Chapter 61: I love you

Tezuka's POV

I ran after her; when I couldn't get to the elevator, I ran down the stairs. I chased after her out on the streets but I didn't see her anywhere. Was it just my imagination? Was it because I just woke up and things happened so fast? No. It was definitely her. Ryaka was right there, in Germany, in my apartment, in my room and she... she saw us. I swear it wasn't anything like she could be thinking at that moment. But I know it wouldn't be easy to make her believe me. But I have to tell her the truth.

I tried to call her several times. I ran everywhere I think she might have gone. The tennis courts, the restaurant, the parks, the hotel and that spot on the hill. But she was not in any of those places. I tried calling her but after a few attempts her phone became unavailable. I called someone I know that works in the airport and sure enough, my thoughts had been confirmed. She was already out of the country.

I went back to my unit to get my passport and go after her. Hannah was still there. A surge of emotions flooded through my being and it took me everything not to lash out on the distraught looking woman. Hannah may have caused all of this but she was a good friend, to both Ryaka and myself. I told her to leave as calmly as I can.

I grabbed my passport and was ready to go when my cellphone rang. I didn't want to answer but it was my coach. Even with the current situation that I have on my hands, I can't just ignore this person. I answered and he was calling to remind me of the responsibilities that I had to take care of during the whole week. I was stunned. I had just won the championship and with it comes all of the things that my coach had reminded me about.

I slumped into a chair. Ryaka is a very important person for me and with what happened, I can not just leave it as it is. I have to talk to her with whatever means possible. But on the other hand, I have a duty that I had to fulfill here. I had signed a contract and I can not turn my back on it. Being in this world for years, the principle of not letting your personal life affect your career responsibilities had been etched firmly in my system.

I didn't get any sleep that night. I was still thinking about what happened that morning when I woke up and Hannah was there, confessing and kissing me and Ryaka appearing on the doorway, witnessing it. I calculated the time that she would be back to the US and gambled to check on her by calling Ryoma Echizen. Ryoma had informed me that Ryaka had indeed come back home and had made it clear to them that she does not wish to talk to anyone. It may not be like me but I at least had to do something. I sent her letters, and I called their place many times. But she wouldn't hear any of it nor would she read my letters.

Eventually, I had decided to give her time. It is not giving up, but I would not force it upon her right now. I instead focused on tennis and worked even harder to get better. Not a day had gone by that I didn't think of the Echizen girl. I continually ask about her through Fuji and Kikumaru. When I heard that she's planning to go back to Japan, I know that I had to see her. I have waited for years and she is still the only woman in my heart.

I talked to everyone, I went to the US to talk to her family. Nanjiroh Echizen, Ryoma Echizen and especially, Ryoga Echizen. Ryoga even gave me a punch on the face. Which I know wasn't even enough for the pain I had caused his sister. I also talked to my old team at Seigaku, to ask for their help and now here we are... After years of waiting, I can finally see her again.

Ryoga came to talk to me again this afternoon. He was the one who had been taking care of Ryaka ever since they were kids and he had given me his approval but he also had warned me never to hurt his sister again. I reassured the older Echizen brother that I will take care of Ryaka and I will always be by her side from here on out. I had also assured him that I will respect Ryaka's decision, in case she decides that I really am not welcomed in her life anymore.