Chapter 32: At the hospital

Fuji's POV

Tezuka is pacing around the hallway of the hospital. He can't stay seated and he can't focus on any conversation. He keeps looking at Ryaka's door waiting for the doctor to come out.

He has never seen Tezuka as distraught as this. He was always calm, focused and collected. When Tezuka is faced with anything, he handles it with levelheadedness.

"Tezuka." Fuji placed his hand on Tezuka's shoulder.

Tezuka turned to him.

"Let's sit down for a while okay? The doctor will be coming out soon." He said to him.

Tezuka finally gave in and sat beside him in the waiting area.

The others are there as well: An Tachibana, Kamio, Momoshiro, and Yuuta. Mizuki got a call from one of St. Rudolph's players and asked Yuuta to call him about Ryaka.

An was crying and Kamio is comforting her. An was blaming herself with Ryaka's condition at the moment.

Tezuka was also blaming himself. He said that if he hadn't left them alone then Ryaka wouldn't play and this could have all been avoided.

Momo is currently calling Coach Ryuzaki to tell her about what happened and have her call Ryaka's family. He also called Inui to inform the Seigaku members.

Fuji is also worried and panicking inside but seeing the situation at the moment, he had to collect himself and give support to Tezuka. They all have relied on Tezuka for support as their Captain but at the moment, he's the one who needs support.

--

Coach Ryuzaki came with Rinko Echizen and Nanako-san.

Tezuka was still fazed so he stood up and greeted them.

"What happened to Rye-chan???" Rinko Echizen was in tears. Nanako is holding her for support.

"Fuji, what happened?" Coach Ryuzaki asked him.

He explained what happened in a summarized form, he intentionally skipped about the opponents berating Ryaka and An to avoid further problems. But he intend to tell Coach Ryuzaki everything in private.

--

"R-rinko-san, I'm sorry its my fault. I should've looked after her more diligently. I'm really sorry." Tezuka stood up and apologized to Rinko.

"Tezuka-kun, its not your fault. I know my daughter, she has inherited her father's stubbornness. No one wanted this to happen." Rinko gave Tezuka a pat on the shoulder.

"But auntie, its only a one set match and according to Shusuke-kun, it only lasted 28 minutes. Rye-chan should've been okay." Nanako said.