VII.

First thing I do as I get home at four o’clock is ask Adam about the party.

“No, hun, I won’t let you. And I think Nina would say the same.” She’s still not home. “I don’t wanna be rough on you, but it’s just been your first week, you don’t know anybody well and you don’t know what to expect, whether you can rely on the guys…” He has his worried expression on.

I am not disappointed, though. I am not a party person and I am not yearning to change it just now.

“I get it. I’ll be in my room.” I smile at Adam who now gives me his puzzled look.

I call Bree at the moment I get in my room. She sounds pretty disappointed, but I guess that is only because she hoped I’ll introduce her to Alex. Next time? Hell no.

I have no idea what to do with my life now that it’s Friday so I just go back to the living room and turn on the TV. Adam and Olly sit next to me. However, they don’t seem very pleased with what I want to watch – the BBC News. I do find it vastly interesting.

“I wanna watch cartoons dad.” Olly moans. I try to look like I didn’t hear. Hopefully Adam isn’t gonna tell me off for this behaviour.

“Ehm, Olly, there aren’t any good at the moment. Just watch the news with us.”

“But daaaaad.” He really does want to watch his cartoons. Damn.

I hear a silent knock on the house door. Not my business.

“Elena? Would you mind watching cartoons?” Adam has that worried face on again.

Knock knock.

“Wait kids I am gonna get it.” Adam knows Olly wouldn’t go if he asked him right now – he is too busy thinking about how much he wants to watch the cartoons, and I am not THAT at home here to open the door.

“So Olly what’s the channel?” I decide that cartoons will keep me entertained as well as the news for now.

“Yaaaaaaaaay.”

“What’s it called, Olly?” I laugh.

“Elena? There is a friend of yours…” Adam yells from the front door. I hear him mutter and he raises his voice again. “Jude?”

What is he doing here? I give the remote to Olly as I am raising from a small red sofa. The front door is at the end of a narrow corridor so I can see the two of them the moment I peer out of the living room. They are both looking my direction. I get into corridor awkwardly. It’s just Jude, gosh.

Adam is enjoying himself though. “I’ll ehm…” He smirks. “Leave you to your business, kids.” And he saunters away as slowly as possible. I swear he is more of a teenage boy than an adult.

“Hey Jude.” I almost continue with “Whaddup Beatles reference” but I better keep my mouth shut. I still find it very funny though. I am brilliant.

Back to Jude.

“Hiya. Ready?”

COME ON, Bree, you haven’t told him have you? It’s your friend as well, don’t you guys communicate?

“Not coming, if you’re talking about the party.”

Disappointed puppy face on, Jude whines. “Come on!” Now he sounds a bit angrier than one would expect. He just swapped from a 4-year-old boys who wants his candy into a 40-year-old teacher that scolds everyone.

“Sorry? Adam won’t let me.” I don’t feel sorry.

“Is he gonna keep you inside for the rest of your life?”

Ew, overreacting.

I am only staying for a year, in fact, so that is most certainly not going to happen.