XII.

It’s the next day, lunchtime. We are all silently eating our sandwiches seated around one of the red round tables in the cafeteria as usually. I am a bit frustrated though. Today hasn’t looked like I imagined. We got the results from our essays and I got a B-. The truth is I didn’t expect better, I am not THAT good in English, but it still made me disappointed after Mr Smith handed me the paper saying “Great job, Elena. Nice one it was!”  I spent half of the weekend on this one essay.

I hear a silent cough behind my shoulder. Jude sitting to my right turns to see who came, I can’t because I am having the biggest bite of my tuna sandwich you can imagine.

“Hey Alex!” says Jude and the rest of our table follows. I chew as fast as possible so I can turn around and say hi as well.

“Hey um…” I guess Alex came to talk to Bree or something and it is awkward for him to do so now that we are all listening. I swallow at last and turn around to see Alex standing right next to my left and Bree’s right shoulder.

“Hullo.” I smile and turn back to have a sip from my juice.

“Um… Elen can we talk?” Alex starts.

I almost choke on my orange juice, but I am not half as surprised as the rest of the table. I can hear Bree’s silent gasp and I turn back to Alex. I guess I might have forgotten to mention I met Alex yesterday.

He is staring straight at me, his hands in the pockets of his jeans and his fringe lightly falling into his eyes so he has to shake his head from time to time. He is so close I hit him with my shoulder this time.

“Yeah course.” I clumsily stand up placing my bag on my chair. “I’ll be right back.” I tell Jude who is more amused than surprised by now.

Alex starts walking without checking if I follow. His pace is real quick so I start having trouble following him. We walk outside the cafeteria and as we get to the hallway he opens a door that leads outside the school building. He waits for me to walk through and then closes the door. It looks like we are where he wanted us to be. It’s totally silent outside unlike what it is like in the cafeteria and light drizzle is starting to soak my messy hair.

Alex comes to me and smiles for the first time since he came to our table in cafeteria.

“Alright?”

“Yeah I guess… What’s happened?” I ask.

“Nowt.” His smile turns into a cheeky smirk. I give him a puzzled look.

“Why do you think something happened?”

“For starters we had to come here for a reason.” I answer.

“Yeah right, I wanted to get away from there so I thought you may want to as well… Your table looked a bit dull from my perspective.”

“I didn’t mind.”

His smirk fades. “Well hope you don’t mind sticking here with me for a sec?”  

“It’s alright… So…” We should talk or something. “How’s your day been?”

“Alright.” He blurts and leans on the wall and takes his eyes off me. He doesn’t look like he wants to talk which is a big change to what I saw of him so far. I don’t want to look confused as I am so I lean on the wall next to him.  We are silent for a minute and it’s me again who breaks the silence.

“Do you come here often then?”

“When I need to, yes.”

“Nice hideaway, this.”

“Yup it is.”

“I had something like this with my friends back home. But inside the school because all the doors were locked… You meet up here am I right?”

“Nope.”

“No?”

“With whom would I?”

“Your mates?”

“No this is mine. They don’t have time.”

“They don’t and you do?”

“Well they don’t even know I come here.”

“Oh.” I thought this place is something everybody use from time to time… For a smoking break if not for anything else. Now I notice there are no cigarettes on the ground so obviously that theory cannot be right.

Another minute flows and we are silent again. My mind is busy so I don’t even notice.

“I thought you’ll maybe want to get away from time to time. When you are fed up with everything inside.”

Oh man, this guy knows me better than I know myself.

“That’s very nice of you.” I look at Alex and turn away after a nanosecond because I notice he is blushing. What the…?  

Alex coughs. “Actually I have something to discuss.”

Alright, I am ready. Does he have some problems at home? With his band? With his friends? Maybe he does not know how to tell Bree he likes her… My mind goes crazy, this boy takes his time indeed.

“I am listening.” I smile for myself.

“The guitar lessons.” THE GUITAR LESSONS? Really, Al?

“Oh?”

“When do you have time so we can continue?”

“Uhm, anytime I guess.” I look back at him. “But you know we don’t need to do it, Nina is gonna teach me.”

“Oh naturally.”

I don’t want to end it here, he may take it personally. “I don’t wanna take of your free time you know… You have a job and stuff…” Tous Les Mêmes by Stromae starts playing from my back pocket. Somebody is calling me. I pick up now seeing it’s Jude.

“El?”

“Yeah?”

“Where are you? It’s been like ten minutes, are you OK?”

“Of course I am.” I look at Alex who acts like he isn’t paying attention but I see he is.

“I have your stuff, we can go home?”

“Yeah, sure… Meet me at my locker?”

“Good.” Jude hangs up.

“I guess I need to go so…”

“OK let’s.” Alex opens the door for me again. Oh, what a gentleman. 

****************************************************autor's note*

An update, FINALLY!!

First things first, I need to thank for more than a THOUSAND reads! I noticed a few days ago and you cannot imagine how happy I was. I still am. It is mental, really. 

Next thing, sorry I haven't updated in what seems like a hundred years. I really missed writing and I missed this story that is more or less my escape from reality and which has been helping me fight throught terrible period of my life... 

The thing this time is that everything has been crazy these 3 weeks and I was travelling a lot as well as going through tough times so when I got home I didn't get to writing. But this past week has been about trying to write again. It finally happened today and I got lost for a few precious minutes, it has been great. 

This note is getting inappropriately long, so I just want to thank you once again! You are the best! Comment if you like/dislike this and/or have any ideas how to make this story better! I have a notebook full of ideas, this is gonna rock!!

Thanks ONCE AGAIN, hope you are having a nice day!

Your thaknows0114 (sn)

*******************************************************