XXX.

"So guys." I look around our usual table in the canteen as we all sit down to have lunch. "How was your holiday?"

"No, we haven't missed you." Jack says in an ironic voice chuckling and giving Jude a weird look.

"Bollocks." Sue smacks his shoulder. "Of course we have."

Jude sitting next to me coughs lightly. "Not that they remember missing anybody or anything after all the parties." He says in a low, raspy voice, not turning to me. After a few seconds of silence reigning our table I look at him.

Wait, is Jude blushing?

"We were at this amazeballs NYE party with Jack's mates and Alex!" Mia chirps.

"Were you?" I raise my eyebrows. I don't remember Alex mentioning it... As a matter of fact, he particularly said he hasn't seen any of my friends for the whole time of the Christmas break.

Sod it, maybe he just forgot about them. Hasn't noticed them. Anything.

"Uhmmm yeah?"

Jude nods reluctantly as if he was already regretting mentioning any party.

"How about you?" Bree tries to change the subject which makes me suspect there might be something in this after all.

"I went to a party with some of friends back home." I smile. "It was fine, too."

"What a party girl we have here." Jack teases again. "Was it our Yorkshire spirit what changed your view on parties?"

"Changed my view from...?"

"From hating the mere mention of a fête."

"A fête?" I giggle.

"Some people partied the whole time off, some revised French." Jack says proudly. "The latter being myself." He adds in case we didn't get it at first.

"I still don't get why you take French at all, mind me." His tone slightly irritated, Jude mumbles, not raising his gaze from oh-so-interesting juice bottle he has been examining since we sat down.

"It's hot, apparently." Jack says carelessly.

"If you think so." Jude answers under his breath in an absentminded manner. The topic is dropped and I wait for everybody to get busy otherwise, either eating or talking to their neighbours. When I see that's what they are all doing, I shift myself a bit closer to Jude who is as usually sitting on my right.

"How are you?" I ask trying to sound as concerned as I am.

He jerks and looks at me for a second, seeming surprised to find me sitting next to him. Turning back to the bottle of juice he almost whispers.

"Me? Yeah fine." What sort of answer is this? Not a very convincing one for sure.

"Really?"

"Sure why not."

I think about what next to say when he jerks again and stands up swiftly.

"I'm... I'm going. See you." And he's gone.

Before I figure out how to ask the rest if something happened while I was gone, or rather - what has happened, I feel a pair of hands on my shoulders. As I turn my head around I meet a familiar face just a few inches from mine.

"Alex!"

"Hey lovely." His husky voice sounds hotter than I remember. He moves to the spot at the table abandoned by Jude a few moments ago, but he sits to face the rest of the room instead of the table.