I.

New place. New people.
I was voluntarily thrown into a whole different world this week. And I am to stay here for next ten months.
I remember my excitement six months ago when I found a huge, thick envelope in our mailbox. I opened it eagerly but I paid attention not to do any harm to it - it held my future after all.
I opened the file and the first thing I saw was the big sentence printed in bold, saying "You have been selected."

I got a scholarship for international students and I was going to study in England for one whole school year. I had no idea what part of country was going to be my temporary home, but I didn't really care at the moment.

Now to the the presnet time.

I am sitting in the headmaster's office. I am hypnotizing the sign on her table which says Mrs Kyle. Hannah, the young woman who will take care of everything related to school while I am here, left me alone in the office about five minutes ago. She said she will look for Mrs Kyle and come back with her.

"The new exchange student, isn't it? Welcome to our school." A tall, good looking woman entering the room is the person who is welcoming me here. Mrs Kyle, I guess.

"Hello, Mrs Kyle." I say.

"Well well, how do you like our country so far, young lady?" her Yorkshire accent is quite a puzzle for me.

"Very well, thank you." I had that answer prepared, obviously.

"I do hope you will get used to our school system with no problems. If there will be any, just let me or any of your teachers know." She is at her table now and she is taking a look into some papers.
"I see you are going to do geography, history, English and French. Is that right?"

"Yes." I nod instantly.

"Here is the list of clubs that are on our school. Would be lovely to have you in one of these. Have a look, will you?"

"Of course, Mrs Kyle."

"Well, in case you have no questions, you can go to your class now. Hannah? Will you escort the young lady to the class 127? Hm..." She looks into the papers again. "Elena. Your first class is going to be English. With Mr Smith. Everything alright, are you ready?" Not waiting for my response, she leads me to the door.
Hannah looks at me curiously. I nod once again. I am okay, really - more or less. The sooner we'll go, the sooner it'll be over, right?

We walk down the school corridors. Everything is more or silent, we can only hear teachers' voices. It's the first day of school so the students remain calm. They still do not get what awaits them.

"That's it, Elen, you OK?" Hannah asks.

"Let's do this." I try not to sound nervous. Hannah knocks on the door and opens it not waiting for a response.

"Hello, Mr Smith. This is the new student we talked about..." Mr Smith is a funny looking ginger, about forty years old. He comes to us and gives me a pat me on a shoulder.

"Nice. Very nice. Welcome..."

"Elena, my name's Elena."

"Nice... Guys, say hi to Elena." Uneven "Hi" results his appeal. There are about twenty students in the room. Some of them sit at tables in couples, some alone. Mr Smith shows me an empty table at the back of the class with two vacant places.

"You can seat yourself there, for now." I do not look at the students. Eye contact would be so awkward at a situation like this.

Although I am terribly nervous about what might come after this class, the time just flows. I am vastly impressed by Mr Smith's talking, the topic he talks about and, of course, his accent.

I talked with only a few native speakers before as I am not from an English speaking country. They were either Americans - which are the easiest for me to understand - or talking in perfect cockney accent. This Yorkshire - or should I say Sheffield? - accent is quite a new thing for me. It sounds awesome. But different.

The bell rings, the class ends. I am a bit confused and I need to check my timetable to find out where to go next. Everybody else got up already, but I am still sitting. Mr Smith comes to me with a big, friendly smile on his face.

"Elena, there is a thing you missed because you got here a bit later than the rest of the class... I gave them a list of compulsory reading for this year. Have no spare to give ya, but your classmate, Turner, has a spare copy - I gave it to him, just in case. Will you maybe manage to get to him, tell 'im I sent ya? He'll give you a copy, alright?"

"Alright, Mr Smith. Thanks."

"See you later, Elena... See you later, girls." He addressed the goodbye to a girl who is coming my way.

"Ey up! What d'you got next?" She says.

"Eh... Hi? History, I guess." I answer a bit confused. I notice there is another girl, standing behind the one I talk to.

"We have history, too! Come with us? This is Mia and I'm Sue. Elen, right?"

"Yeah right." Looks like I am not going to get lost just yet. Brialliant.