XIII.

Gahhhhh, what the…? Why do I feel like a piece of shit? My head is gonna explode…

I love Fridays but it looks like this one is going to suck. I feel like as if I had no energy left even though I only just woke up.

Nina comes into my room after a few minutes, opening the door gently.

“Elen? I am sorry I have to break the news to you but you should get up if you want to… be on time - what is it?”

“Ugh.” I moan without moving a single inch.

“Do you feel bad?”

“Kinda.”

“Aw honey.” She says as she places her hand on my forehead. “You’re on fire!”

“Am I?”

“Yeah?” She looks desperate. “Does anything hurt Elen? Shall we go see a doctor? Wait I ask Adam.”

“No no fuss…” I blabber but she can’t hear me because she is out of the room already. She comes back with Adam after a minute.

“How is the kiddo?” Adam sits on the corner of my bed. Normally I would tell them off for caring so much, but I am feeling so bad I want them to care, I want them to help me. Every single word they utter is like they kicked my head repeatedly, it hurts so much.

“Bad.” I can’t say anything more.

“Ummm…” Adam bites his lip and looks at Nina. “She should skip the school today and we’ll see tomorrow? If she still feels like crap we will go see a doctor.” He turns back to me. “Deal, kiddo?”

“Uh-hm.” I hum and black out instantly.

When I wake up after what seems like a year, I try to reach for my phone to find out what time it is. My curtains are closed, probably Nina’s considerate doing, so I don’t know what outside looks like nor if it isn’t night already.

02:17pm. Alright.

I try to sit. My mouth feels like a desert. Why do I feel hangover without getting drunk? Damn unfair.

Not that I know what a hangover feels like.

I try to stand up and almost fall, I am that weak, but I don’t give up and keep trying until I manage to get to the door and open it. I make my way downstairs and collapse onto sofa with Adam’s concerned look on myself.

“The kid was here. Jude. I told him you’re sick and he asked me to tell you he’ll come see you after school.”

“Oh.”

“I don’t have to let him if you don’t want to… you know…”

“No, it’s alright. Jude’s a friend, I guess.”

“Good.” He looks on big white paper with his today’s work on it and then raises his eyes back to me as if he remembered something. “I made some pancakes and I can make you a cuppa tea, what do you say?”

“Tea sounds awesome but I am not sure I am able to eat… I feel like I was having an instant rollercoaster ride or something…”

“Alright… No milk, lemon then.”

“Yes please.” I take the remote and turn the TV on. Some cartoon channel is on as usually. I decide to watch it because a commercial says Phineas & Ferb are going to be on next. I used to love them a few years back. I remember waking up early every day even during our summer break to watch the cartoon on Disney Channel.

I fall asleep after a few minutes though, to be woken up by the whistle of a kettle. Adam brings me my tea with an amused look on his face.

“Another Phineas & Ferb fan in the house?”