IV.

"Eyyy, wait up ya!" I hear Sue yelling at me as I am leaving the building after my last class is over. First day went better than I expected. I got to know some new people, didn't screw anything up... Yeah. A successful day indeed.

"What is it, Sue?" I ask Sue who got to me catching for breath.

"Well, we thought you maybe have time to join us this Friday... There will be a party at a boy's place. Don't worry, I asked him. He won't mind if we bring you. So... what do you say?"

"Ehm, I dunno... I am not a party person, really."

"Come on, we want you there! You're quite nice to hang up with, Elen."

"WE?"

"Yeah, we. Our humble party which had the pleasure of sharing a table with you this lunch, remember?" She starts to laugh and corrects herself "Well, basically, Jude made me ask you, but I would've asked you anyway. So? You comin'?"

"Um, I'll ask my host family first, I guess. This only is my second week with them, don't wanna screw things up you know."

"Righty, lemme know." She smiles and runs to Jack awaiting on the next side of the road.

I walk home alone. The house of my host family is not far from my school, it is just about a twenty minutes' walk. I want to get to know the city a bit better this way. I used to walk a lot back home as well, it is a nice way to be alone. Once you are in a bus, you are forced to think about people around you or you have to avoid or keep conversations. I hate that.

It starts to drizzle, but I don't worry, I have my thick denim jacket on and an umbrella in my backpack.

I walk for 15 minutes when I find out I am lost. I must have taken a wrong turn couple of minutes ago. I have no idea where to go and as this area of Sheffield, High Green, is quite big and everything around is new to me, I don't want to risk running completely out of my area. I dig into my backpack to find my phone and to phone Adam, my "father" for next 10 months. He made me swear I am gonna call in case something like this happens.

The phone rings for twenty seconds and he picks up. "Whaddup kiddo?" I find him funny. He is thirty five and he keeps on talking to me the way he talks to his 5 year old son, Olly.

"Sorry for interrupting you, are you busy?"

"Nah, you lost?"

"How did you know?"

"Not hard to guess, El. Where are ya?"

"Ehm..." I see a familiar figure approaching me from side. It is Alex. OK, this is more than awkward. What if he thinks I followed him? Gosh... "Actually... Have no idea. Will call back, ok?" I hang up hearing Adam laughing.

"Heeeey ya!" Alex seems amused. I turn around so I can get to the corner of the street I am on and read the sign with the street's name. "Wait up, El!" What is this thing with everybody calling me El? Do all guys here shorten others' names?

I turn around, put a surprised face on. "Oh, hey? Didn't..." See ya there.

"See me here? Come on, you did." He laughs, now walking with me.

I remain silent. Alex seems talkative, though. He keeps his maroon eyes on me. It makes me nervous, but the fact he acts like a douche makes things easier.

"You live around 'ere or summat?"

"Well, I don't know. I am lost... sort of. I need to find a sign with the name of this street..."

"You're not from 'ere, are ya? From this country I mean."

"Nope, I am an exchange student. You were on English with Mr Smith today, right? He said it."

"You got me, I am an ignorant dickhead." Alex claims, not looking as if he was sorry for being the dickhead. The wink is present once again. What is wrong with the guy?

I simply nod in agreement which makes him laugh.

"Alright, I know the name of th' street. What is it for?"

"Adam is gonna pick me up and I need to tell him where I am."

"Adam?"

"My host father. Why do I tell you anyway?"

"Easy easy, El. What is wrong about a conversation?" I remain silent. One cannot keep a conversation without point like this one.

"Lost words once again, did ya?" Wink. I am starting to vastly dislike him. You are attractive, English and your accent is just perfect, but that does not mean you can act like this.

"Maybe if you tell me where you live, I can help you?"

"No thanks."

"You really want Adam to come all this way?" Did he say all this way without even knowing where I live? "Just tell me, I can help."

"Ugh... Adam's house is right next to the big ass park, if you tell me which way it is, I will find my way then with no problem."

"Mortomley Park you mean?" he chuckles.

"I believe yes."

"Big ass..." Now he is laughing hysterically. He checks himself and continues "That is how you call mid-sized parks in... ehm. Where are you from."

It was not a question, but I am wanting to share it with him to see his face. Maybe he doesn't even know the country, many folks here don't. "Slovakia. I am from Slovakia."

"Right. Homesick?" He looks concerned. Why would he care?

We keep on walking, I totally forgot he should have told me which way to go.

"It's my first week, what do you think?"

"Well, I would miss High Green the moment I get away."

Is this the douche who winks after every other word he says? I am confused.

"You are right, I miss my place a bit. But it's pretty awesome here so... yeah. Not that bad."

He nods. We remain silent for a few moments when I finally realize what are we about.

"So which way?"

"Which way what?"

"Is the park?" I begin to be nervous. My phone starts to ring and I pick it up.

"Adam? Yeah, I guess I have the way, stay where you are... Yes I am sure, I can manage. See you too. Right."

Alex gets his cocky mood on again. "Daddy is afraid, huh? There are all sorts of creeps around 'ere ya know."

"Yeah, one does not have to go far to meet one."

His smile freezes for a nanosecond. He nods and pretends he doesn't get my remark.

"I am going the same way as ya, actually, so. No need to show you. Just follow."

He starts walking again as he says it. I have to run to get to him.

We get to the park in about 10 minutes. We are silent. It's not an awkward silence, however, it suits us both.

"OK, I know it here. Thanks for help."

"This is me mate's house actually, so, yeah." He is behind my back already but carries on talking. "See ya, El?"

"See ya, Al." I respond without looking at him. I wonder if he could hear me though.