XXXV.

I need to get out of here.

The first thought that crosses my mind as Alex turns on his heel surprisingly doesn't correspond with how I actually feel. I don't need to leave, but I think I should. It simply feels like my time to leave this place, this sphere, at this very moment at least. So that is what I do.

By the time I reach the top of the stairs leading outside, however, I finally start feeling as one could expect I would feel after seeing him. I have to lean against the wall for support and I clutch the coats I am still holding in my arms close to my chest.

Come on, Elena.

Snap out of it.

I try to focus my vision on my boots for a few seconds, using them as my footing which I hope will stop my head from spinning. After several deep breaths, I finally manage to catch my breath and decide to look around. The street is relatively empty and the warm light of street lamps reflects on the wet pavement. The crisp air soothes my blazing lungs from inside as I take one deep breath after another.

I can hear Steph's voice before I see her and Katie emerge from the dimness of the club.

"Hey girl!" Katy notices me first. "For a minute there we thought you left us behind!"

"You've no idea what you've missed!" Steph chimes in excited and relieves my heavy arms of her coat. "We just passed the frontman when we left the bathroom!"

"Almost sounds like a cool story when you say it like that," Katy laughs. "Seriously, though, Alex is so hot up close! So hot!"

I smile and nod and follow the two excited girls who continue talking about Alex's hotness as we head towards home. They start making up a theory about how when you meet a cool person some of their swagger rubs off on you and I laugh.

In a minute or two, before we even reach the first corner on our way home, I can hear quick steps of someone approaching us from behind echoing in the empty street.

"You're not leaving?" A voice clearly out of breath asks behind my back as its owner stops dead in his tracks. I turn around to face Alex.

"Ehm, I..." I stutter, avoiding his surprisingly direct gaze. "I was, actually," I let out a shaky breath. "I mean – we were, actually."

Alex frowns. "I thought..."

This is when the girls finally notice I am no longer with them.

"Alex!" Katy exclaims from quite a distance. He snaps and looks her way but his eyes are back on mine in a split second. I finally notice that his hair is a bit longer now than it used to be, and its dark brown looks almost black in the dimly lit street.

Katy jumps to my side and locks our arms, with a wide smile showing her teeth and her eyes fixed on Alex, who finally fully looks her way.

"Hello," he nods his head friendly, his hands in pockets of his jeans. He smiles at Steph, who is watching him in silent admiration, too.

"Oh," I let out awkwardly. "This is... Steph. And Katy. Alex." He nods his head again but the girls stare at me instead for a change, confused. I realize that they must be debating whether I am just being weird or if there is even the slightest possibility I had previously known Alex.

"So did you enjoy the show?" Alex breaks the awkward silence and smiles at the girls.

"Yes! Of course! You guys..." Katy starts.

"...were awesome!" Steph wants her share in the conversation.

Alex nods modestly, checking his converse quickly and then raising his eyes to meet mine, suddenly looking much less self-assured. I sense curiosity in his soft hazel gaze.