Chapter 33: The good news

Ryaka's POV

She woke up with a slight headache. 'Mmmmm.' She looked at her side and saw the rays of sunshine coming in through the window. 'Early morning?' she thought. She glanced around the room as well. 'Oh, I'm in the hospital. Right, I remember collapsing after the match.'

Instinctively, she looked over to her left... no one is there. 'Why did I think that he's there?'

After the headache had passed, she propped herself up to sit properly and did a check on herself. 'Hmmm. Nothing seems to be wrong, my muscles are a bit swollen maybe because I was too rash and didn't warm myself up properly.'

--

The door to her room opened. She quickly turned her head towards it and waited for the person entering.

"Rye-chan, how are you feeling?" It was Dr. Hibayashi and a nurse.

She didn't know why she was a bit disappointed. 'Were you expecting someone else Ryaka?' She thought to herself.

"Imuto Oji-san, I'm feeling okay." She replied with a smile.

"I heard why you collapsed. Luckily, Fuji-kun caught you again the second time you fell. You could have hit your head. Do you remember the incident Rye-chan?" The doctor asked while the nurse is writing down notes on her clipboard.

"Hmmmm I do. I was about to take a skip but I fell off balanced, my world spun and then when Shusuke-kun helped me get up, I felt nauseous and that's all I can remember." She said as she recalled the incident.

"I think it was because I didn't warm up properly and the sudden physical activity must've shocked my muscles and strained them. My body isn't used to that kind of physical activity anymore." She added.

"As expected of my niece." Dr. Hibayashi let out a laugh. "You're right about all those but there's more Rye-chan." He smiled at her.

"Is it good news?" She asked.

"It is but we have to wait for Rinko-san, she went down to buy some food." Her uncle said.

As if on cue, the door to her room opened and her mother came in with Nanako.

"Rye-chan! You're up already!" Nanako said with delight.

"We were so worried about you. How are you feeling?" Her mother asked.

"I'm okay now okaa-san, I'm sorry to worry everyone." She said as her mom hugged her.

"Alright oji-san, can you tell us the good news now?" She turned to her uncle.

"We're not complete yet." Dr. Hibayashi said.

"Huh? Are we expecting someone else?" Ryaka asked confused.

She heard the door open the third time and Tezuka came in carrying food. She felt happiness washed over her. She quickly wiped a tear that was about to fall.

"Was I late?" Tezuka asked.

"No, you're just in time Tezuka-kun." Dr. Hibayashi smiled at him.

Tezuka stood to the other side of her bed.

"Kuni-kun, you came." She smiled at him.

"He never left Rye-chan, Tezuka-kun was here all night even when we came early this morning he was still here. We all had breakfast downstairs. We had to drag him just so he'd eat you know." Nanako winked at her.

She felt her cheeks blush.

"Arigato Kuni-kun." She reached for his hand and gave it a squeeze.

"Ahem." Dr. Hibayashi coughed to get our attention. "Since everyone is here, I think its time for me to deliver the good news." He smiled. "Rye-chan... you're fully healed! Your heart is as good as new."

"W-what? What do you mean Imuto Oji-san?" It wasn't sinking in to her yet.

"I mean, you can now participate in physical activities again without worries! It has been a luck in disguise that you collapsed yesterday, because of it, we were able to make another thorough check on your heart and body response to playing a match. We've confirmed that your heart is now on its best condition. But be careful okay? Start with simple exercises until you get the hang of it. Don't engage in strenuous activities yet. You can play tennis too but take it slow." Dr. Imuto Hibayashi explained.

"I-is this real? I'm well? After all these years? Is this really happening?" She can't believe it and she started crying. She felt a light squeeze on her hand and realize she was still holding Tezuka's hand. He smiled at her before letting it go when Nanako and Rinko hugged her.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you Oji-san!" Imuto went to hug her as well.

"Congratulations Rye-chan!" Rinko and Nanako are wiping their tears and even the nurse was moved.

"Now, you need to stay here at the hospital for another couple of days so we can finish administering your last batch of medicines okay?" Dr. Hibayashi said.

--

After a few moments more of celebrating what she considered her new life, her uncle and the nurse excused themselves to attend to other patients.

--

"Okaa-san, we have to call them to let them know!" She said referring to her father and brothers. "Wait... uhm, did you tell them about me being hospitalized?"

"I don't want to get ahead of you Rye-chan, I was waiting for you to wake up to ask you. I didn't call them yet." Rinko said.

"Thank you for considering my feelings okaa-san." She smiled at her.

She dialed Ryoga's number and told them the good news. She heard their shouts of joy and shaky voices after. They wanted to come back to Japan to celebrate with her but she laughed and told them they can celebrate all they want together after they win.

~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~o~