san, why? Do you want to sample my newest Inui juice?" Inui held out a small glass. Ryoma grimaced and before he can protest a hand suddenly grabbed the glass from Inui and set it down the table he's working on.

"Ryaka-san, its best not to try that." Fuji said. He glanced back at the glass and remembered the time when it knocked him out. He turned his attention back to Ryaka and smiled.

Ryaka and Ryoma let out a sigh of relief. 'Arigato' Ryaka mouthed to Fuji.

"So Inui-san, would you lend me a hand in evaluating the regulars? You know them better than I do and I need help in their emotional evaluation so I can produce the perfect program for each of them." Ryaka said.

"Sure, I'll help you out." Inui said while browsing through the pages of his notebook.

Ryoma and Fuji went to the courts to start warming up as well.

They spent the whole day holding matches and same as the day before, Ryaka gave them the evaluations right after each match. She also handed out the programs she made for the members who played yesterday.

-------

The week went by pretty fast. They finished all the matches and Ryaka already has created the individual programs as well as programs that can be done in groups. The members started to work on them and significant changes can already be seen. Even the first years made drastic improvements.

------

At Coach Ryuzaki's office.

"It seems everything is working out pretty well for them." Coach Ryuzaki said. The coach, Tezuka, Oishi and herself are having a meeting.

"Thank you for your help Ryaka-san." Oishi said.

"You're welcome and thank you for your cooperation as well." Ryaka answered.

Tezuka is holding a paper with the list of the members' names on it.

"The seniors are about to graduate and the only regulars that will be left are Kaidoh, Momoshiro and Echizen." Coach Ryuzaki said thoughtfully.

"Don't worry about that Coach, I see great potential on the other members as well. Even the first years look promising. I agree that the set of regulars Seigaku currently has right now is all-star but I'm confident on their successors. They just need a little more training." Ryaka winked at Tezuka who looked away and stared at the papers he's holding.

"What do you have in mind during this summer break Ryaka?" Coach Ryuzaki asked her.

"The program I gave them will last for another couple of weeks by then, we should see how much they have improved and I will create another set of programs based on the target skills for each." Oishi nodded at her statement.

"Tezuka, Oishi have you already decided on who you will appoint as the Captain and Vice-captain?" The coach turned to the two men.

"We're still looking into it." Tezuka answered.

"Kaidoh and Momoshiro still needs to learn how to work well with each other. They are really good tennis players but being leaders takes more than that." Oishi added.

"Hmmm. Okay let me know when you already have your decision." said Coach Ryuzaki.

"By the way, do you want to go to the beach this weekend?" Ryaka suddenly asked.

"The beach?" Oishi turned to look at her.

"Yup! We have a beach house which we can use. That is, if you want to come." She offered.

"That will be a good opportunity for everyone to relax after the hard work at practices. You should all go." Coach Ryuzaki said.

"Aren't you coming Coach?" Ryaka asked her.

"I'd want to but I have some business to attend to."

"Aw that's too bad but if your plan changes, do come okay?" She gave her a hug.

"Alright! Shall we tell everyone then?" Oishi excitedly said.

"Hai!" Ryaka and Oishi went to tell the others.

------

Tezuka's POV

"Tezuka, you should go with them. Have some fun." The coach told him.

"I will coach. I will look after them in your absence." he said.

"Tezuka, you don't always have to worry about them that much. They may be like that but they can handle themselves. Enjoy your time with everyone okay?" Coach Ryuzaki smiled at him.

He stood up and went by the window side. He looked down and saw the excited chattering. He saw Ryaka's eyes are brightly lit with happiness and he can't explain the feeling she gives him.

"She's quite a breath of fresh air isn't she?" The coach joined him on the window side. She caught him staring at Ryaka.

"Oh-- well, she is indeed. I'm going." Tezuka moved away from the window, grabbed the papers and headed out.

-----

"Yay~! Really? We're going to the beach??" Eiji jumped up and down.

"Alright! We can play beach volleyball again! Hey Echizen, team up with me okay?" Momo said to Ryoma.

Everyone was excited about the news. The last time they went to the beach, they lost their hotel coupons and had to help out on a restaurant which didn't end well.

Ryaka turned to the group of Sakuno, Tomoka, Katsuo, Horio and Kachiro. "You guys are invited as well." She smiled at them.